Sign in with
Your question

Second card for lucid HYDRA set up.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 10:08:32 PM

first I would like to start by saying hello toms hardware! long time reader first time actually signing up and using the site.

secondly here are my current system specs.

msi 870a with lucid logix chip.
sapphire 5770.
evga gts 450.
phenom 960t
16gb of Gskill rippjaws.
only running a cheap 620 watt psu that will need to be upgraded also(suggestions welcome)

res- running at either 1920x1080 or 5760x1080(for racing games only)

set up is used mostly for gaming.

now here my problem im looking to get a new nvidia card to pair with my
sapphire HD6870 I just just received as an early Christmas gift.

I was thinking a gtx550Ti or gtx460... both being identical in price
only slight differences between them as far as I can see..
one better at processing AA the other better at producing more FPS.

so I am more than open to suggestions. I have a budget of $160 if anyone can think of another card in that price bracket that is better dont hesitate to post.

thanks guys... google is little to no help when it comes to lucid logix card set ups.

More about : card lucid hydra set

a c 179 U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 12:08:45 AM

First off I never knew that you could put ATI card with a Nvidia card. Unless are you doing two different things on two different monitors. You can't crossfire or SLI the two cards together they are totaly different like night and day.

Don't get the GTX 550 ti the GTX 460 is the better card and I will link you to the hierarchy chart. I have two of the 550's and you pay more bucks and little bang.

Why don't you get another HD6870 That way you have two of the same cards and then you can crossfire them. Also look for PSU's like Antec, Seasonic, XFX, corsair, and coolmaster and make sure they are 80cert.

Look on newegg.com, amazon.com or tigerdirect.com for the PSU's. Here is the link and I wish you good luck

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...

Edit: you might need more Vram for your higher res. In other words on your card instead of 1 gb you get 2gb but since your budget won't allow that and you got a new card with only 1 gb. Both cards have to be 2 gb inorder to bennafit from it.
December 25, 2011 6:20:00 AM

Quote:
First off I never knew that you could put ATI card with a Nvidia card. Unless are you doing two different things on two different monitors. You can't crossfire or SLI the two cards together they are totaly different like night and day.

well this is the point of the hydra chip.
it works separate to both crossfire and sli.
the chip allows you to use both sets of graphics drivers and run the two cards together
operating roughly at around the same percentage of gain as you get from sli.
allowing you to use the best of both worlds...
though some games are not supported(more are actually supported than is listed on the internet) i have had no issues in the past,
thankyou for your post.
December 25, 2011 1:27:16 PM

just ordered the gtx 460 :) 
thanks again man.
!