New build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodakian

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hey experts, it has been awhile since I have OC'd a computer.

I want to build a gaming system with a budget of about $1000-1200. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 941bw. If I need to, I would go out of budget to replace it with a better. Not sure if that matters or not. Which is why I'm asking all these questions. Feel free to replace my options with better or, if they're that bad, tell me to buck off and let another cowboy ride the pony.

Processor: i5 2500k - $225
-looked at others and not willing to wait for ivy; as far as I can tell, this one looks rock solid for OC

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $122
-I've seriously read for hours and my eyes are bleeding, but I came up with this pick. If you can show me better, please do. I don't care about onboard video. Z68 is nice, but not necessary. All I want is to run my video card and OC my proc as cheaply as possible. SATA 6gb and USB3.0 are important to me too.

Memory: Crucial has never done me wrong and I'll pick up 8GB DDR3 from them for my mobo at what they charge. Let me know if I should look for a certain something.

Video: Again, my eyes bled and I tossed and turned at night deciding whether to get two cards in crossfire or just getting a good single now with the option to add another in a couple of years to stay current. I settled on spending more now(if I have to) on a good card instead of crossfire. I like AMD 7950 for about $500. Seriously, this is the first time that I have choosen a non-nVidia card. Did I read wrong or is crossfire really better than SLI? If they promise me bang, they got my buck.

HD: I can't take reading anymore. I'll cheap out and not get SSD yet. I'm looking in 500Gb to 1T fast rpm range. Someone just link me a good one please. I might get two for 0+1 speed and redundancy. Boot/load times are no big deal to me, fps means more.

Anywho, let me know if I'm swimming away from the boat on any of those.

Appreciate it!

Solution
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Looks like a good plan. If you'd fill out the form here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice I'd be more than willing to look at individual parts with you.
-The 2500k is the way to go, no doubts about that. Good job!
-For memory, it's whatever is cheapest/fastest/best lookin. Crucial is fine, so is Mushkin, G.Skill, Corsair, Geil and a variety of other brands. Just fine what you like.
-The 7950 is a good pick. As of now, Crossfire scales better than SLI, yes. Keep an eye on the upcoming Kepler series of cards, though.
-For $75, can't beat this HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

Hope i didn't bloat you down with a wall of text ;)
Cheers!

striker410

Distinguished
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Looks like a good plan. If you'd fill out the form here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice I'd be more than willing to look at individual parts with you.
-The 2500k is the way to go, no doubts about that. Good job!
-For memory, it's whatever is cheapest/fastest/best lookin. Crucial is fine, so is Mushkin, G.Skill, Corsair, Geil and a variety of other brands. Just fine what you like.
-The 7950 is a good pick. As of now, Crossfire scales better than SLI, yes. Keep an eye on the upcoming Kepler series of cards, though.
-For $75, can't beat this HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

Hope i didn't bloat you down with a wall of text ;)
Cheers!

Solution

Sodakian

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) ~$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Have monitor, keyboard, mouse. Monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 941bw

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any

Parts Preferences: Only set one is Crucial for memory

Overclocking: Yes pls

SLI or Crossfire: Yes Crossfire but certainly not an expert on which is best

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 currently for desktop. Here's where I would like to know if my monitor needs an upgrade.

Additional Comments: I didn't include case or cooling. Would like to stick with air cooling. Just need some advice and help to make sure that by cpu fan fits etc..

Thanks for the welcome! I hear you on the Kepler, but I'm la la la not listening. :) This system will probably be cheaper in a few months but I want it in two weeks. =)

G

You defiantly need to upgrade your monitor, especially for a 7950.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
+1 on the other comments. And good for you for avoiding the Kepler kool-aid. There will always be something better coming out "in just another month".

For cases, you can't go wrong with Antec or Corsair....something in the $100-$150 range with two 120mm intakes, a 120mm rear, and a couple of 120mm up top, or a 200mm up top (like mine).

For cooling, the 212 is the Honda Accord of overclocking to 4.5ghz. At $25 you can't go wrong. It will fit fine with most low profile sticks and some of the fancy ones with the epeen fins.

Personally, I can't look at a monitor under 27" after spending some time with my 42" Sony TV. I just recently ordered a 27" Samsung 1080 rez because I was sick of looking at pixels on my 720.

Status
Not open for further replies.