Sign in with
Your question

Whats GPU BURN-IN?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2011 12:52:13 AM

Hi,

Sorry, bit of a noob here.
Got my first nvidia card yesterday (ASUS Direct CU II GTX 570)
Use to use CCC Panel for my ATI i had before so did none of this stuff...

In msi kombuster theres an option for gpu-burn in.. may i ask what does it do?

Many thanks.

More about : whats gpu burn

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 1:11:26 AM

GPU burn in is a method of testing how long a GPU(or a CPU) can handle maximum stress.

It's usually used to find out if your overclocking parameters are stable under maximum conditions for a long time.

If you don't overclock, don't worry about it.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 1:53:38 AM

Yep. It's not like you're wearing it in; it's not something that you have to do. It's just a test.
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 3:12:17 AM

It's to test whether your card can 'survive' from worst case or maximum stress. It's usually used when overclocking and you don't need to do it if you don't want
December 24, 2011 3:28:32 AM

Eh, excuse me someone? :)  Basically i overclocked a bit...
Stock=

----Overclock To------

Did the gpu burn.. normal is fine, but then i put it to the xtreme gpu burn in and my screen goes black? -_- Monitor says going to sleep and nothing i do brings it back alive even though everything seems to be working fine pc wise.(Have to end up turning PC on then off)

The fan is on Auto.
Should i maybe set it to like 65% or something then do the test again?

Cuz the fan doesnt even pass 25% when on Crysis2:

1600x900
DX 11
High Res Texture
Ultra
averaging 75fps + (Max 135fps)
December 24, 2011 3:33:08 AM

Edit:/

The numbers go: Core
Shader
Memory

The normal gpu burn i ran for 30mins with no problems what so ever...
The xtreme screen goes black after about couple mins or less.
a c 225 U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 3:41:06 AM

Two reasons to do a "burn in"

1. Stability testing ----- better to test it now rather than find out there's a problem a day after your 30 day return option expires.

2. Thermal cycling "sets" the TIM ..... check out the AS5 web site for example, at the bottom of the home page you will read about AS5 requiring 200 hours of thermal cycling (that means just the first and last 5 minutes of each use cycle). The cycling from cool to hot ..... cool to hot etc ....."sets" the TIM, aligns and smooths out the particles.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Quote:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

AS5 is rather unique in the time it takes to accomplish this burn in as well as the magnitude of the change. Before dialing in my final GPU / CPU OC's, I'll crank the voltage up a small step beyond where I intend to leave it.....and get the temps up 3-4C above where my operating targets are. I'll cycle this a few times (using 10 minute stress test just enough to reach peak temps, then 30 minute cool down) and later drop it down to my target voltages / OC ..... I find that CPU / GPU temps are now a degree, sometimes 2 cooler at the same OC as the TIM is "cured" and working better.

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 11:45:30 AM

If you are losing video during the burn in, then it means your settings are too agressive and you need to start dialing back your clocks. It sounds like the GPU core clock is too high, dial it down a bit until your problems go away during the burn.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 11:47:04 AM

Also, when doing a burn-in, I usually set my fan at manual 100% to prevent things from going haywire...
December 24, 2011 3:20:32 PM

memadmax said:
If you are losing video during the burn in, then it means your settings are too agressive and you need to start dialing back your clocks. It sounds like the GPU core clock is too high, dial it down a bit until your problems go away during the burn.

I really dont get this tho?

Is the core maybe too high for the memory or something? because on the link above when the article was talking about overclocking it said with normal voltage it got up to 860... and i cant pass 755? :/ 
December 24, 2011 3:30:12 PM

The normal burn in test i ran for 30mins and no problems or anything.
The xtreme i guess was too much.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 5:43:36 PM

GPUs are not guaranteed to overclock. Some just won't do it. What's your GPU voltage?
December 24, 2011 5:47:46 PM

It says VDDC: 1.013V so im guessing thats the voltage.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 8:13:33 PM

That's reasonable and shouldn't be a problem. You may just have an unlucky card.
December 24, 2011 9:31:38 PM

well, the xtreme test was saying *At your own risk an stuff* cuz im guessing it was pushing the card, but then again its best to do it if you want to gurantee your clock speeds work. :/ 

The fan was on auto, but ill try setting it to nearly 100% and run the test again.
December 24, 2011 10:12:38 PM

Edit:///

Fan set 100%
Xtreme Burn in: On.

Core: 755
Shader: 1510
Memory: 1915

Put it on for 30mins and it seemed to work fine now :) 
Temperature didnt go above 80c.

Is this good?
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 2:46:16 AM

Good. :) 
December 25, 2011 12:17:06 PM

My friend keeps on telling me that you should NEVER change the memory speeds of a gpu, is this true?
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 2:52:43 PM

You mean memory clock? Tell him where he get the information, As far as I know It's OK and It will not affect FPS much. The one you look at when you want to increase the frame per second rate is the GPU clock speed.
December 25, 2011 3:11:46 PM

Ok, thanks :)  !!!!

Increased core clock to 790 now (and shader at 1580) :)  same voltage... seems to be fine :)  i will leave it at that.

Can i ask is there such thing as bottlenecks with gpus?

like say, your cpu cud be an i7-990x then ur gpu is amd 3850 256mb... big bottleneck.

with gpus can it be like your shader and core is too high for ur memory or something?

a c 175 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 3:32:30 PM

If you are overclocking the cores and the shader it is better/recommended to also overclock the memory.

And if you are asking if there is a GPU bottleneck, no they are not. Only you'll have low fps on games.
December 25, 2011 3:41:58 PM

Ok, thanks for that :)  i will oc the memory as well.
although.

in the SOC edition of this card the memory is still at stock where as you get the core at like 850+
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 2:33:33 PM

There is always a bottleneck. There's one in every computer, in every situation, at all times when there is enough load to max out some part of the hardware. The bottleneck can be the GPU just as easily as it can be the RAM, the CPU or anything else.
If I'm not mistaken, though, you haven't mentioned what your CPU and other specs are, so we can't guess at your bottleneck.
December 26, 2011 3:44:39 PM

Oh, sorry. Here you go:

i5-2500 @ 3.7GHz
12GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
Water Cooled
XFX 850W Pro Series, XXX Edition, Silver certified
ASUS Direct CU II GTX 570 1280MB
2TB SATA II 7200rpm
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 5:48:21 PM

Non-K 2500? Who gave you that idea?
You're pretty good. In more CPU-limited games like Skyrim, the 570'll be plenty to shift the load to the 2500, and that'll be the bottleneck. In most new mainstream games, it'll be the 570. You won't max out that RAM except in intense video editing.
Nice build, excepting that 2500.
December 26, 2011 5:53:56 PM

yea :)  although im not to comfortable on the kversions, im not the person to overclock cpu cuz ive heard of all these settings and stuff you gotta change before changing the multiplier so i didnt wanna screw myself over :p  so i stuck with the safe one. xD
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 5:58:41 PM

It's really incredibly easy. For something like the 2500K, you only have to change one setting. It's got so much overclocking headroom that going up 500 mhz (to 3.8 ghz) would only require changing the multiplier to 38.
Anyway, couldawouldashoulda.
December 26, 2011 6:03:32 PM

Yes.. if it was really that easy, then sigh... i screwed myself over by not getting the k version -_-

but i geuss 3.7 is ok for now :)  hopefully next year i will upgrade to something like the 2700k ( will my build still be good or the cpu is kinda high? )
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 6:22:06 PM

3.3 is stock. 3.7 would be plenty.
The OCed 2500K is essentially the best processor currently available. The 2700K will usually be able to OC a little more, but on a single graphics card you don't need to push OCing to the limit.
December 26, 2011 6:24:40 PM

yea :)  the 2500 was at 3.3 stock, but the turbo tech allowed me to go 3.7 max, so that is what i did.

so, are you trying to say that for now my processor is ok?
or i should maybe upgrade to a k version sometime soon?
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 6:26:28 PM

Oh, 3.7's fine for a 570. I forgot that you can lock Turbo Boost on. You're fine until you upgrade your graphics hardware, and it'll have a be a pretty significant upgrade.
December 26, 2011 6:27:21 PM

ohh, okay : ) thats great to hear. thanks! :D 
!