Password-protected sharing won't be disabled

Greetings Earthlings,
I can't disable "password protected sharing" in Win7 (home premium, came pre-installed on new laptop, less than a week old). I can disable the setting in advanced network settings and save, and it stays saved when i re-open settings, but no matter what I change, whenever I try to open the network share from an XP machine it challenges me for a login/password.
12 answers Last reply
More about password protected sharing disabled
  1. did you try entering nothing and pressing whatever the login button is?
  2. If it's an admin share like C$, then you need an account to access the share.
  3. @Hawkeye22: I can't even open the shared computer without being challenged for a login/pass; at the moment all I have shared is an empty folder meant for network sharing / testing.

@alidan: if I enter a junk login/pass, it does let me in -- but the next time I restart that machine, I need to do so again. it will work, but it is beyond pestersome and it's annoying that I can't figure out how to make it go away.
  4. Is the win 7 laptop part of a "homegroup"? It seems that homegroup sometimes has weird behavior in regards to the standard permissions. If it's in a homegroup, try temporarily removing it from the home group and see if it works.

Also, I had to do step 2 on this page to get admin shares working properly. Perhaps it works with normal shares too. You need to reboot after making the registry setting.

http://blog.hansmelis.be/2009/09/06/administrative-shares-in-windows-7/
  5. Hawkeye22 said:
    Is the win 7 laptop part of a "homegroup"? It seems that homegroup sometimes has weird behavior in regards to the standard permissions. If it's in a homegroup, try temporarily removing it from the home group and see if it works.

Also, I had to do step 2 on this page to get admin shares working properly. Perhaps it works with normal shares too. You need to reboot after making the registry setting.

http://blog.hansmelis.be/2009/09/06/administrative-shares-in-windows-7/

It started off as part of a "homegroup" and later I disabled the homegroup thing, and it seemed to make no difference.

I'll try your link and see what happens, thanks.

Followup:
    it didn't seem to change anything :-/
    I am still challenged for a login/pass when first trying to open the share (the computer itself) from an XP machine. My wife's PC, on the other hand, also running win7, lets me in just fine.
  6. I had no problems getting my xp computer to see my win7, but I had an identical account/password on both computers. I had also changed my networks settings to use the user accounts for sharing, not homegroup. I did it like this:

Open the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Once there, in the left-hand pane choose Change advanced sharing settings. There are two lines that are circled. Try changing both as shown.

http://download.windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/W20101014-TopStory-settings.jpg
  7. Hawkeye22 said:
    I had no problems getting my xp computer to see my win7, but I had an identical account/password on both computers. I had also changed my networks settings to use the user accounts for sharing, not homegroup. I did it like this:

Open the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Once there, in the left-hand pane choose Change advanced sharing settings. There are two lines that are circled. Try changing both as shown.

http://download.windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/W20101014-TopStory-settings.jpg

I have both of those settings how you have them, though I also have the "password protected sharing" option set to "off". FWIW, i have no problem "seeing" my win7 share from the XP machine -- the issue I have is that I can't get the password challenge prompt to go away (no matter which settings I change, or how many times I restart).
    I have even tried the two registry tweaks suggested at the bottom of this thread, with no change: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/c4466abe-4a2b-4d2a-8df5-03f30186e64d/
  8. I understand that you can see the share, but are promted to authenticate. I had a similar problem but with admin shares. This is what I had to do to fix it. I don't know if it will work for you. On the win 7 machine do:

Open Regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System – create a new DWORD:

LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy with the Value of 1

Now my admin shares work and I'm not prompted to authenticate. You will need to reboot in order for the change to take effect.
  9. Hawkeye22 said:
    I understand that you can see the share, but are promted to authenticate. I had a similar problem but with admin shares. This is what I had to do to fix it. I don't know if it will work for you. On the win 7 machine do:

Open Regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System – create a new DWORD:

LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy with the Value of 1

Now my admin shares work and I'm not prompted to authenticate. You will need to reboot in order for the change to take effect.

I tried this already (per your previous post, this appears in the link you gave), and it didn't seem to work. however, i'm not sure I did a proper restart afterward, and I will try that now, and let you know if there's any further luck.

Edited to add: still no luck after a full restart :(
  10. Doh! Yeah, sorry. I forgot I had already sent you that link. At this point, I'm out of options.
  11. Ah well, thanks for the help. If you come up with any further ideas, please let me know :)
  12. drakar2007 said:
    Greetings Earthlings,
    I can't disable "password protected sharing" in Win7 (home premium, came pre-installed on new laptop, less than a week old). I can disable the setting in advanced network settings and save, and it stays saved when i re-open settings, but no matter what I change, whenever I try to open the network share from an XP machine it challenges me for a login/password.

Check that the Guest account has no password, even if its disabled. I had this show up on a friends account and just happend to enable the guest account to show that it was password protected. First enablethe guest account, then open a cmd as admin, type 'net user guest *' it will prompt you to change the guest password, just dont enter one and hit enter. close the user contrl panel and go back in and the guest account shouldn't have a password on it.

that helped me, hope that helps you and others.

Got some of the info here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/c4466abe-4a2b-4d2a-8df5-03f30186e64d/

didn't read much, most sentances longer than 5 - 6 words get fuzzy and ADHD kicks in...
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7