Angel Of Elementos New Build Advice

Okies... Hi guys,

This post is more for the benefit of a friend than asking for advice (but please feel free to give it, it would be appreciated).

He has a graphics card and a motherboard but the rest of his pc needs upgrading.

He wants to use it for gaming mostly.

Budget for upgrades is $550.

Basically what I am suggesting he buys is this:

> Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500-Socket-LGA1155-Processor/dp/B004EBUXI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329929475&sr=8-2

$209.99

This can be overclocked to 4.5GHZ.

> 2 OCZ Technology 60 GB Agility 3 SATA III Solid State Drives
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Agility-Solid-AGT3-25SAT3-60G/dp/B004Z0S6RU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329930387&sr=1-2

$89.99 * 2

These combined in a RAID 0 will perform with ~1GBPS read and write times which will mean the PC boots blazingly fast and loads games in a fraction of the time.

> Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329930585&sr=1-1

Yes this is 1600 MHz and the Processor doesn't use it all. This would be bottlenecked to 1333 MHz but for the price It would look like a nice option to carry onto the next upgrade.

He can then add another kit once he has a bit more cash.

I am not a guru but I belive this would work nicely given the budget.

Thanks,

Charlie
7 answers Last reply
More about angel elementos build advice
  1. The i5-2500k will make your overclocking life significantly easier than the i5-2500.

Are these compatable with the motherboard he has? You didn't list it.
  2. Quote:
    He has a graphics card and a motherboard but the rest of his pc needs upgrading.

What is he using currently? An i3 does quite well for gaming - my 2120 handles Skyrim very well with my 560Ti.

Quote:
    > Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500-Socket-LGA1155-Processor/dp/B004EBUXI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329929475&sr=8-2

$209.99

This can be overclocked to 4.5GHZ.

Even though you can OC the BCLK, it's still pretty touchy and he'll have to do some serious tweaking on his own. If he really want to OC, get the 2500K. However, games don't benefit all that much from overclocks, so it's really not useful for his planned use.

Quote:
    > 2 OCZ Technology 60 GB Agility 3 SATA III Solid State Drives
    http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Agility-Solid-AGT3-25SAT3-60G/dp/B004Z0S6RU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329930387&sr=1-2

$89.99 * 2

These combined in a RAID 0 will perform with ~1GBPS read and write times which will mean the PC boots blazingly fast and loads games in a fraction of the time.

Last time I checked, OCZ is still having issues with SSD reliability. It's great that their cheap, but you'll be spending a lot of time waiting for your RMAs.

I'd recommend Intel's 320 or Crucial's M4/C300 drives. They're amazingly reliable in comparison to OCZ, and you won't see much difference between 2 of these and 2 of the OCZs. At 1 GBps transfer rates, there are so many other bottlenecks in the system that will limit this transfer rate.

Quote:
    > Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329930585&sr=1-1

Yes this is 1600 MHz and the Processor doesn't use it all. This would be bottlenecked to 1333 MHz but for the price It would look like a nice option to carry onto the next upgrade.

1) What does he have now? 4GB is plenty for gaming, and he can just add another 4GB kit if he really needs 8GB.
    2) Technically 1600MHz is an "overclock" but it'll still be recognized and used. No worries there. Not much difference in performance between 1066 - 1866MHz, and it's really not noticeable because there are some many other system bottlenecks.
  3. I think it's interesting that you said your friend wants to upgrade his computer for gaming, yet none of the upgrades will have a benefit in gaming, except maybe the processor (I don't know what he's upgrading from). You wanna spend all that money on RAM and SSDs? I know you stated that your friend already has the Mobo and GPU, so if he has a mobo that runs a i5-2500, what's the upgrade? You're already in a class of CPUs that game well. If you are bottlenecked by some old graphics card, overclocking a CPU to 10Ghz won't help. As far as the RAM goes, it's so cheap right now, why not buy 8Gb?...unless you're running 32-bit OS.
  4. Thanks for the input guys, all is appreciated.

From what I understand, he is using an wretched 10 year old PC at the moment and has baught the parts mentioned (mobo and graphics) he just needs to complete the rest of the build.

Small correction on that processor mentioned; I coppied and pasted and added the wrong link (honest I swear :() I told him to get the 2500K under the advice from an article on this forum and a bit of a look into the architecture myself.

Unlocked multiplyer is definately something worth having.

The RAM is ~$40 and I can't find a decent 8 GB kit that will double the slot use and effectively double access speed (?). I think its a nice cheap option and as you said "4GB is plenty"; the upgrade is a future option.

Where would the SSD's be bottlenecked? CPU? Either way the SSD's will make a significant difference to games. Load times, application start up... Perhaps not whilst actually playing but who likes entering a map late only to find all the good stuff is gone or your team is dead (and who likes waiting for him? :na:) ?

Having had a better look at those OCZ's, the reviews look nasty. I will look at the suggestions here and find something better.

Dropping the price on the SSD's and getting a second 550 ti card in an SLI config looks nicer but my matey seems reluctant to do that, for whatever reason (he said he doesn't want to toast himself in his small room :??:).

I think that perhaps dropping the SSD's down to 1 and spending the spare on a cooler and some more ram is a good idea.

What would you do? Seriously guys: the mobo is SATA3, LGA 1155; the graphics is an OC 550 ti; the budget is $550 (don't have to blow it all away, if you can make something cheap that will run Guild Wars 2 with ease than that would be awesome)

Again, thanks for your input.

~ Charlie ~
  5. Quote:
    "I think it's interesting that you said your friend wants to upgrade his computer for gaming, yet none of the upgrades will have a benefit in gaming, except maybe the processor (I don't know what he's upgrading from)."

Quite. I wrongly said "Upgrade"; This is basically a new build using some parts already purchased. It is an upgrade from a 2001 PC.

Remember there is more to a game than just the graphics. The cpu helps on everything else and its Tom's best buy on the best processor that falls within the budget. Perhaps there is a better CPU to get and the money can be spent else where?

The SSD's and RAM thing is definately worth taking note of. £120 on SSD's is allot, perhaps we could cut it down to one and add in a cooler and some more RAM? Then he can actually OC that CPU.

Thanks for watching out and thanks for any more suggestions as to how to spend the cash more wisely.
  6. Quote:
    From what I understand, he is using an wretched 10 year old PC at the moment and has baught the parts mentioned (mobo and graphics) he just needs to complete the rest of the build.

That helps us understand where he is now.

Quote:
    The RAM is ~$40 and I can't find a decent 8 GB kit that will double the slot use and effectively double access speed (?). I think its a nice cheap option and as you said "4GB is plenty"; the upgrade is a future option.

Didn't know what he was running currently. For a new system, 8GB is the most cost effective purchase.

Quote:
    Where would the SSD's be bottlenecked? CPU? Either way the SSD's will make a significant difference to games. Load times, application start up... Perhaps not whilst actually playing but who likes entering a map late only to find all the good stuff is gone or your team is dead (and who likes waiting for him? :na:) ?

If you're transferring files from the SSDs to regular HDDs, you'll be limited by those speeds. You'll also be limited by optical drive speeds as well.

TBH a lot of problems with online gaming are the network connection and host servers, not the individual PCs.

Quote:
    Dropping the price on the SSD's and getting a second 550 ti card in an SLI config looks nicer but my matey seems reluctant to do that, for whatever reason (he said he doesn't want to toast himself in his small room :??:).

The 550Ti isn't a truly power-hungry card. He should be fine with 2 in SLI.

A 560Ti is enough to handle most games capably, so 2x550Ti should handle everything a bit better than a single 560Ti.

Quote:
    I think that perhaps dropping the SSD's down to 1 and spending the spare on a cooler and some more ram is a good idea.

For a 64bit Windows installation, 64GB is plenty. The raw install + updates takes up about ~30GB, leaving some room for other programs.

With 8GB RAM, you could turn off the pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys files and regain a lot of space on the OS drive.

Quote:
    Remember there is more to a game than just the graphics. The cpu helps on everything else and its Tom's best buy on the best processor that falls within the budget. Perhaps there is a better CPU to get and the money can be spent else where?

Today's games are more bottlenecked by the GPU than the CPU. A lot of gamers are still running Core 2 Quads but with more recent (560Ti + ) GPUs. Of course, this isn't the case with a 2001 PC, but in general purchasing a great CPU and moderate GPU won't perform as well as a moderate CPU and great GPU.

7. Today's games are more bottlenecked by the GPU than the CPU. A lot of gamers are still running Core 2 Quads but with more recent (560Ti + ) GPUs. Of course, this isn't the case with a 2001 PC, but in general purchasing a great CPU and moderate GPU won't perform as well as a moderate CPU and great GPU.

I'm still using my 2011 i7-950 OC. Firstly, I still play games on their highest settings with my MSI 970. Secondly, I've been running an overclock for 4 years just fine, hell ya. Thirdly, with Win10, it's supposed to take even more pressure off CPUs and use GPU overhead. I may need a new GPU next year, but I still don't see a reason to upgrade my CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems