Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on which braided cables to buy

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2012 9:20:34 PM

Hi All,

Ineed your help and advice please. I'm building a new rig for the first time so am a total newbie. Here's what is going in to my rig, but I would like to have it all wired up with Alchemy braided cables, and don't know which ones to buy.

Bitfenix Colossus Venom case One additional Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm blue LED fan for back of case One Alchemy Connect 30cm blue LED strip Intel core i7 3770k Corsair Hydro H100 Extreme CPU cooler Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe mobo MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Hawk GPU OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Sata 3 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD XFX 1000W Pro Black Ltd full modular PSU Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM 10-10-10-27. 32GB total RAM Asus BW12Blu-ray / DVD writer Hauppauge Colossus PCI-Evideo capture card Syba SD PEX FWB Firewire Controller card Silverstone FP37B USB3.0 internal card reader Bitfenix Window side panel

Iheard this may do, but please add/subtract for what will be visible:

Alchemy 24 pin male to female ATX power extension cable 30cm. Qty 1 Alchemy 8 pin male to female intel eps power extension cable 45cm. Qty 1 Alchemy 4 pin male molex to 4 pin female power extension cable 45cm. Qty 1 Alchemy 6 pin male to female video card power extension cable 45cm. Qty 2 Alchemy 4 pin male molex to SATA power extension cable 45cm. Qty 3 NGear SATA serial ATA hard drive data cable 45cm 7 pin. Qty 3. (would much prefer Bitfenix, but these were suggested by the builder and it seems Bitfenix only makes 30cm ones-----------thoughts?

Many thanks inadvance for your advice/ help!
June 9, 2012 9:26:22 PM

2554467,1,1210639 said:
Hi All,

I need your help and advice please. I'm building a new rig for the first time so am a total newbie. Here's what is going into my rig, but I would like to have it all wired up with Alchemy braided cables, and don't know which ones to buy.

Bitfenix Colossus Venom case
One additional Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm blue LED fan for back of case
One Alchemy Connect 30cm blue LED strip
Intel core i7 3770k Corsair Hydro H100 Extreme CPU cooler
Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe mobo
MSI GeForce GTX560Ti Hawk GPU
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Sata 3
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD
XFX 1000W Pro Black Ltd full modular PSU
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM 10-10-10-27. 32GB total RAM
Asus BW12Blu-ray / DVD writer
Hauppauge Colossus PCI-Evideo capture card
Syba SD PEX FWB Firewire Controller card
Silverstone FP37B USB3.0 internal card reader
Bitfenix Window side panel

I heard this may do, but please add/subtract for what will be visible:

Alchemy 24 pin male to female ATX power extension cable 30cm. Qty 1
Alchemy 8 pin male to female intel eps power extension cable 45cm. Qty 1
Alchemy 4 pin male molex to 4 pin female power extension cable 45cm. Qty 1
Alchemy 6 pin male to female video card power extension cable 45cm. Qty 2
Alchemy 4 pin male molex to SATA power extension cable 45cm. Qty 3
NGear SATA serial ATA hard drive data cable 45cm 7 pin. Qty 3. (would much prefer Bitfenix, but these were suggested by the builder and it seems Bitfenix only makes 30cm ones-----------thoughts?)

Many thanks in advance for your advice/ help! [ /quotemsg]

I'm going for red braided cables? Sorry about the bad spacing on my original post.
m
l
June 9, 2012 10:05:37 PM

I know this isn't really the kind of input you were seeking, but...

Not only are you opting for a $230 1000W PSU which is overkill, you're also wanting to spend an additional $50+ on additional cables - all for a dinky 560 Ti?

I don't know what you're planning on using your rig for, but if it were up to me I'd rather opt for a 'regular' quality PSU and pick up a GTX 670.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 5:15:51 AM

I guess I heard not to skimp on the power supply, thus the 80
Plus Platinum 1000W psu I chose. I might add more hard drives and a raid controller later, plus didn't want to have to upgrade the psu in a year or two.

Braided cables- what can I say--i love the look.

I'm using my rig mostly for video editing/transcoding, but might get into the odd game here or there. A GTX670 is way, way better? Muc pricier though, no?

Any specific suggestions on a PSU or GTX670?

Thks

m
l
June 11, 2012 6:18:43 AM

You're right, one shouldn't skimp on the PSU - it's the heart of the system. But I'm not suggesting skimping :) 

To put things in perspective, both rigs in my sig running at full load consume only 685W combined (!) measured at the outlet. That includes a combined 3 SSDs and 5 HDDs, 8 case fans, a less-efficient i7-930 CPU, etc. That said, you could get a quality Corsair 750TX PSU which would still provide plenty of overhead and spend the difference on an upgraded GPU such as the GTX 670. The GTX 670 will improve your performance, whereas a 1000W PSU and braided cables won't - even though they may look good :) 

Particularly for video editing/encoding, a more powerful GPU would come in handy as most editors take advantage of hardware acceleration. Needless to say, a better GPU would benefit gaming as well.

The 670 isn't cheap, no... but it was just an example at what you could get if you dropped the overkill wattage, extra cables, and swapped the 560 Ti. You're spending roughly $520 for the three. Swap the PSU for a 750TX and you'd be left with a whopping $410 budget for a great GPU! GTX 670 or maybe the 580.

You're wanting to avoid upgrading, but if you go with a 1000W PSU and braided cables... I'd almost be willing to bet you'll end up wanting to upgrade that $240 GTX 560 Ti in a year or two :) 
m
l
!