GSM900/GSM1800 bands in United States.

I have a cell phone only compatible with
GSM900 and GSM1800 bands.Can I use it in
all regions within the United States?Or
this bands have only limited support
in the USA?

Thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about gsm900 gsm1800 bands united states

    John Henderson wrote:
    > No support whatever in fact. These bands are not used in the
    > US. A slice of toast will work just as well as your phone will
    > there :(

    It amazes me, this late in the game, that Europeans & Asians still show
    up in the US with 900/1800 handsets and conclude, "I guess they don't
    have any GSM in the USA." I've loaned spare handsets to several such.

    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    Nuno Romano wrote:

    > I have a cell phone only compatible with
    > GSM900 and GSM1800 bands.Can I use it in
    > all regions within the United States?Or
    > this bands have only limited support
    > in the USA?

    No support whatever in fact. These bands are not used in the
    US. A slice of toast will work just as well as your phone will
    there :(

    John

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:39:32 +0100, Nuno Romano
    <nuno_romano@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have a cell phone only compatible with
    >GSM900 and GSM1800 bands.Can I use it in
    >all regions within the United States?Or
    >this bands have only limited support
    >in the USA?
    >
    > Thanks.
    In general, it won't work in North America. With some very limited and
    very specific exceptions for short periods, there is no GSM900 or
    GSM1800 service in the USA. Some operators have GSM service in the
    old AMPS 850Mhz Band, but most of it is at 1900Mhz.

    "Nuno Romano" <nuno_romano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a cell phone only compatible with
    > GSM900 and GSM1800 bands.Can I use it in
    > all regions within the United States?Or
    > this bands have only limited support
    > in the USA?

    You can't use it anywhere in the USA.

    "matt weber" <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote in message

    > In general, it won't work in North America. With some very limited and
    > very specific exceptions for short periods, there is no GSM900 or
    > GSM1800 service in the USA. Some operators have GSM service in the
    > old AMPS 850Mhz Band, but most of it is at 1900Mhz.

    Actually, GSM is pretty well divided between the 800MHz (not 850) and the
    1900 PCS bands. The only carrier that is strictly 1900MHz is T-Mobile.

    Cingular and ..... Well, there isn't another major carrier that uses GSM any
    more - is both 800MHz and 1900MHz.

    In article <1114847972.836289.22420@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Donald N" <d_r_newcomb@my-deja.com> wrote:

    > John Henderson wrote:
    > > No support whatever in fact. These bands are not used in the
    > > US. A slice of toast will work just as well as your phone will
    > > there :(
    >
    > It amazes me, this late in the game, that Europeans & Asians still show
    > up in the US with 900/1800 handsets and conclude, "I guess they don't
    > have any GSM in the USA." I've loaned spare handsets to several such.
    >
    > Donald Newcomb
    > DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    They prob dun wanna pay for a Triband/Quadband phone cuz the extra bands
    are "only for the states". Of course, there are some people here that
    go to Asia expecting their "dual band GSM" phone to work because of
    advertising and not reading that they need a world band phone.

    stupidity all around.

    Will a 900MHz GSM phone work in the United States?

    In most cases, no. 900MHz GSM services will work in Washington DC only.
    Since Washington DC is home to many foreign diplomats, special
    considerations have been given to the area. In the US, 1900 GSM service is
    available in most areas. Please be sure to check local carriers such as
    Voicestream or Cingular wireless to verify that there is coverage in your
    area.

    begin 666 top.gif
    M1TE&.#EA/@`6`-4``/___P0$! @(" P,$!08(!PD,"0L/#A$8#Q,;$14?%1H
    MF&1TG&!XL&1XK&2 N&B N&B O&R$O&R$Q(2$A&R(R'"(R'"0T'20T'20U)"0
    MD'24U'R4S'B4V(24O)24E'R8V'R8X("@Y("@Z(B@V(2@Z(2D\*2DI(BHY(2H
    M\(BH\(BH^(BL^(RL^*RLK(RP^(RP_ZBPQ+"PL)BX],# P,S4X-C8V-S<W.#D
    MY.#L^.3L].SL[/#P\/3T]/3T^/CX^/___R'Y! ED````+ `````^`!8```;_
    M0(!PZ"ON<,BD<LEL.I^XW' **/)T--EKR^UZO^"PF.N2]::^JTT[;KO?7AE.
    MF-;5V/"\'FRNVF%O+BX*&'N&730^.S8Q(VTL*B@.`@0E72PK*P:;G F'<3XZ
    M,R:.8BPI(A$#`0$&*UNG)"";! $%!IZ?9#PW,QZE8"XK(1&UK $'6RLE'!41
    M$0@!"R4E"@4!! DK*@@&"@,$%6X\C+]B*R(4U\>LGLL<$@X,!P$*'Q !`PG7
    M"B$&K0@&#'"SHT:,#,"\++M C]TQ!J="6)!'3T&%: DN6&A5X5\$#M$>M"EX
    M,"&9%" D)$B `,%*!0XDI'C!`L6'>-$41*"7( *^_P(/KC&0$,W!2(,(P2QT
    MX) =`A8OACG+^4!!O@/7$CBX5N" 0!='2RH548'!,0%HT0;()15:O0<.]F$[
    M(.\:/0(1P(IQL2B&APY*4S)80+BP@PHB7D45<8'"!0X:)$!X`"$"!0H/&%R#
    M(.$#BC8RR/F=`-6+"K(0'*A>'>$""<4LF&$`(2($A@H2''.X`$%S@ H<2B@6
    M0X/7J F %98`P0$#!@T:GG,(@:*TL!(D2J1(L?P#;1+PJBH`44*%WC"A0]5H
    MD0%YZ2W"5J"@1K\$BA7O:6;"CVG%=O\A7 "<<"N<Q\<-5O1B0GL9=##""1!&
    M*.&$%%88X0@;;/"!A1*.`&U##3OX4,4B,[3@@0<9I*CBBBRVZ&*+$TSP8HHG
    MFC!##3H4484B-]0P0PQ MB#DD$06:>212!H)9 PSS&"##CR(2$<=-]A0PY58
    F9JGEEEQVZ>65-^@0HI1HI,'##FBFJ>::;+;IYIMH1DDF`$$``#L`
    `
    end

    "deachgo" <notadp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Will a 900MHz GSM phone work in the United States?

    NO! No place in the uSA has 900MHz cellular service of any flavor.

    > In most cases, no. 900MHz GSM services will work in Washington DC only.

    No, not even in DC.

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 12:24:28 GMT, "John S"
    <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote:

    >"deachgo" <notadp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Will a 900MHz GSM phone work in the United States?
    >
    >NO! No place in the uSA has 900MHz cellular service of any flavor.
    >
    >> In most cases, no. 900MHz GSM services will work in Washington DC only.
    >
    >No, not even in DC.

    That is not quite true, the FCC has permitted 900 Mhz Microcells for
    specific International conferences. They are operating only as long
    as the conference is on, and the channels are choosen to insure that
    it would not interfere with any existing services.

    However outside that specific circumstance, there is no 900Mhz.

    matt weber wrote:
    > That is not quite true, the FCC has permitted 900 Mhz Microcells for
    > specific International conferences. They are operating only as long
    > as the conference is on, and the channels are choosen to insure that
    > it would not interfere with any existing services.

    Can you name when this has happened? The last instance I know of was
    about 1995. I'm sure that electronics manufacturers also get permits to
    set up systems out in the boonies for test and evaluation but that's
    only trivia as far as we are concerned.

    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    >>No, not even in DC.
    >>
    > That is not quite true, the FCC has permitted 900 Mhz Microcells for
    > specific International conferences. They are operating only as long
    > as the conference is on, and the channels are choosen to insure that
    > it would not interfere with any existing services.
    >
    > However outside that specific circumstance, there is no 900Mhz.

    Keep in mind that these microcells are restricted to INSIDE the particular
    convention center too. Outside on the sidewalk, in the local hotels, etc....
    still NO 900/1800 service.

    I looked and the only time I could find clear proof of this was when GSM
    World was in MN. This is probably the conference you talked about. If used
    the 900mhz signal, you would be roaming on a Swedish carrier.

    The Washington DC stuff is an urban legend. In any event, what diplomat is
    not going to own a triband?

    Stu

    <nuno_romano@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have a cell phone only compatible with
    >GSM900 and GSM1800 bands.Can I use it in
    >all regions within the United States?Or
    >this bands have only limited support
    >in the USA?

    They will not work anywhere in the US or North America (except Cuba.)

    900 Mhz used in Cuba and Venezuela.

GSM Cell Phones Compatibility