Sign in with
Your question

Newly Built computer running slow

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 5:18:42 PM

I just completed my first pc build, and the computer powered right up. All the components seemed to be working correctly. So i installed a (non-retail) copy of windows 7. The install took a long time and when it booted for the first time it was really slow. Applications that i opened constantly lagged and sometimes became non responsive. Thinking it was a driver issue, I installed the driver cd's that came with the motherboard and graphics card. The computer is still slow.

Is the slowness caused by the non-retail windows 7 or by outdated drivers? Im still fairly new to computers, so all the help i can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PC SPECS
BIOSTAR A880G+
ATHLON X4 BLACK EDITION
SAPPHIRE RADEON 6570
500W POWERSUPPLY
G-SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM
WD BLACK CAVIAR 250G 3.0GB/S SATA HARD DRIVE
February 22, 2012 6:29:38 PM

- The slowness is most likely to be outdated drivers, (always get from company's website not on the CD)
- You could be not getting enough voltage into each hardware? your PSU looks to be a lower quality. 500w isn't good enough now a day's (my opinion)
- Do a virus scan? Maybe the "non-retail" copy came with one! :]
(http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/)
m
l
February 22, 2012 6:44:51 PM

saxal said:
I just completed my first pc build, and the computer powered right up. All the components seemed to be working correctly. So i installed a (non-retail) copy of windows 7. The install took a long time and when it booted for the first time it was really slow. Applications that i opened constantly lagged and sometimes became non responsive. Thinking it was a driver issue, I installed the driver cd's that came with the motherboard and graphics card. The computer is still slow.

Is the slowness caused by the non-retail windows 7 or by outdated drivers? Im still fairly new to computers, so all the help i can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First make sure you have direct x 11 installed then run dxdiag and post the results (go to start- run-run "dxdiag" -save all information to desktop and post results here) From that we can see if your missing any crucial driver updates. Next your gpu shouldnt be causing frame spikes on idle unless the drivers for the card were not installed correctly. The lag spikes while idling is mostly likely because your cpu or hdd. When you dled win7 did you pick your Caviar HDD and did it have no data on it sometimes win7 installs and saves your old windows 7 on the hdd which is just a waste of space. Also make sure your 8gigs of RAM is connected and working properly. You can check to see how much cpu usage your using while idling under task manager- performance tab; post your cpu usage and memory usage so we can see if there is something wrong with your cpu.

-Also what kind of PSU do you have?
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 6:52:27 PM

i just checked the ram compatability with my motherboard manual and it saws that it supports RIPJAW " F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO" but mine is a RIPJAW " F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL" Do you think that the ram isnt fully compatible?
m
l
February 22, 2012 6:57:05 PM

saxal said:

PC SPECS
BIOSTAR A880G+
ATHLON X4 BLACK EDITION
SAPPHIRE RADEON 6570
500W POWERSUPPLY
G-SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM
WD BLACK CAVIAR 250G 3.0GB/S SATA HARD DRIVE

Did you format the HDD before installing the Win 7?
m
l
February 22, 2012 6:58:35 PM

aqe040466 said:
Did you format the HDD before installing the Win 7?

the hard drive was brand new when I got it.
m
l
February 22, 2012 7:39:39 PM

Memory Specs on BIOSTAR A880G+:
Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333 MHz
2 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
Max. Supports up to 8GB Memory

-If your G-SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM is over 1333MHz then it probably wont work on your motherboard.
m
l
!