Sign in with
Your question

Replaced power supply on computer now monitor doesnt work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2011 1:24:05 AM

Hello,

I woke up one morning and my computer was off. I tried to boot it up and it only stayed on for a few seconds. First Thought was the PS(300w). I tried another one that i had (300w) and still same thing. I have replaced everything except the mobo, cpu, graphics card. Still nothing. Put a 500w PSU and it boots up now. And of course the monitor doesn't come on now. I have also replaced the monitor cord. Any suggestions?

More about : replaced power supply computer monitor doesnt work

a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 1:43:56 AM

When you say the system comes on, does it appear to load windows(Hard drive light does its thing and you hear sounds?)

If not, did you ensure you plugged the cpu power plug in(4 pins near the cpu socket.) If you miss this, the fans will spin and it will "look" like it is booting, but will just do nothing

Full system specs may help.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 2:10:37 AM

First, make sure the monitor didn't die on you. If it did, you know what to do. Test it with another system, or test system with another monitor. Then:
Make sure that the graphics card has all the power cables connected, as well. Some have extra connectors that they need, besides the power drawn from the PCIexpress slot.
Try to boot with minimum components (one stick RAM, graphics, no HDD - no need for it to get into BIOS) and see if monitor works and allows you to get in BIOS. In BIOS, select default settings, save and power off. Then, re-insert one component at the time and reboot after each attempt. Avoid shorting the mobo, use grounding and common sense at all times. When inserting components, ensure all the cables are connected (power, data, etc.).
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2011 2:12:56 AM

Double checked all the connections and they are secure. Lights and fans come on. No sound and no image on monitor. The ony thing that comes up is the check cable signal But monitor power button does flash on and off

4 gigs of DDR2 PC2 8500 ram. Geforce 8400 512 card. Not sure the processor as i have not looked at in a couple of years. My guess AMD 64 X2. Mobo is MSI AM2 K9N65GM-V.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 2:18:37 AM

That board has onboard video, try to pull your video card and use the onboard to see if it works.

If it does, check to ensure that the bios is set to use the PCI-e card and not the onboard

and all the good stuff above from house70(why retype it when he covered it all :)  ).
m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
a c 148 ) Power supply
a c 84 C Monitor
December 24, 2011 2:32:50 AM

Monitor OSD set to correct input ?

8 pin EPS or 4 pin ATX plugged in near CPU ?

GFX Card cable plugged in ?

CPU fan plugged into correct MoBo fan header ?

BIOS set to defaults ?

You said replaced everything but MoBo, CPU and GFX.....that means you replaced the HD .... did you reinstall Windows / drivers to the new HD ?

Try the monitor on another box.
m
l
December 24, 2011 4:21:46 AM

Thanks guy's for the input. I did try the on board vid card and still nothing. I might have an old vid card to try in the a.m.. Just have to find it. LOL. And Jack i have not replaced hard drive. i'm hoping to avoid that. I have replaced the case, CPU heat sic and fan, ram, and psu and have booted up with only my HDD connected. No CD/DVD drives. My mother board is a 4 pin ATX As for Bios I have not been able to get the monitor to work in order to check that out. If the spare vid card does not work i'll try another monitor and will post my results in the a.m. Thanks again.
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:25:16 PM

Ok tried on the on board vid card and now it shuts off again with in a few seconds. Back to square one as i thought it was the PSU causing the shut downs.
m
l
December 24, 2011 6:58:01 PM

Bought a new video card. Machine will run but no picture on the monitor? does that mean MOBO?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 7:05:20 PM

MB or cpu, Do you have a PC speaker(not the speakers you listen to music on) connected to that system(your should actually be built in)? Computer can beep you a code. Does it even beep at you?

Try pulling all stick of memory and the new video card. See if it beeps. generally no memory will make it give you long beeeeeps at least thats a sign of something.

If it does try one stick of memory in all slots.

Still no go?

Did you remove the cpu at any time, could it have a bent pin? May have to remove it to look. If you do that you need to apply new thermal paste.

I would hate to say, yeah its the board, but there are many parts to test, and you do not have lots of spare parts for a 1 by 1 swap out to test each part.
m
l
December 24, 2011 8:04:17 PM

Well i think i'm going to order the same board online and try that. And no i have not removed the processor since it was put in about 1 1/2 ago. I will try the mother board first then if that doesn't work then i has to be the cpu. :-)
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 10:03:33 PM

If the cpu has been in there for that long, its not a bent pin, that for sure. Kind of hope its just the board so you can be back to working.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 25, 2011 6:55:09 PM

I think now you're trying to get video thropugh the video card, when actually the mobo's BIOS has been reset to use the onboard video (happened when replaced the PSU). you need to make sure you get the video out through the output that is actually enabled in BIOS. For that you need do the following:
Plug the monitor in the mobo's VGA output (as opposed to the card's output)? After you do that, reset the BIOS to factory defaults (remove the CMOS battery for a little while and reinsert it, make sure the mobo is unplugged during all that) and then plug back in the PC and power it on. It should let you go into BIOS by default (again, using the mobo's onboard video, not the card's video output). Once in BIOS, select the video discrete card output for video, save and power off. Plug the monitor in the card's output and reboot. This time the video output should come through the discrete card.
m
l
December 29, 2011 11:31:00 PM

house i tried that and still nothing. Even with new mobo. I still can not get anything on the screen. I guess it is the CPU after all. Is there anyway to check that. I mean it has to be that or could it be my hard drive? New mobo, vid card, ram, PSU and no picture on the screen. But the comp is running with all fans. Looks like it works but no picture.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2011 7:45:23 PM

OK. If even with new mobo you can't get anything on the screen (assuming you're using the basic configuration and output from the onboard video, not the discrete card), I would assume it's the CPU, as every other thing has been replaced at this point.
Unless, of course, the monitor itself is toast. You did not mention testing the monitor on another system to see if it works. Does it?
m
l
January 5, 2012 1:29:18 AM

GoatRoper said:
Hello,

I woke up one morning and my computer was off. I tried to boot it up and it only stayed on for a few seconds. First Thought was the PS(300w). I tried another one that i had (300w) and still same thing. I have replaced everything except the mobo, cpu, graphics card. Still nothing. Put a 500w PSU and it boots up now. And of course the monitor doesn't come on now. I have also replaced the monitor cord. Any suggestions?

Vin here:Try disabling USB in BIOS and make sure the memory sticks are securely in their slots.Make sure the video card is not disabled in BIOS too.Good luck.
m
l
!