Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PCI-e 6-pin to Molex 4-pin?

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2012 11:32:15 PM

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 that has one spare power cable, a 6-pin PCI-e cable. I am using all of the sata power cables with my hard drives. I purchased a USB 3.0 PCIe card with a Molex 4-pin MALE port on it and it doesn't want to work unless it is powered. My one remaining PCI-e cord from the power supply is also a male.

I can't seem to find any PCI-e 6-pin female adapter or extender so that I can connect these two male pieces together. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, or adapter to adapter solutions? Or should I just return the USB card and get one that doesn't require this kind of power?

More about : pci pin molex pin

a c 76 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 11:36:24 PM

So there are NO Molex connectors coming from the PSU? That would be quite strange. Maybe it's a Dell OEM PSU oddity, but having NO Molex connectors is very strange indeed, if true.
m
l

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 11:44:43 PM

PCIe won't give you the 5v power that the add in card might need
There are sata to molex adapters that may help
http://www.frys.com/product/6269790?source=googleps
Related resources
June 9, 2012 11:48:08 PM

Don't see any regular molex connectors. There are 4 sets of Sata - 2 DVD drives, an HDD and an SSD, and this is the ONLY freely dangling connector - the 6-pin. Most likely a Dell oddity, but it's a nice hand-me-down computer that I'd like to add a few things to. Most of the 4-port USB 3.0 drives are off brand (that I've found) and require the Molex power to run correctly.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 11:51:02 PM

The adapter that delluser1 linked should do the trick then, but you may need an Molex extension on top of that too, depending on how far away the drives are from the card slots.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:51:19 PM

This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!

delluser1 said:
PCIe won't give you the 5v power that the add in card might need
There are sata to molex adapters that may help
http://www.frys.com/product/6269790?source=googleps

m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 11:54:35 PM

geffo said:
This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!

You're right, and the adapter has a male Molex, so you're good there since there are adapters for that as well. My only worry is as stated above the the Molex connector may or may not be long enough to reach the card.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 9, 2012 11:56:17 PM

What USB card is it, BTW? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:57:30 PM

I found a 1ft female to female molex extender cable so I'm good there. As long as this won't cut my power to the HDD in a bad way, I think we did it! Thanks all!

DJDeCiBeL said:
You're right, and the adapter has a male Molex, so you're good there since there are adapters for that as well. My only worry is as stated above the the Molex connector may or may not be long enough to reach the card.

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 12:01:01 AM

geffo said:
Look at the big picture at the bottom of the ad, looks just like this

m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 12:02:43 AM

I think I was wrong anyway, but I think that's actually a Female connector on the adapter.

Edit, delluser1 got to it before I did.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 12:06:23 AM

geffo said:
What link is this picture from? I didn't see this in the link?

This is the pic from the Fry's site.

m
l
June 10, 2012 12:09:12 AM

Right, and I can't be positive of the male vs female ality of that cable. Not sure where the blown up one comes from but this is enough for me to go on. The adapters from there are easy to find locally. Thanks a ton both of you!

DJDeCiBeL said:
This is the pic from the Fry's site.

http://images.frys.com/art/product/alt_shots/6269790a.jpg

m
l
June 10, 2012 12:11:06 AM

Best answer selected by geffo.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 12:11:57 AM

geffo said:
Right, and I can't be positive of the male vs female ality of that cable. Not sure where the blown up one comes from but this is enough for me to go on. The adapters from there are easy to find locally. Thanks a ton both of you!

It's Female. I can see that now, I just wasn't looking down the page to where that pic was when I originally looked at it.
m
l
!