Monitor connections

wordjuggler

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hi,

Buying a new monitor and wondering how important connections are.

A lot seem to have DVI only - is there any advantage to paying more for a monitor that has both DVI and HDMI?

I have separate speakers for my computer because in my experience monitor speakers are generally pretty poor.

Blair

Solution
If your only going to use your monitor for your computer, then DVI is fine. However, in the future you may want to multi-purpose your monitor and use it for other input. For instance, I have my computer hooked up to my DVI connector, an XBox through the HDMI and a TV tuner through the VGA.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

Advantage? No. However it does make the monitor more universal. Many smart phones/laptops consoles use HDMI so it makes connecting those to a monitor easier.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
If your only going to use your monitor for your computer, then DVI is fine. However, in the future you may want to multi-purpose your monitor and use it for other input. For instance, I have my computer hooked up to my DVI connector, an XBox through the HDMI and a TV tuner through the VGA.

Solution
G

DVI and HDMI give you the same image quality. The difference is that HDMI carries audio and video; DVI only carries video. Since you won't be using your monitor speakers, DVI should do fine.