D70 or D70s?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
May 31, 2005 6:19:22 AM

My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.

As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money for
the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know how
yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?

More about : d70 d70s

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:19:23 AM

"Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
> understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
> camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
> firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
> as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
> I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
>
> As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
> for
> the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
> how
> yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
> really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?

You've pretty much summed it up, except for the remote control. The S has a
cable release which the older model does not. I'm pretty sure they both
have a wireless remote. I know the D70 does. The S also has an improved
rubber eyecup. The firmware upgrade is easy to do, and you just have to
decide whether the few extra features are worth it. They are both great
cameras, very similar, and you can't go wrong with either. Check
www.dpreview.com for reviews.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:19:23 AM

I just bought a D70 two days ago because qne with the rebate it was
$340 less than what the D70s is selling for. The upgraded battery can
be purchased as a second battery. I don't think you will notice the
slight difference in screen size. Really the major difference is the
cable which I can live without. The firmware is easy to update, it
will take you about five minutes.

I am quite happy with my D70 and the price I paid for it. Go to
www.pricegrabber.com and do a search for D70 and look at the prices.

Bruce
May 31, 2005 7:12:23 AM

"Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
> understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to
> this camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has
> updated firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new
> features such as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote
> control, etc. I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
>
> As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional
> money for the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware
> (don't know how yet) but would like to get the most features for the
> best value. Does it really make much difference for someone new to
> digital cameras?

How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the market
yet and no one knows the price of?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:52:55 PM

"Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
> understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
> camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
> firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
> as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
> I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
>
> As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
> for
> the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
> how
> yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
> really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?

Personaly I cannot live without a cable release or mirrow lockup.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:57:17 PM

> "Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> My wife just bought me a Nikon D70 & Kit for my birthday. However, I
>> understand that for $100-$200 more Nikon has released an update to this
>> camera called the D70s. It is my understanding that the D70s has updated
>> firmware (which can be downloaded to the D70) along with new features such
>> as a new improved battery, larger LCD Monitor, & remote control, etc.
>> I have 8 days to decide if I want to trade for the D70s.
>>
>> As a newbee to digital cameras is it worth spending the additional money
>> for
>> the new features? I know I can download the updated firmware (don't know
>> how
>> yet) but would like to get the most features for the best value. Does it
>> really make much difference for someone new to digital cameras?
>>

> Personaly I cannot live without a cable release or mirrow lockup.

Can you live with them impersonally?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:08:52 PM

The D70 uses a remote control and the D70s uses a cable. I am not
likely to use either. As for mirrow lockup, if you need to take shots
from a tripod with the shutter opened from 1 to 30 seconds, then you
will want a mirror lock up (MLU). If you don't do this, you wont miss
that feature. If mirror lock is important consider looking at a Canon
20d.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:47:40 AM

Bubbabob wrote:
> How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the market
> yet and no one knows the price of?

Particularly when you can get a psuedo 'wired remote' on eBay that works
via the infrared remote sensor, for either D70 or D70s. You do lose
the half-press capability, but I have no need for half-press when using
a tripod (am usually manual focusing anyway, in M exposure mode), so
this solution works fine for me. Personally, I'd go with another D70 if
I needed another body (I'm thinking of picking one up to convert into a
dedicated Infrared body), and pocket the $$$ difference vs. the D70s.

RM
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:26:23 AM

RM <rainmen1956@yahooREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

> Bubbabob wrote:
>> How badly do you want to attach a release cable that isn't on the
>> market yet and no one knows the price of?
>
> Particularly when you can get a psuedo 'wired remote' on eBay that
> works
> via the infrared remote sensor, for either D70 or D70s. You do lose
> the half-press capability, but I have no need for half-press when
> using a tripod (am usually manual focusing anyway, in M exposure
> mode), so this solution works fine for me. Personally, I'd go with
> another D70 if I needed another body (I'm thinking of picking one up
> to convert into a dedicated Infrared body), and pocket the $$$
> difference vs. the D70s.
>
> RM

I made a device from an alligator clip and a cut-down adjustable
inspection mirror got the idea on the net) that clips onto the left strap
fitting and works perfectly for triggering the infrared remote from
behind. It was about a $4.00 investment plus a minute of hacksaw and file
time.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:09:18 AM

On 31 May 2005 17:08:52 -0700, brucedarby@yahoo.com wrote:

>The D70 uses a remote control and the D70s uses a cable. I am not
>likely to use either. As for mirrow lockup, if you need to take shots
>from a tripod with the shutter opened from 1 to 30 seconds, then you
>will want a mirror lock up (MLU). If you don't do this, you wont miss
>that feature. If mirror lock is important consider looking at a Canon
>20d.

Just recieved my D70 Kit the other day, All I have to say is WOW!!!!
What a Great Camera. And not a bad piece of glass with the kit. This
has the latest 2.0 firmware installed on it.

IT ALSO HAS MIRROR LOCK UP.

Reason went with d70 over d70, same performance once firmware
upgraded, and about $200 less after rebate.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:09:19 AM

Kevin wrote:

> Just recieved my D70 Kit the other day, All I have to say is WOW!!!!
> What a Great Camera. And not a bad piece of glass with the kit. This
> has the latest 2.0 firmware installed on it.
>
> IT ALSO HAS MIRROR LOCK UP.

Sorry, that's only for cleaning the sensor, not for shooting with. I
have a D70 and am happy with it, the mirror lockup would be nice but...

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1