Upgrade the CPU or Video Card?

DarkHart07

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
So, I'm trying to decently run and have my computer live up well to today's game standards. I can practically run anything - just not-so-smoothly.

My CPU: AMD Athlon Dual-Core 4450B
My Video card: GeForce GT 220

I found some triple core AMD Athlon II series, I believe it was for about $70.
I also did some searching and found some decent Video cards with 2 gigs of memory as opposed to my 1. (Also, what exactly, besides the actual memory size, should I look for in video cards?

If I had to only choose one to upgrade, which should I go for? I'm only going with one for now (I know I should do both) because I just don't have the money required for both right now.

Solution

The 2GB of VRAM only become significant at resolutions...

nna2

Distinguished
start with the graphics card, and for graphics card, the higher the second number (*0** for radeon HD, *0* for Geforce) the higher the performance, but a HD 6850 is probaly outpreformed by a HD 7850 because the 7850 is from a newer series

randomkid

Distinguished

The 2GB of VRAM only become significant at resolutions higher than 1920x1080 so its okay to stick to 1GB VRAM options & save some $.

If you have to choose, go for a video card upgrade. Your 220 is just a little more than an HTPC card & wont play games.

Go for the gpu upgrade. $ for $ games benefits more from it than a processor upgrade.

Solution

DarkHart07

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah..Basically I upped my budget a lot more than I'd originally thought and basically built a whole new computer for a decent price. Around $300

AM3 socket mobo
Diablotek EVO case
Radeon 6770 card
600W psu
212+ fan (plus an extra fan for push/pull
4G sticks of Ram
Phenom II x4 965 BE