Solved

PCI-e 6-pin to Molex 4-pin?

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 that has one spare power cable, a 6-pin PCI-e cable. I am using all of the sata power cables with my hard drives. I purchased a USB 3.0 PCIe card with a Molex 4-pin MALE port on it and it doesn't want to work unless it is powered. My one remaining PCI-e cord from the power supply is also a male.

I can't seem to find any PCI-e 6-pin female adapter or extender so that I can connect these two male pieces together. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, or adapter to adapter solutions? Or should I just return the USB card and get one that doesn't require this kind of power?
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about molex
  1. So there are NO Molex connectors coming from the PSU? That would be quite strange. Maybe it's a Dell OEM PSU oddity, but having NO Molex connectors is very strange indeed, if true.
  2. Best answer
    PCIe won't give you the 5v power that the add in card might need
    There are sata to molex adapters that may help
    http://www.frys.com/product/6269790?source=googleps
  3. Don't see any regular molex connectors. There are 4 sets of Sata - 2 DVD drives, an HDD and an SSD, and this is the ONLY freely dangling connector - the 6-pin. Most likely a Dell oddity, but it's a nice hand-me-down computer that I'd like to add a few things to. Most of the 4-port USB 3.0 drives are off brand (that I've found) and require the Molex power to run correctly.
  4. The adapter that delluser1 linked should do the trick then, but you may need an Molex extension on top of that too, depending on how far away the drives are from the card slots.
  5. This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!

    delluser1 said:
    PCIe won't give you the 5v power that the add in card might need
    There are sata to molex adapters that may help
    http://www.frys.com/product/6269790?source=googleps
  6. geffo said:
    This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!


    You're right, and the adapter has a male Molex, so you're good there since there are adapters for that as well. My only worry is as stated above the the Molex connector may or may not be long enough to reach the card.
  7. What USB card is it, BTW? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.
  8. I found a 1ft female to female molex extender cable so I'm good there. As long as this won't cut my power to the HDD in a bad way, I think we did it! Thanks all!

    DJDeCiBeL said:
    You're right, and the adapter has a male Molex, so you're good there since there are adapters for that as well. My only worry is as stated above the the Molex connector may or may not be long enough to reach the card.
  9. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ARQV6U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

    It says that it ships with a Molex power cable but it did not. Not that it would help me.

    DJDeCiBeL said:
    What USB card is it, BTW? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.
  10. geffo said:
    This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!
    Look at the big picture at the bottom of the ad, looks just like this

  11. I think I was wrong anyway, but I think that's actually a Female connector on the adapter.

    Edit, delluser1 got to it before I did.
  12. What link is this picture from? I didn't see this in the link?

    delluser1 said:
    Look at the big picture at the bottom of the ad, looks just like this

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/peripheralindex.jpg
  13. geffo said:
    What link is this picture from? I didn't see this in the link?


    This is the pic from the Fry's site.

  14. Right, and I can't be positive of the male vs female ality of that cable. Not sure where the blown up one comes from but this is enough for me to go on. The adapters from there are easy to find locally. Thanks a ton both of you!

    DJDeCiBeL said:
    This is the pic from the Fry's site.

    http://images.frys.com/art/product/alt_shots/6269790a.jpg
  15. geffo said:
    What link is this picture from? I didn't see this in the link?

    That one is from Playtool ( just used it as a reference photo )
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    This one is from the bottom of the ad


    Ah, too slow
  16. I am still very grateful! I was at my wits end trying to figure out a way to make this work without returning the PCI card because I may have thrown out the box...

    delluser1 said:
    That one is from Playtool ( just used it as a reference photo )
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    This one is from the bottom of the ad
    http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/contrvlr/6269790a.jpg

    Ah, too slow
  17. Best answer selected by geffo.
  18. geffo said:
    Right, and I can't be positive of the male vs female ality of that cable. Not sure where the blown up one comes from but this is enough for me to go on. The adapters from there are easy to find locally. Thanks a ton both of you!


    It's Female. I can see that now, I just wasn't looking down the page to where that pic was when I originally looked at it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cable Power PCI Express Components