Your question

Computer doesn't start problem..

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 2:20:58 PM

Hi,

PC won't boot problem again, but i am quite baffled on what the problem is.

My specs first:

Windows 7 Ultimate
ASRock 770 Extreme 3
Gigabyte HD 6850
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
A-Data Gaming Series DDR3 2GB x2
Western Digital 640 GB HD
Antec Earthwatts 650W

Bought in January 2011 (just over the warranty for some of the above)

For the last few weeks, I have had some problems starting up my PC, when i turn it on it comes on for a few seconds (no Beeps) and didn't turn on. Not much difference in usage except I got Need for Speed the Run and have been playing a lot and also a Dell 27" monitor, graphics intensive?

I needed to take out the plug and wait a few minutes and turn it on again. (sometimes even taking things off the power extension, too much load?)

I went for a holiday for a few days and now it it doesn't turn on at all. after trying the method i used before.

Breadboarded the pc, started with just the mobo+cpu = the long beeps for the ram

added the ram, the 1 long 2-3 beeps for the video card

now whenever I put the graphics card in it goes on (fans turn on) and off after a few seconds...

I am assuming this is a graphics card problem..
however, i realise that everytime i try a to start the PC to check the POST, i need to wait a few minutes between starts for any beep or it powers on for a few seconds and off again, and if i try again too quickly it doesn't even go on at all.

I tried the corsair method to check if its the power supply and the fan i connected turned on fine when i put a pin in the green and black connectors.

I would really appreciate some help.

If something needs replacing (even though its just a year old, fine but what needs replacing), I have an older PC however, the graphics card is AGP, the ram is older as well and doesn't fit in the slot.

Really need some insight if possible.

Thanks in advance.

More about : computer start problem

February 22, 2012 6:17:48 PM

peetal said:
Bought in January 2011 (just over the warranty for some of the above)

For the last few weeks, I have had some problems starting up my PC, when i turn it on it comes on for a few seconds (no Beeps) and didn't turn on. Not much difference in usage except I got Need for Speed the Run and have been playing a lot and also a Dell 27" monitor, graphics intensive?

I needed to take out the plug and wait a few minutes and turn it on again. (sometimes even taking things off the power extension, too much load?)
I went for a holiday for a few days and now it it doesn't turn on at all. after trying the method i used before.

I am assuming this is a graphics card problem..
however, i realise that everytime i try a to start the PC to check the POST, i need to wait a few minutes between starts for any beep or it powers on for a few seconds and off again, and if i try again too quickly it doesn't even go on at all.

Hey peetal when was the last time you added thermal paste on your processor? Most ASrock mobos will automatically shut off because the cpu is too hot to save your mobo and cpu from frying. Im guessing your core temps while play Need for Speed the Run was overheating which made your comp turn off. Also try using a different graphics card to see if your pc boots up with a different card or plug in your graphics card into a different computer to see if it works. The last possible cause of the problem could be the psu and the connection from the psu to the mobo check to make sure your 24pin and 8pin power plugs are connected into the mobo. Your Antec 650w is a good product and should definitely power your rig. Also make sure you connected the pci-e 2.1 x16 psu power cable to your GIGABYTE HD 6850 graphics card (should be a 6 pin cable).
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:38:15 PM

Hi Ryanthebuilder, thanks for the reply.

I thought of the CPU first so when I took it off the heatsink the cpu was stuck to the heatsink all the thermal compound was a bit dry, I cleaned it off and went and bought new thermal paste and applied it but still same problem.
(quick question which may sound dumb, but can a cpu get hot from immediate starting of the PC as in a few seconds and it overheats?)

I have a problem of not having a spare graphics card or not knowing a person who has a homebuilt PC, I will try and find someone for that (social media should be handy).

I have two connectors from the PSU to the mobo since they are the only that do in fact fit I think they should be ok, I have taken them off and on many times since the problem. (that was only my second PC build but I would say I am above average in that department)

There are two PCIE connectors from the PSU, one is a 6+2 pin (which I used from the start) and a 6 pin , I have tried both but to no avail.

m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 12:28:44 AM

peetal said:
Hi Ryanthebuilder, thanks for the reply.

I thought of the CPU first so when I took it off the heatsink the cpu was stuck to the heatsink all the thermal compound was a bit dry, I cleaned it off and went and bought new thermal paste and applied it but still same problem.
(quick question which may sound dumb, but can a cpu get hot from immediate starting of the PC as in a few seconds and it overheats?)

Yes your system can automatically shutdown if there is overheating present. In most cases it the core that is the problem and gets to a too high temperature and your mobo senses it and shuts down the system to save hardware from frying. However, if there is a sufficent amount of thermal paste and your heatsink is working properly then your cpu shouldnt be the cause of the problem. Few questions though, what kind of heatsink do you have on your cpu for cooling? What kind of RAM do you have (your mobo might not be recognizing your ram or is incompatible which will not power up your system). If it isnt your cpu or your ram thats causing the problem then it is defiantly a power issue. Your psu maybe faulty and may not be powering up your system. If your able to test your hardware on another system that would be great id check your psu, ram, and graphics card to see if they are all functional. Also if your able to get your system running for enough time to get to your mobos bios setup and check your core temps (i know asrock 770s have a core temp tab where you can see the temps of your cores) also check if your mobo is recognizing your ram which can be also seen in your bios setup.

m
l
February 23, 2012 3:01:23 AM

For the thermal issue, I just put some thermal paste last night. The day time I was mainly breadboarding and checking all the parts. The same issues came up after adding thermal paste so I did not keep trying as I taught to post on the forums.

My experiments with my current system have been like this:

Start of yesterday morning: Connect PSU,mobo,cpu,ram,graphics card. without any drives.

Conclusion: start up no sound and fans are off after 3-5 seconds no beeps. If i tried again immediately after then fans don't even start. I needed to wait for a few minutes to get the fans even running.

(This is the same problem I had the last few weeks with everything connected but after a few tries putting off the power supply for a few minutes and on again then it worked except from yesterday when it never started again)

Tried breadboarding after some searches later on in the day (a few hours later):

Got my first set of beeps with just the MOBO+CPU+PSU, it was the beep for the memory (long Beeps)

If i tried it again same setup immediately after then fans went on and off again no beeps.

Then waited a few minutes and tried MOBO+CPU+PSU+RAM.
Conculsion: got to the video card beeps.

Again if i tried immediately after then the fans turn on and off with no beeps.

Then I moved to the MOBO+CPU+PSU+RAM+graphics card, it never beeps. At first I did this without connecting the monitor but later on I even tried with the monitor connected and same issue and no beeps at all.

Later on in the day I got thermal paste and did the same cycle and same conclusion.

That was my frustrating day yesterday.

Regarding your questions, my heatsink is the stock heatsink I received with my CPU. It has been working for a year even during playing games so I am not sure if it is a cause for problems for even starting up?

My RAM as well has been working for a year and I have not changed any setup/BIOS timings etc. Could an issue have arisen?

As the corsair method for checking the CPU only tests with a load for the fan then maybe the power supply is an issue, I will double check with my old power supply with breadboarding today. but, I tried once yesterday and the fan went on and off, I am not sure which stage of breadboarding I checked with but I will do more experiments later on today and will post results.

i will also try my power supply on my old PC but I tried my old PC without any changes and it didn't work (it did keep running by no display on my monitor, its been in my storeroom for a year without being switched on and fixing that may be a whole other issue which I really can't be hassled to fix, I will probably chuck the whole thing or sell the parts.

I haven't been able to get to the BIOS since before my four day trip, once I do, I think the problem would have been fixed as the issue now is not even getting my pc to start.

I am from Hong Kong and people who make their own PCs normally go to a few different computer malls where they can by parts or choose parts and the guy in the shop will make the pc for you, they also should have people to check each part one by one so you know what is wrong, but I will only be able to go there during the weekend or next week and I don't like paying to fix my computer when I can or hope to be able to do it myself. (just extra information)

Thanks again for your input to my problem.

Update:

I have tried my other PSU on just the breadboard or CPU +mobo and same issue (not even RAM post beeps)

Later on in the day I took the mobo out of the case (i was breadboarding it in the case), and put it on a wooden table, connected two plugs from the PSU to the mobo, connected the speaker and wires to the case for power switch and now it just goes on for a split second and off again... everytime...

am i killing it by trying this so many times?
m
l
!