Sign in with
Your question

Installing XP on a wiped Dell Dimension 3000

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 10:54:27 PM

Recently wiped my brothers Dell Dimension 3000 with killdisk. For some reason it wouldn't boot from the CD so I put it on a USB and was able to boot in DOS mode (winnt). It copied the setup files to the HD, it took 2 days. Then it said reboot to continue, i did so and nothing happened. I think I may have messed up, went it asked me to select the drive during the setup i didn't quite know what to do so I selected C:\. I watched a video showing how to do it and apparently you need to select the drive which contains the setup files. But I have no idea how to find this out.

Got myself in quite the pickle, mind getting me out?

Cheers.
February 23, 2012 12:35:25 AM

Move the disk to a computer with good CD, leave ONLY THIS disk connected, and start setup from the WinXP CD. After first reboot (don't let it start), move disk back into that Dell.
m
l
February 23, 2012 3:18:42 AM

Alabalcho said:
Move the disk to a computer with good CD, leave ONLY THIS disk connected, and start setup from the WinXP CD. After first reboot (don't let it start), move disk back into that Dell.

Can you try rephrasing that? didn't quite understand.
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:26:20 PM

1. Find a desktop where you can boot installation CD.
2. Disconnect all hard drives from that desktop
3. Connect the hard drive from your brother's PC to that desktop.
4. Start installation.
5. After first restart, disconnect the disk, move it back to your brother' PC, and continute installation there.
m
l
!