Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS 6850 requires two 6 pin connectors?

Last response: in Components
Share
June 9, 2012 6:05:41 PM

Okay, so I bought the ASUS 6850 and it seems that it requires two 6 pin connectors.
My Seasonic M12II 620 Watt only has one 6 pin connector?
Now what? :??: 
June 9, 2012 6:07:28 PM

According to newegg, specs are
PCI-Express Connector
1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

You should be fine (?)
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2012 6:11:13 PM

^ +1 You're good. The 6+2 is basically just another 6 pin with an extra 2 pin connector that you don't have to use.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 6:12:36 PM

pdxalex is correct, you should have one 6-pin and one 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors. Mfrs page for the M12II-620: http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12II-Bronze.htm
Do you remember where you stored the spare cables?

Most 6850s only require one 6-pin; is yours factory OCd?
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:15:58 PM

Rugger said:
pdxalex is correct, you should have one 6-pin and one 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors. Mfrs page for the M12II-620: http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12II-Bronze.htm
Do you remember where you stored the spare cables?

Most 6850s only require one 6-pin; is yours factory OCd?


Yes I remember but where can I see that the card is asking for one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin?

Also, it is a "little bit" overclocked from ASUS.
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2012 6:21:57 PM

It looks like it will only require 2 6 pin connectors, like you said in you first post. I can't find any pics of the top of the board to see, but there are solder pads for 2 6 pin connectors that I can see in the pics I found.
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 6:23:17 PM

The 6+2 pin can either be configured as a 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector or as a 150W 8-pin PCIe power connector. One end of the connector will have a detachable 2-pin section. You simply disconnect the 2-pin section from the other pins and only use the 6-pins; don't cut the cable, the 2-pin section just dangles there.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:25:19 PM

Do you think it would be a good idea to just cancel the order and go with a different brand such as Gigabyte or any other that you recommend?
I'd prefer using 1 6 pin instead of 2.
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2012 6:27:29 PM

MyLastWish said:
Do you think it would be a good idea to just cancel the order and go with a different brand such as Gigabyte or any other that you recommend?
I'd prefer using 1 6 pin instead of 2.


Why? You have plenty of power with that PSU. MORE than enough for a factory OC 6850 (or most any single card config, for that matter). Stay with the 6850.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:29:56 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Why? You have plenty of power with that PSU. MORE than enough for a factory OC 6850 (or most any single card config, for that matter). Stay with the 6850.


I was going to stay with the 6850, it's just that I don't understand what this ASUS card is asking for.
Is it a 6+2 and a 6 or is it two 6's or what? :??: 
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2012 6:31:43 PM

MyLastWish said:
I was going to stay with the 6850, it's just that I don't understand what this ASUS card is asking for.
Is it a 6+2 and a 6 or is it two 6's or what? :??: 


Two 6 pin connectors (which you have). :) 
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:33:53 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Two 6 pin connectors (which you have). :) 


Okay so I have one 6 pin connector that I know.
Now for the second one, it says " 6P/8P" which means it can be considered either right? If so, I also have one of those.
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2012 6:39:50 PM

MyLastWish said:
Now for the second one, it says " 6P/8P" which means it can be considered either right? If so, I also have one of those.


That's right. :) 
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:40:49 PM

well then you are fine you just ignore the extra 2 pins on the 6p/8p. its the same with my Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II and my ocz modxstream pro 600w psu.
m
0
l
!