Sign in with
Your question

AMD 7970 @ $550 (poll inside)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Are you planning on buying at least one AMD 7970 card?

Total: 56 votes (7 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 26 %
  • No
  • 56 %
  • Dunno
  • 18 %
December 23, 2011 8:15:08 PM

I know there are a ton of AMD fans on these forums. But at $550, let's see how many of you are still gonna bust out the ol wallet.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 8:18:27 PM

If money wasn't an issue, I'd lean strongly toward not getting it due to the lack of CUDA or something similar to it (I don't know AMD's product line very well).
December 23, 2011 8:21:32 PM

ulillillia said:
If money wasn't an issue, I'd lean strongly toward not getting it due to the lack of CUDA or something similar to it (I don't know AMD's product line very well).

They do have something similar to CUDA, I think it's called OpenCL.
Related resources
December 23, 2011 10:11:28 PM

I put my order in today.

At first I believed the card was a dual gpu card and thought "nice benches but nothing amazing for dual gpu" but then I saw it was a single gpu card and that turned me over.

It cost me $250 more than listed in the reviews cause I'm in Europe and buying from a sh*tty shop that rips me off but they're the only one who can order it. I'm getting a Sapphire 7970 and it'll be here around Jan 20th.

This card is faster than my current card by a decent amount (I have a 5970) but this is single core so I have an upgrade path to drop in a 2nd and be on par with the 7990 and until then I will crank up my AA and not to worry about flickering shadows.

They did a great job with the new architecture so I feel like I'm getting a Fermi with an AMD logo slapped on the side of it.
a c 359 U Graphics card
a c 119 À AMD
December 23, 2011 10:37:27 PM

Nah. My HD 5850 is doing just fine.

I'll upgrade when the Radeon HD 8xxx series comes out... and when Intel's Haswell comes out as well.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 23, 2011 10:44:06 PM

I think the card looks hot, and as soon as a good cooler is put on it, I'd LOVE one, BUT I have plenty of power now, and my 3D monitor type would keep me with Nvidia unless I changed that too.
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 11:52:22 PM

Won't there be a few issues with the new cards as to working out the bugs? Spending all that money then have it kaboom on you. You would get your money back but the time. No I think I will watch the new cards for a while and see how they preform and that goes for the Nvidia cards
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 24, 2011 12:26:06 AM

I'm never in the market for a $500+ video card. But I'd say they are priced well considering the HD 7970 can beat the GTX 580 more often than not. There just isn't a mass market at this price range, but for enthusiasts its a good buy.

I'm more of a bang for buck person, and I have plans to go multimonitor. Ideally that would be running two cards in crossfire. I'm looking at a pair of HD 6950s or something comparable. Initially though I'll prolly just get one card.

I'm much more interested in seeing the rest of AMD's lineup. Maybe a 7950 or something in the 7800s.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 24, 2011 12:27:11 AM

I think the price isn't as bad as some make it out. It's a bit more then a normal GTX580 which it can beat in benchies, and cheaper then the 3GB GTX580s. It can perform close to the 6990, which is $150+ more expensive when you can find it. And don't forget its supposed to come with the adapters you need to eyefinity so that helps with the price as well.

That said I'm not in the market for a new card right now. Perhaps if my current card dies I'll consider one of the lower 7 series cards. But I don't play the newest games so older cards are fine for me. (TF2 doesn't need a lot of GPU power.)
a c 230 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 24, 2011 12:30:51 AM

I don't buy "Revision A" hardware .... I'll look in June when both cards have had their cards out a while and the individual vendors have tweaked the hell outta them and all the non reference factory OC'd models with better r voltage regulation and bigger coolers are out.
December 24, 2011 1:36:28 PM

I would seriously consider it, if I didn't already have 6970 running in crossfire. I'll probably end up waiting a couple more generations before upgrading again. And even if I did I still wouldn't ever buy the first in line, I'd wait a bit for prices to come down and bugs to be worked out.
December 24, 2011 1:56:12 PM

no, i never buy amd cards anyway
December 24, 2011 8:25:54 PM

I saw that in Europe, the 7970 is $900 for preorder; OUCH!
December 25, 2011 1:49:13 AM

Funny how Nvidia has been releasing over-priced cards for years and when AMD does it once....people complain. Get a clue guys. How much was the GTX580 at release? Exactly and this card spanks it like a naughty schoolgirl.
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 3:42:02 AM

nah, too pricey. If the price go down then yes I will buy. If the something replaces 6950 (probably 7870) maybe it'll not be pricey and have good price/performance.
December 25, 2011 6:34:23 AM

mikeny said:
I saw that in Europe, the 7970 is $900 for preorder; OUCH!

I got mine coming for $800. I feel lucky now. Everything is expensive here. One place is selling $2000 Macbook Pros for $3400. Dell is a luxury brand and not cheap like in the us. Levis are $200 a pair. I remember spending $20 for 1 liter of coke and 500ml of icecream every night at 7-Elevent in Copenhagen.

It's not just the prices being high, it's also the selection. Sometimes a company sells something awesome in the US and then the european version is a cheaper version with a different model number, lower stats and more expensive.

In some places here there just isn't a selection. You buy what's on the shelf and since people are poor there is nothing on the shelf except low end part. If you want a cool new product then you may get "we can't get that" or you have to order it from somewhere else yourself. Mind you that's just in the developing eu countries. I order a lot of my stuff from the uk germany and france. I could go on forever about my experiences with trying to get stuff in europe. It breaks my heart.
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 25, 2011 7:26:26 AM

£350-£450 is about as much as most in the uk are willing to pay. im at the bottom end of that scale... there is a point where the performance is overshadowed by price and i think this card has hit it with a $550 £400 price tag...

currently i dont see any single gpu card that is worth that amount of money. especially when they hardly every get used to the max. i have had my 5870 for 2 years now and its only ever been stressed a half dozen times.. (i mean on a per game basis). all the promise of dx11 and we never saw much of it... now they want to sell us 11.1 they never fully used 11... whats the point of 1.5 times the performance if all the games are made for 5 year old hardware then ported back to pc... nope this is getting silly.

£350 and thats my final offer. if they cant sell it to me for that i dont want it. even if it is that good.
December 25, 2011 6:11:55 PM

woshitudou said:
Levis are $200 a pair.

Wow, I just bought several pairs from walmart for $20 CAD each. Actual Levis.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 25, 2011 6:24:13 PM

intel4eva said:

Keep in mind, that Target and Walmart versions of Levis are their lower quality versions. They are still good, and I wear them myself, but for higher end stores, they do supply a higher quality product.
December 25, 2011 9:04:47 PM

intel4eva said:

I use to buy jeans from Steve&Barry's for $8.95 USD before they went out of business. Before that, $30 from Old Navy and before that; $35-40 from Gap. It's ironic, the $8.95 jeans last the longest. Old Navy teared within a month; same as the Gap. I've since switched to Arizona Jeans; $20ish. This reminds me when gas shot up to over $3 and many from the Europe were like...."we've been paying over $5 for a while; quit complaining." It would be nice if prices would fall so everyone can afford things in general.

Anyway.......I might get the 7970; then when the price drops because no one buys it, perhaps get another to CF but Nvidia intrigues me. I was thinking perhaps a 570 or 580GTX...one shoulder has Nvida, the other has Radeon lol....ugg! Part of me thinks the 7970's $550 price tag would be for FPS fans. Perhaps not for someone who plays MMO's and Civ 5.
December 26, 2011 3:40:40 AM

mikeny said:
I use to buy jeans from Steve&Barry's for $8.95 USD before they went out of business. Before that, $30 from Old Navy and before that; $35-40 from Gap. It's ironic, the $8.95 jeans last the longest. Old Navy teared within a month; same as the Gap. I've since switched to Arizona Jeans; $20ish. This reminds me when gas shot up to over $3 and many from the Europe were like...."we've been paying over $5 for a while; quit complaining." It would be nice if prices would fall so everyone can afford things in general.
MMO's and Civ 5.

It bothers me that because someone is poor they can't afford to buy things. With games as an example, the only way a poor person can get games is to pirate them but pirating is illegal so it's "Because you're poor you can not have fun like everyone else". Eventually they get the game when it's outdated on sale but it sucks being excited for something with everyone else and then sitting on the sidelines while the others enjoy it.

mikeny said:
Anyway.......I might get the 7970; then when the price drops because no one buys it, perhaps get another to CF but Nvidia intrigues me. I was thinking perhaps a 570 or 580GTX...one shoulder has Nvida, the other has Radeon lol....ugg! Part of me thinks the 7970's $550 price tag would be for FPS fans. Perhaps not for someone who plays MMO's and Civ 5.

When I'm shopping for new vid cards I don't take brand in to consideration either. I can't say no to awesome hardware. I try to always buy the best stuff I can though so I can get as many years as I can of top quality visuals.
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 26, 2011 7:13:28 AM

vote for no. 2. my system will bottleneck the card anyway plus i don't pay more than $300 for gpu alone. might get my next gpu after upgrading my system to ivy system.

offender_mullet said:
Funny how Nvidia has been releasing over-priced cards for years and when AMD does it once....people complain. Get a clue guys. How much was the GTX580 at release? Exactly and this card spanks it like a naughty schoolgirl.

because people are used with nvidia = over price. amd = will always sell their card cheaper given the performance is the same as nvidia card. heck some people even believe that amd will continue to sell their card for cheap even if they have the performance crown
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 26, 2011 9:28:02 AM

that card costs over half my system :o 
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 26, 2011 3:30:58 PM

Quote:
It bothers me that because someone is poor they can't afford to buy things. With games as an example, the only way a poor person can get games is to pirate them but pirating is illegal so it's "Because you're poor you can not have fun like everyone else". Eventually they get the game when it's outdated on sale but it sucks being excited for something with everyone else and then sitting on the sidelines while the others enjoy it.

An interesting point that raises many cans of worms. Better suited for a Government or perhaps history class. I do not deny that it sucks or that its happening. But it relates a bit more to our form of government then technology.
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 12:49:34 AM

You know there will be the people who have to be better than the Jones or the Andersons and they will be like in the long lines waiting for the store to open up so they can be the first ones to have it.

Really I don't feel the need and I don't understand the desire to be the first one on the block to own one. I also don't understand what the need is for, if my neighbor has one now I have to go get one but I will get a better one. I guess this is my curiousity as why.
!