Cannot get dual cards working...

veebee

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hi All,

In one of my i7-920's I had 2 x 4770's until recently.

The main use of my machines is crunching BOINC, though I have begun to play a few games (ie F1-2011 and Skyrim etc).

I recently upgraded this main rig (new X58-PRO E mobo, 1000W PSU and then recently a 6950 card).

Was hopinmg to run the 6950 and both 4770's (being extra greedy for BOINC credits) but I can see major heat issues developing, so that will wait until I can get my water blocks for these cards orderddn and delivered.

Problem is, that I was using this board with dual 4770's no problem, but now, with the 6950 in it, BOINC cannot see the 4770 I have in with it.

It isn't simply BOINC "mucking up" as Afterburner and CCC dont "see" the 4770 either.

I have that horrible feeling it is something stupidly simple (in fact - I think it happened when I put the dual 5850's in the second i7 a while back).. but I cannot work it out..

Any tips, checklists etc that might help will be gratefully accepted.

thanks in advance, and Merry Chrissy to all Toms Hardware members.

Veebee

veebee

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I dont run them in crossfire mode, they all run individually... I use these machines mainly for BOINC (if you aren't familiar with it, google - it is distributed computing of medical, scientific, mathematical research).
Single cards are a much better option for this as each one runs an individual work unit separately.

I cannot even get ONE 4770 running alongside the 6950 at this stage... I have been told by others that they are currently running different generation cards quite happily, even ati & nVidia cards in the one machine (supposedly - may have to try it).

The 6950 is the main display card and suffices on its own for any gaming I do... just seems wasteful to have the 2 4770's sitting here doing nothing when they are actually VERY productive (seeing they are double precision cards) for BOINC/ calculations etc.

So, the setup is 1 x 6950. then I wish to run another card, a 4770 , seperately, and if overheating can be avoided, another 4770 as well.
There is ample power available.

Thanks for the reply.. hopefully I have cleared up anything I didn't include to abvoid confusion.

Cheers,
Veebee

veebee

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
@ amuffin.. I know the 6950 is the "superior" card of the lot, but the fact is that I wish to run at least one of the 4770's , seperately to the 6950 (ie not crossfire) as each vidoe card does sh*tloads of processing work , which is the main reason I have these machines.

Yes, I do use this computer for gaming a bit, and the 6950 is great, but the extra card is not for ANYthing except running BOINC Work Units...

It doesn't matter that the 6950 is better than the others, I want as many cards running as possible - the more I have running, the more work gets done on research for problems such as Malaria, cancer, clean enrgy solutions, the LHC at CERN, Protein folding research, climate prediction etc etc.

So, I just want to know what I may have missed in setup or whatever, that is stopping this card from being "seen"/ recognised by not only the BOINC program , but by MSI afterburner, CCC , GPUz etc etc ..

Thanks

veebee

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I worked out what the problem was... so simple and something I had simply forgotten about...
uninstall catalyst/ drivers and re-install.... problem solved !

Thanks all.