Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard vs PSU vs Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 7:11:01 PM

I have a Gateway LX6810-01 desktop and would like to upgrade my graphics card to an EVGA GTX560Ti. In doing so I will need to upgrade the power supply. Is the FSP AU-700 a good fit with this computer and this grapics card? Do you have any other suggestions for a PSU in the $100-130 range? Thanks for any help, -Tom
a c 179 U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 12:34:48 AM

To run the Graphic card you need a 500w PSU or better. Go to newegg.com and brands you need to look at are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, and Coolmaster, Here are two links to compair. But don't get that FSP 700w it is one of the worst one's you can get. These two PSU's are one to the better types, lets say they are near the top and well with in your budget. I wish you Good luck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:01:39 AM

Take off Cooler Master^.
Those are both excellent PSUs, and 500W is plenty. I'd go with the Antec, especially if you pay your own power bills: it's more efficient.
Related resources
December 24, 2011 2:18:38 PM

Thaks for the advice. I am a rookie on a limited budget, so I want to make sure I get it right. Could you do me a favor and compare the specs of my motherboard with the video card and let me know if they are compatible. Should I be looking at a 500w PSU or should I move up to a 600-700w just to be sure? Again, any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!
December 24, 2011 4:12:14 PM

With possible expansion in mind, do you like the Antec 650w as well? I seen some cons about excessive cables, is there a modular or semi-modular one I should consider as well?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 8:00:44 PM

Expansion can here only mean Crossfire, which you can't do on your motherboard, so no.
If you were to do a fresh build in the future and go high-end SLI with this PSU within the next three or four years, then you could go 750W. If not, 500W.
December 25, 2011 2:43:14 AM

kajabla said:
Expansion can here only mean Crossfire, which you can't do on your motherboard, so no.
If you were to do a fresh build in the future and go high-end SLI with this PSU within the next three or four years, then you could go 750W. If not, 500W.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Have a Merry Christmas!
-Tom
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2011 2:21:27 PM

Merry Christmas to you as well (Das Keyboard on this end now :D ).
!