Sign in with
Your question

Power Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 8:37:22 PM

Hello!

I've just bought my new Gigabyte GTX 560 OC. It says 500w is recommended. But in my computer there is a 300w PSU only. My question is: Would my new Graphics Card work? Or something bad would happen?
Thank You four your time and for your replies!

More about : power problem

December 23, 2011 9:19:48 PM

Also, if its not good enough, I'm thinking about buying a Mercury M-Tech 550W. It's cheap enough.
December 23, 2011 9:24:08 PM

Also, if its not good enough, I'm thinking about buying a Mercury M-Tech 550W or an M-Tech 450W. They are cheap enough and good enough (I think).
Related resources
December 23, 2011 9:53:19 PM

Well thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for something cheaper. Something like 20 to MAXIMUM 40 USD. 60 is too much at the moment. M-Tech 450 is 20 USD and M-tech 550 is 25-30 USD. Just wanna be sure if one of those will be good.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 10:10:10 PM

you get what you pay for bud. you spend 20 dollars and you get something that will last a year. to be honest i have no clue about that brand you keep talking about. the power supply is something you dont cheap out on.
December 24, 2011 5:37:41 AM

cbrunnem said:
you get what you pay for bud. you spend 20 dollars and you get something that will last a year. to be honest i have no clue about that brand you keep talking about. the power supply is something you dont cheap out on.

Well, just 2 min. ago I've read the opposite of it, saying:
"It doesnt cost a lot to buy a unbranded PSU that will cost you nothing and will garantee you quality".
And I think its true Because I have a an unbranded 300w PSU in my computer, and it was in for 6 years and never had any problems with it.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 7:08:23 AM

Mettlord said:
"It doesnt cost a lot to buy a unbranded PSU that will cost you nothing and will garantee you quality".
And I think its true Because I have a an unbranded 300w PSU in my computer, and it was in for 6 years and never had any problems with it.

You weren't running a 560 card on it either.

Perhaps this article can help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specif...

I realize you want to save money, but the power supply is not the place to skimpnbwhen running a high power video card. Just because a cheap no name PSU says 450 or 500 watt, does not mean it's true. In fact, it usually is not.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 7:32:41 AM

tlmck, you know it is not a good idea. I know that it is not a good idea. But Mettlord has already made his decision.

Not know what the rest of his system is (cannot be too powerful because it runs on a 300 watt generic PSU), I estimate his power consumption at around 300 - 320 watts. And that crappy 550 watt PSU may be good enough to work at that power level.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 9:25:10 AM

Mettlord said:

You read that here ?
December 24, 2011 11:04:56 AM

the 560 is a good card! if iwere you ,i would not use a psu lower than the recommended one, get a branded one a seasonic m12ii 520 will suffice theeds of you card. underpower causes heat issue and instability. i would not waste my hard earnd money for using a low rated psu
December 25, 2011 6:14:47 PM

Thank you all for you replies.
Now, I'm thinking on another one. This is seems to much more reliable one.
What do you think about a Chieftec 500W CTG-500-80P ? This one looks better.
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 7:36:06 PM

Mettlord said:
Thank you all for you replies.
Now, I'm thinking on another one. This is seems to much more reliable one.
What do you think about a Chieftec 500W CTG-500-80P ? This one looks better.

where are you finding these power supplies. stop looking at the cheapest one. they are cheap for a reason. look at power supplies made by antec, corsair, xfx, seasonic, and ocz. anything other then those your going to get second rate reliability.
December 25, 2011 7:49:09 PM

cbrunnem said:
where are you finding these power supplies. stop looking at the cheapest one. they are cheap for a reason. look at power supplies made by antec, corsair, xfx, seasonic, and ocz. anything other then those your going to get second rate reliability.

LOL?? Chieftec is quality. I just asked for opinion, but received a bad one -.- . And its in the same price with the CORSAIR power supply that cbrunnem recommended me. Have you ever heard about Chieftec? Cause its not no-name.

EDIT: And it is the most wanted PSU in Hungary.
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 8:04:28 PM

Mettlord said:
LOL?? Chieftec is quality. I just asked for opinion, but received a bad one -.- . And its in the same price with the CORSAIR power supply that cbrunnem recommended me. Have you ever heard about Chieftec? Cause its not no-name.

i have never heard of it so i assumed it wasnt a good brand. its not on the biggest computer website online, newegg so it must not be a huge brand. read some reviews and go off them but you cant go wrong with the brands i listed.
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 12:41:36 AM

Mettlord said:

I do not know where you get your information, but it sounds like it is from someone who wishes to take your money and leave town. At any rate, I wish you good luck, and I would sincerely hope you invest in a good fire extinguisher.
December 26, 2011 9:41:55 AM

tlmck said:
I do not know where you get your information, but it sounds like it is from someone who wishes to take your money and leave town. At any rate, I wish you good luck, and I would sincerely hope you invest in a good fire extinguisher.

I don't know what are you talking about but i see the community is bad here. What money taker? There are shops you know. I buy from trusted shops only. And Corsair is in the same price with Chieftec and please visit this webpage before you post something stupid like now (calling a product s**t but you don't even know what it is. Fantastic. The dark side of the earth -.- ) (its just a tip for the future ;)  )
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 2:56:46 PM

Mettlord said:
I don't know what are you talking about but i see the community is bad here. What money taker? There are shops you know. I buy from trusted shops only. And Corsair is in the same price with Chieftec and please visit this webpage before you post something stupid like now (calling a product s**t but you don't even know what it is. Fantastic. The dark side of the earth -.- ) (its just a tip for the future ;)  )

to be fair you come on to a mainly american, i assume, forum and expect us to know a german company. we see a brand that has never been mentioned here and assume that its a knock off brand thats cheap and of poor quality.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 3:09:18 PM

cbrunnem said:
1 ) to be fair you come on to a mainly american, i assume, forum and expect us to know a german company. 2) we see a brand that has never been mentioned here

1. It's Worldwide
2. Type Chieftec into the search box, it's been being mentioned since long before your time here started
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 8:01:57 PM

Mettlord said:

All I see is a web site missing a lot of fine print. I also notice also they are only sold in countries with looser restrictions. How convenient.

As to my knowledge, I have been building my own PCs since 1988 and thanks to my Engineering degree, I can build a very good power supply from scratch given the right pile of parts. I also know how to handle the testing of such devices. Ever use an oscilloscope or Hipot tester?

Bottom line is, the folks here have been trying to help, but you seem more interested in pushing your own agenda for which I have no more time.
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 9:18:18 PM

delluser1 said:
1. It's Worldwide
2. Type Chieftec into the search box, it's been being mentioned since long before your time here started

i know its world wide but id assume its mostly american and english people on the site.
!