Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i care about tight voltage regulation?

Last response: in Components
June 10, 2012 3:52:05 AM

I understand that bad/super cheap PSUs are trouble, but when Im looking at a review of a PSU that has +/-3% voltage regulation and another that has +/-1% is that a big deal? Should I care?

Does it only matter if i start upping the voltage on my GPU when OCing? will it keep my components alive longer? will the psu last longer?

or if its within spec is it all good?

for reference I dont OC much but I do want everything to last.

This question came up because I just bought an Earthwatts Platinum which has 3% tolerance on the 12V but its super efficient, and i realized that the cheaper Earthwatts Green has <1% tolerance on the 12V but is less efficient. Im considering switching the parts.

a c 702 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 4:01:09 AM

It is within the ATX specs (+/-5%) which is all that matters. You are fine with your purchase and it is a quality brand.
m
l
June 10, 2012 11:39:05 AM

if that is all that matters then why do review sites talk about the differences in regulation/ripple when comparing PSUs if its all gravy?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 12:53:37 PM

They test to make sure that the PSUs actually are within the ATX12V standard...not all PSUs meet the standards that they claim. Poor voltage regulation and excessive ripple does cause premature wear/damage on PC components but 3% is not excessive. I would hesitate in comparing the reviews unless they were both conducted by the same site. Ripple would be more of a concern for me...how did the ripple compare.

Bottom line is that both are good quality PSUs made by a the same reputable mfr and either one will provide you years of quality power for your PC....choose whichever one you want.
June 10, 2012 4:51:34 PM

Best answer selected by chico1st.
m
l
!