Just mounted Z68XP-UD4, having Windows problems. Help!!!!!

leebird

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Yesterday I started my build with i7 2600 (non-k), Z68XP-UD4, Thermaltake Black Widow 850W (from previous build) and 8GB Gskill 1866 ram. I mounted motherboard and did a preliminary test last night to see if everything was plugged in. Here's my problems: 1) Used onboard graphics because didn't have time to hook up geforce 470. 2) The hard drive with Windows 7 is EXTREMELY LOW on disk space. 3) My PSU is missing on the inner sleeves from disconnecting previous motherboard two days earlier (but don't know if it was always like this or not) 4) I did NOT load the Gigabyte software, so the HDD has none of the drivers, etc. from the included disk that came with the MB.

This is what happened: The system booted up and posted without much of a hitch. Then when my desktop appeared, I could hear the processor non-stop!! The Windows 7 CPU meter was pegged out, but RAM activity was steady. All of my icons appeared, but the system was SO DAMN SLOW!!! It took several minutes to change display properties.

I am wondering if a) I need to load Gigabyte software, b) Need to change RAM from 1866 to 1600, c) need to check PSU for power, d) all of the above.

I don't think it would have booted and posted if insufficient power was being sent to MB. Let me know, please!!

My guess is none of the above. Can you start the Task Manager, sort by decreasing CPU usage, and report what processes have the top CPU usage and how much they are using?

Just to be silly: You are the only person I have ever heard of who can hear the processor. Mine seems to be completely silent, although the fan on the cooler makes a little noise. ;)

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Istall the drivers that came with the Motherboard and see the difference. BTW is the Win 7 a fresh install? I ask this because, if that HDD is from another PC with an old OS(Operating System) which I'm not sure, you said the HDD has a little space so I assumed that it has some old drivers that is not compatible with your hardwares.