mtanfield

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: About $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Streaming, Web Surfing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not really, although due to living in Austin, TX, I have access to a MicroCenter (~3 hours away)

Parts Preferences: Highest priority would be to go with i5-2500k (bang for the buck), lower priority: GTX 560Ti (looking for something to play WoW, Diablo III, SW:ToR on at least Ultra settings)

Overclocking: Probably (I haven't had an opportunity to buy a computer designed for gaming, let alone build one, so I'm fairly new to overclocking, but I know it is recommended for the 2500k)

SLI or Crossfire: Not at the moment (I won't be playing any games more graphics intense than the ones already mentioned, so I don't see the need for either at the moment)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 minimum

Additional Comments: If possible, it would be nice to have parts that would allow me to upgrade/add-on in the future. My current desktop doesn't allow this, as it has a smaller tower.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts already considered:

Processor:
Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor $180

Graphics Card:
ZOTAC ZT-50306-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card $200

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard $120

Power Supply:
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $70

Case:
Coolermaster HAF912 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case $55

Memory:
HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) $35

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 5,900RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST1500DL003 - OEM $100

Optical Drive:
Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support - OEM $18

Monitor:
Samsung 21.5" LED Backlit LCD Monitor $130

Windows 7 Home Premium $100

Total: $1008

I'd like to stay around that price range, but am definitely open to any suggestions regarding these parts. Thanks!

Solution
^ No need for TX650, cost more and wouldn't give anymore performance than the Neo Eco 620 already gives. You also don't need a 1TB Black drive, those are just a waste of money for the performance. At $170 definitely not justified.

Gas is pretty expensive, I don't know that it justifies a 3 hour drive somewhere just to save $40 on the chip. The Gas money would probably be more than what you saved.

Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Should work out for you fine, best of all for lower than your budget, you already get the ability to CF/SLI if you ever wanted to. Plus The board supports PCI 3.0 if you upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

If you want a 1TB+ though, go with a 7200 RPM drive specifically this one...

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
You actually have a very good build. I only have one suggestion. This mobo http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375352

If you check it on newegg.com or microcenter in store you will see its actually MISLABLED on microcenter.com. It has pcie 3.0 and is a great mobo that allows for future sli. That leads me actually to a second suggestion. If you want to sli in teh future then buy a bigger power supply now.

p.s. i know this because i am using this board my self

proof here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128538&Tpk=gigabyte%20GA-Z68AP-D3%20LGA%201155%20Z68

^ No need for TX650, cost more and wouldn't give anymore performance than the Neo Eco 620 already gives. You also don't need a 1TB Black drive, those are just a waste of money for the performance. At $170 definitely not justified.

Gas is pretty expensive, I don't know that it justifies a 3 hour drive somewhere just to save $40 on the chip. The Gas money would probably be more than what you saved.

Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Should work out for you fine, best of all for lower than your budget, you already get the ability to CF/SLI if you ever wanted to. Plus The board supports PCI 3.0 if you upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

If you want a 1TB+ though, go with a 7200 RPM drive specifically this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
Only $100 ATM

Solution

mtanfield

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
samdsox: Thanks for pointing that out! I will definitely try for that mobo! As far as the PSU is concerned, I think an extra $10 to extend the life of this machine would be well worth it.

xtremegamer: I am going to go with a better PSU, but the differences with the RAM and HD seem pretty minor. They are also more expensive than the Microcenter counterparts that I have listed. Is there a big enough difference between those that I should pay a little extra and deal with the shipping to go with these?

mtanfield

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
aznshinobi: Thanks for all that information! I'll definitely check out the article when I get a chance. The reason I would drive the 3 hours would be more than just for the CPU, and my car is pretty good with gas, but I will look into how much it would cost.

^ Ahh, if it's fuel efficient then why not. But Mtan, don't spend more on the PSU unless it gets you some sort of benefit IE 620w vs 750w. Not 620w vs 650w. The 650TX is close to the price of a 750w you might as well just get that so you can SLI in the future. The Neo Eco performs close for $20 less so yeah...

But definitely go with the Seagate drive I suggested you get more space with the 1.5TB but it spins at 5900RPM which is noticeably slower during boots and load times. With that said, I'd use a 7200RPM at least for your everyday drive for starting progs.

Since you are not getting an SSD, Green drives are not worth it for boot. Get a Caviar Blue.