I have a custom built machine that is currently running
Windows XP Pro w/SP2. I just purchased a new motherboard
and graphics card and a second hard drive which I intend
to install shortly as an upgrade. Recently I read an
article regarding the XP activation process which I
understand takes a profile of the machine it's being
installed on. My question is this: If I swap out the
motherboard, video card, and add a second hard drive, is
XP going to continue to work or will I need to re-install
the OS?

If you change the motherboard, you will need to do a repair install.

Activation is based on a profile of the hardware on your system. You can
usually change about 5 pieces of internal hardware before triggering the
necessity to activate and note, the activation database is purged every 120
days so if it's been more than that, you likely wouldn't have to activate.
However, if you do change enough hardware within the 120 day period, you
may receive message that you need to call Microsoft and you will be
presented with a phone number to call. When you do, just tell the operator
what you have done and the operator will give you a new activation code.

Also note, formatting a hard drive will also trigger the need to activate.
However, if you image your setup, you can format, restore the image and
activation won't be triggered as long as it is the same system. In other
words, you can't image your system, restore it to another hard drive and
install that drive on another computer.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"egor" <egorforsure@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I have a custom built machine that is currently running
> Windows XP Pro w/SP2. I just purchased a new motherboard
> and graphics card and a second hard drive which I intend
> to install shortly as an upgrade. Recently I read an
> article regarding the XP activation process which I
> understand takes a profile of the machine it's being
> installed on. My question is this: If I swap out the
> motherboard, video card, and add a second hard drive, is
> XP going to continue to work or will I need to re-install
> the OS?

You will have to do a Repair Install after changing the MB.

OEM version software is tied to the original MB.

--
Good Day
River_Rat