Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fan not spinning

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 4:24:00 PM

Hi, when i run a practice test on my motherboard outside of my case to see if everything is working, my CPU fan doesn't sin, and on screen it says "CPU fan error".
When i turned it off i can already feel the heat from the cpu. my specs for this test are...
p8z68-vpro/gen3
16gb gskill ripjawsz(4x4) 1600mhz
intel core i7 2600k
xfx pro 850w
and the cpu cooler is the stock cpu cooler.
please help, as this is my first build and i want to put it in the case

More about : cpu fan spinning

February 22, 2012 4:46:54 PM

yes, i read the motherboard booklet, and near the socket it says CPU Cooler, and the little piece of plastic that comes over the top of the 4 pins, goes in exactly in between the two plastic lines on the cpu's connector.

btw i already tried to turn the mobo on to reasure i plugged it correctly, and a second time i unplugged the cpu fan/heatsink and unatached the heatsink, (because when i tried to spin the fan myself it seemed stuck) and it still feels rough, and when i plug just the fan to the motherboard it still doesnt spin, and on the TV it still says theres a fail.

EDIT: and i think im goinna have to buy another thermal paste, since if i just apply the heatsink just to the old thermal paste, theres going to be air. so im guessing im going to have to wait... great i was so excited...
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 4:54:48 PM

If you haven't used the computer much, the paste may not have baked on yet. Probably safe to use in a limited capacity for now, just don't overdo it and keep an eye on your temps. I would definitely recommend putting new paste on as soon as you can.

As far as your original question, it sounds like the fan may be dead. If you bought the processor at a local shop, it might be quick and painless to have them replace it. Otherwise, now might be a good time to look into getting a fan that's a bit nicer.

If you do want to go with a new fan, I'd recommend the Hyper 212. It's cheaper than most fans, performs very well and will let you really crank up the speed on that 2600k.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 103 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 4:57:24 PM

Hmm, try plugging the fan into another socket, cha_fan or sys fan maybe if it can reach,
the paste should be fine if you haven't had it off long, just wiggle the hs slightly once you put it on before locking it in,
if it still doesn't work on another socket, I reckon its a mobo issue, that will mean returning the Mobo
Moto
February 22, 2012 5:00:09 PM

Make sure you have the correct fan header. There are several on the board. Some boards won't boot without the cpu fan header populated for safety reasons. Most boards headers are marked with numbers and the one for the cpu fan will be marked CPU. Refer to your mobo manual.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 103 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 5:18:49 PM

Op has already identified the correct socket using the manual, I'm now checking that the fan works
Moto
February 22, 2012 5:30:30 PM

Thank gosh maplins closes at 8 :D , i just ran there and got myself therml paste, but now i can see i could have used what was still there... still this way is safer... and btw i have identified the problem... I am an absolute airhead :S, i didn't unravel the wires around the fan, and now that i did its rolling soothly. The problem was that the wires looked fine since i unpackaged it, so i thought i just had to plug and thats it. ok now for the fun part xD
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 103 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 6:19:07 PM

So the wires were stopping it from rotating?
glad its nothing more serious man :) 
Moto
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 6:26:56 PM

And the stock fan came with the wires wrapped around the clips on the fan braces or whatever you call what holds the motor to the shroud. First thing I saw when I looked at the stock fan.
February 22, 2012 7:25:09 PM

Yep its all working now thanks for all your help guys... right now im installing everything to the case :) 
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 7:25:53 PM

goga44 said:
Hi, when i run a practice test on my motherboard outside of my case to see if everything is working, my CPU fan doesn't sin, and on screen it says "CPU fan error".
When i turned it off i can already feel the heat from the cpu. my specs for this test are...
p8z68-vpro/gen3
16gb gskill ripjawsz(4x4) 1600mhz
intel core i7 2600k
xfx pro 850w
and the cpu cooler is the stock cpu cooler.
please help, as this is my first build and i want to put it in the case

Make an RMA on the whole CPU. ASAP

February 22, 2012 8:23:00 PM

Quote:

No i dont need to, everything is working fine, the wire was holding the fan back, but now its all good
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:36:10 AM

goga44 said:
Quote:

No i dont need to, everything is working fine, the wire was holding the fan back, but now its all good

OK you're good
!