Your question

Buying a new AMD CPU, have questions

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
June 10, 2012 1:01:12 AM

Hi everyone, so I am looking to buy a new CPU. I psuedo built my last PC (reused an old dell motherboard and intel quadcore CPU) so I am sort of new to all this.

I was just wondering if I should wait for piledriver to come out or just go ahead with one of the current AMD cpus, if so, which one? Bulldozer or one of the older builds?

I will be using the PC for 3d model rendering and gaming.

More about : buying amd cpu questions

a c 1527 V Motherboard
a c 1207 à CPUs
a c 509 À AMD
June 10, 2012 1:02:42 AM

I would snatch up the 965BE and AM3+ motherboard and then see if Piledriver is going to be a nice upgrade. Unless you would want to go Intel which is going to handle the rendering better.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2012 1:46:59 AM

rolli59 said:
I would snatch up the 965BE and AM3+ motherboard and then see if Piledriver is going to be a nice upgrade. Unless you would want to go Intel which is going to handle the rendering better.

Intel is a bit too pricey for me, I don't know much about it all but it seems to me that AMD offers a much better price for the same stuff. Is Piledriver going to be useing tha AM3+ chipset? I think this CPU would be nice because it is not a ton of cash to dump on a CPU but will get me by for a bit until I decide to upgrade.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:48:16 AM

2fast4thetown_down said:
Bulldozer and a gigabyte mobo.

I want to get the bulldozer model, but I have heard a lot about it being not nearly up to expectations.
m
l
a c 1527 V Motherboard
a c 1207 à CPUs
a c 509 À AMD
June 10, 2012 1:48:35 AM

Yes Piledriver is for the AM3+ platform.
m
l
a c 1527 V Motherboard
a c 1207 à CPUs
a c 509 À AMD
June 10, 2012 1:49:07 AM

gorlios said:
I want to get the bulldozer model, but I have heard a lot about it being not nearly up to expectations.

Mostly in gaming!
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:21:43 AM

rolli59 said:
Mostly in gaming!

Well the big thing that I am hearing is that it is getting outperformed by previous models like Phenom II X6.
m
l
a c 1527 V Motherboard
a c 1207 à CPUs
a c 509 À AMD
June 10, 2012 3:54:07 AM

gorlios said:
Well the big thing that I am hearing is that it is getting outperformed by previous models like Phenom II X6.

That is correct in some but the 8core ones run some highly threaded applications well. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=203
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:28:52 PM

gorlios said:

It is an fx chip that has exeeded expectations check this out..

Got to this website and put in your chip name and all the other ones you are thinking about gettting and it will give you a rating higher is better.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 4:40:11 PM

If you can wait for Piledriver wait

If not put a Phenom II on an AM3+ board and overclock it.

FX will let you down gaming the high end FX chips which may do you well rendering will cost nearly as much as Intel i5's which would be a better buy.

Quote:
Got to this website and put in your chip name and all the other ones you are thinking about gettting and it will give you a rating higher is better.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

That website is widely discredited I wouldn't use it for any comparison

Use this one that rolli mentioned to see actual benchmarks on apps and games you may use though obviously none of these take in to account any OC you may do.
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:27:31 PM

Quote:
rather have an i3-2120 and Z68 Gen3 or Z77 but whatever.
best AMD gaming CPU is the 980BE followed by the FX -81xx chips.

I agree intel is bettter and the i3-2120 is a great chip and the z77 mobos are sweet.
m
l