Is it still worth investing in LGA1366?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodysch

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I have an old dell 435 studio that has an i7-920 processor and 6GB of ram. I want to build a new system and was wondering if it would be worth while to invest in the soon to be discontinued x58 lga1366 and use my old cpu and ram for a new system, to save on costs, or if it would be wiser to invest in an i5-2400 with appropriate motherboard. If i stay with the i7 it will definitely be OC to at least 3.5. My main concern is the money i'm saving by not getting a new cpu and mobo is not worth the lack of scaleablity offered by investing in a dying system.

Solution
it is not a good idea to invest in a LGA1366 as well it is slower then a LGA1155 at the same speed thus if money permits you get a sandy bridge CPU with a unlocked multiplier and OC that instead you should be able to use the same RAM for it as you would on a LGA1366 board anyways. With that while you are saving up as it will be around $500 for the mobo and cpu combo that is $250~ for the cpu and around $150-somwhere in the $300s for the mobo.

larkspur

Distinguished
Another reason not to buy an oem system. I'm not sure what you use the comp for but if you could OC your 920 you wouldn't have any need for SB or IB or maybe even Haswell.

But to buy a new x58 board just to OC your 920 is kinda meh, maybe if you got a great deal on one but even the 'cheap' ones are like $160 and at that point you might as well wait for the IB overclocking champ and buy another mobo.

yumri4

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
it is not a good idea to invest in a LGA1366 as well it is slower then a LGA1155 at the same speed thus if money permits you get a sandy bridge CPU with a unlocked multiplier and OC that instead you should be able to use the same RAM for it as you would on a LGA1366 board anyways. With that while you are saving up as it will be around $500 for the mobo and cpu combo that is $250~ for the cpu and around $150-somwhere in the $300s for the mobo.

Solution

kodysch

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Thank you all for responding, i guess i should have started with this but here is what i'd like to carry over to a new system:

CPU: i7-920

Ram: 6GB at (1x6) setup

HD: 750GB at 7200

CD/DVD

GPU: HD Radeon 4850 1GB

I bought the system back in summer of 2009 so it's served it's time, but the OEM motherboard preventing me from OC is a bummer, won't do that again.

I don't know if it was just browsing newegg that made me start thinking new system build. If the 1366 is a no go would it be better (cost efficiency wise) to just pull the trigger now and go with a 2xxxk system or should I upgrade to a HD 6850 on my current system.
I want to keep spending with in $500-$600

Thanks

g-unit1111

Titan
I bought the system back in summer of 2009 so it's served it's time, but the OEM motherboard preventing me from OC is a bummer, won't do that again.

That's why I will never buy an OEM system from Dell, Gateway, etc again - they use way too many proprietary components which makes upgrading incredibly difficult or in some cases near impossible. I'll never buy a PC I can't build myself (save for laptops).

Status
Not open for further replies.