Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I add speakers to 2.1 to get 5.1?

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2012 12:50:48 PM

This week I upgraded from integrated w/cheapo speakers to Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe w/Logitech Z623. Loving the difference. So much so, that now I'm wondering about what I'm missing in 5.1. When i went down the 2.1 path, I thought later I'll can add 3 speakers to 2.1 to get 5.1. Being that I'm not now finding that idea on the web, I think I painted myself in a corner. Except for feeling dumb, if I was wrong I'll still be pretty happy in this corner for a long time.
1. Generally, is this upgrade possible? 2.1 + 3 = 5.1
2. If yes to #1, what's your recommendation to add to my CURRENT combo? (Please avoid anything that involves selling Recon3D/Z623 or how much better something else is. That ship already sailed.)

If it makes a difference, my priorities and actual time are games 70%, music 20%, video 10%.

More about : add speakers

Best solution

June 9, 2012 3:05:13 PM

1. for you it makes no difference, in fact i'll take a quality 2.1 system over the many junk 5.1 systems out there. fact is for most people they sit so close to the speakers you would really have a hard time telling the difference between your center speaker and L&R.

2. your sub acts like a receiver, it takes the signal from your sound card and sends it out to to each respective speaker along with powering them. you would need a new sub capable of powering 5 and sending a signal to five speakers. it would then need to be compatible with your current two speakers.

3. in order to build a system with the same tone, you need the same speaker so 3 more Z623 speakers otherwise you have some speakers that sound slightly different from others.

4. i have a mirage OMNI bookshelf 5.1 (not the little nano's but the large bookshelf) set up for my HT. For watching movies, 5.1 is great. a must have for HT fans. For music, i still like stereo sound. It just sounds more natural. For gaming I have the klipsch THX 2.1 set up (similar to yours) and can say it sounds great. Better then all the 5.1 tin can set ups I have listened to at best buy & microcenter.
So really you are creating a set up that you would using 10% of the time if that.

5. more then likely you will need to purchase a new 5.1 system. the other option would be to send the signal digitally (optical) to a receiver connected to a 5.1 set up you already own (assuming you own one).
June 9, 2012 3:33:12 PM

You can not add speakers to the Logitech Z623 as it only has output for 2.1.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 5:15:29 PM

ct1615 said:
1. for you it makes no difference, in fact i'll take a quality 2.1 system over the many junk 5.1 systems out there. fact is for most people they sit so close to the speakers you would really have a hard time telling the difference between your center speaker and L&R.

2. your sub acts like a receiver, it takes the signal from your sound card and sends it out to to each respective speaker along with powering them. you would need a new sub capable of powering 5 and sending a signal to five speakers. it would then need to be compatible with your current two speakers.

3. in order to build a system with the same tone, you need the same speaker so 3 more Z623 speakers otherwise you have some speakers that sound slightly different from others.

4. i have a mirage OMNI bookshelf 5.1 (not the little nano's but the large bookshelf) set up for my HT. For watching movies, 5.1 is great. a must have for HT fans. For music, i still like stereo sound. It just sounds more natural. For gaming I have the klipsch THX 2.1 set up (similar to yours) and can say it sounds great. Better then all the 5.1 tin can set ups I have listened to at best buy & microcenter.
So really you are creating a set up that you would using 10% of the time if that.

5. more then likely you will need to purchase a new 5.1 system. the other option would be to send the signal digitally (optical) to a receiver connected to a 5.1 set up you already own (assuming you own one).

Thanks, I appreciate the answers. You even anticipated some questions I would have come to eventually. I should have clarified that the 10% video is just crap YouTube quality. I watch movies on home theater like normal folks. With that clarification, I can close the door on 5.1 (wasn't looking forward to placing extra speakers and cables). Although I wasn't smart in my planning, sometimes being lucky is good enough. Thanks again.
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:17:12 PM

Best answer selected by Aegean BM.
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:20:28 PM

those youtube video are all in stereo anyways.
m
l
!