Windows 7 says I need to format my hard drive

pinkfrills

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hello,
I have a LaCie 150 GB hard drive that I backed up all the files onto from my previous computer, a Mac. I now have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7, and want to transfer some files to it. The hard drive can be seen in Devices, but not in "My Computer." I played around, not really knowing what I was doing, but I added a volume to the device in Computer Management. Now Windows says I need to format this volume before using it, which, obviously, I'm unwilling to do. What should I do to get Windows to recognize the HD?
Thanks.

drakar2007

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
It looks as if it shows up to your computer as an unformatted drive, my best guess would be that the drive is formatted into a filesystem that can be seen by a Mac but not by windows. I would do nothing further with it in windows until you can get the files from it. My best guess (hopefully supplemented by further replies here from people who know more about Macs) would be that you should try to boot from a Linux Live CD, as linux can see more filesystem types, and hopefully this would allow you to copy files from the old drive onto your new computer or a different drive of your choice.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i use a dvd version of knoppix, its what i used when windows xp wouldn't boot and i needed to move filed off the c drive so i could format it and reuse the hdd.

find a flash/dvd bootable version of linux that can see the file system.

alliteratively, you can get a 32gb flash drive, it will cost 30-40$ and format it in windows 7 to fat 32, and move the files 32gb at a time.

now, just to ask, are these files windows compatible? like are they programs, or just general files?

o that reminds me, you could also use one of those file shareing sites, either a torrent, or upload them 500mb-1gb at a time and move from one to the other, this would take some serious time, but doable, and alturnatively, you can set up a network where you can grab files from the mac to the pc, this will most likley be at about 5-10mbps, so it will take time, but will get the job done.

egutierrez91

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I would use a liveCD and transfer the files that way, as stated previously.

If you could get a hold of a Mac, move the files off of the hard drive, format the hard drive to NTFS (just in case there are any files larger than 4GB) and then you can use the hard drive on both Mac and PC.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

Windows 7 does not innately recognize HFS+ partitions. From the sound of how your external hard drive was formatted previously on a different operating system platform, this is likely the case. In situations like this one, where you as the user wish to use the drive in a cross-platform (more than one operating system) manner, it is best to create two separate partitions with two separate partition maps / file systems. Windows 7 utilizes the NTFS partition scheme where as other operating systems do not.

Typically speaking the MS-DOS, also known as FAT, format option can allow Windows 7 as well as additional operating systems the read and write privileges necessary to complete the transfer of files you are attempting if you do not wish to create multiple partitions. However there are size limitations that come into play within the MS-DOS or FAT format.

To better understand file systems with in Windows 7, Comparing NTFS and FAT file systems is a recommended resource.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

pinkfrills

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks, all, for your responses. I didn't understand what was going on, to be honest, so I finally just threw up my hands and brought it to a computer repair person. They will get back with me soon, hopefully with the answer. Thank you all for your advice!