Sign in with
Your question

Will you be getting or upgrading to the 7970, or hold out for Nvida

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2011 7:56:23 AM

So the 7970 is pretty impressive; great benches, Lower Power Consumption than competition, and it is still $50 cheaper then the 3GB 580.

So are some you going to get this card at launch or soon after? Or will you wait to see my Nvidia has to offer?

Whatever you guys and I decide on see you after the Jump ;) 
a c 365 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 24, 2011 7:58:28 AM

Holding out for the Radeon HD 8xxx series.
m
l
December 24, 2011 8:52:29 AM

I think I will also hold out for the next gen of Radeon cards, though I feel it will only be a "refresh"... having just gone down to 28nm ... though I must say i was expecting a bit more of an improvement in performance - but then AGAIN... they are stillonly beta drivers... ATI radeon performances always improve with the updated, latest drivers...

Personally though, I find my 6950 is MORE than enough for any gaming I do... and I would only be upgrading to increas my BOINC outputs...
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 24, 2011 8:54:30 AM

I has no money for it :( 
m
l
December 24, 2011 9:10:35 AM

SecretCobraz said:
So the 7970 is pretty impressive; great benches, Lower Power Consumption than competition, and it is still $50 cheaper then the 3GB 580.

So are some you going to get this card at launch or soon after? Or will you wait to see my Nvidia has to offer?

Whatever you guys and I decide on see you after the Jump ;) 

I ordered my 7970 already (Sapphire, comes after Jan 20th).

I would wait for nVid's offer if it were guaranteed to be faster by a decent margin but I went thru this with the 5970 and 580 already. The 5970 came out but I waited for Fermi (with great fervor) checking all the hardware sites daily for any drop of info. When the benches finally hit they underperformed the 5970 so I bought the 5970 instead. In 580's defense, the 5970 is a dual gpu monster and it didn't perform better by much or in all games but I wanted top gaming.

If you have a good card now then you don't need to buy again for a while and you'll wait anyways which gives you the benefit. My 5970 is great for playing games @ 1080p with all settings maxed but it feels Metro 2033 too much and I can't jack AA up in all games. I got this card because it's not just another 4870/5870/6970, it has new architecture which makes it awesome like Fermi.

When it's time to upgrade I'm going to drop another and get 7990 style power.
m
l
December 24, 2011 5:14:02 PM

Yea Dual GPUs are pretty cool but I am sticking with either the 7970, or the 770 or 780 depending on pricing and performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 5:26:05 PM

@ top performance cards the difference is made by the customers preference, some are nVidia fans some are AMD/Ati.
With AMD you have Eyefinity with one card, with nVidia you have CUDA/Physics..pro's and cons.. but gaming wise, they offer the same performance.
m
l
December 24, 2011 5:31:30 PM

I plan on upgrading to SLI GTX 560s when the new Nvidia cards are announced. Then hopefully, moving to GTX 7xx series whenever that comes out. It all depends on my experience with Nvidia, for now, I am loving Nvidia more than I ever did with ATi/AMD for the past 3 or so years :) 

Essentially don't plan a major upgrade until 7xx and 8xxx series :) 
m
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 24, 2011 5:37:28 PM

I have a GTX560Ti now, and Skyrim is the only game I have that stresses it, so I probably don't need an upgrade just yet.
Still, I am seeing strange onscreen glitches in some games; may be software, but could be the card too, and one of the few upgrades I'm considering is 3-monitor Eyefinity, which would need something stronger, and something AMD.
I am also very interested in the power savings, particularly in a Crossfire setup where one GPU can be turned off. I don't think the HD7970 is the card I'll get, but a step or two down from that is a definite possibility. I will also be interested to see how well a HD7670 performs for a low-power rig.
So yes, there's at least one HD7K-series GPU in my future, but I'm not sure which one yet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 7:21:02 PM

Onus said:
I have a GTX560Ti now, and Skyrim is the only game I have that stresses it, so I probably don't need an upgrade just yet.
Still, I am seeing strange onscreen glitches in some games; may be software, but could be the card too, and one of the few upgrades I'm considering is 3-monitor Eyefinity, which would need something stronger, and something AMD.
I am also very interested in the power savings, particularly in a Crossfire setup where one GPU can be turned off. I don't think the HD7970 is the card I'll get, but a step or two down from that is a definite possibility. I will also be interested to see how well a HD7670 performs for a low-power rig.
So yes, there's at least one HD7K-series GPU in my future, but I'm not sure which one yet.

I run Skyrim fully maxed out, no stress... unless you're playing at 2500x1600 or higher.

On topic: not only not getting a 7970, but also not "holding out" for nVidia. There's just no need to upgrade. Show me a (worthy) game I can't max out with my setup first.
m
l
!