Sign in with
Your question

First build ever, budget gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 11:10:09 PM

Hello all,

I decided that this year I'm using my tax return to build my very first computer. Very excited as I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Realized that instead of buying a new Dell or some crap like that, I would build my own that I can upgrade overtime. Now, although I have read numerous guides and such on computer building, I have realized that I still have no clue what the hell I'm doing. Lol. So any help you guys could provide would be great!

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $700 - 800 Dollars ($900ish)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing SW:TOR! Internet, listening to music and everything else you use you computer for.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, speakers, keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Would like an AMD processor as they seem to be so much cheaper that comparative Intels. I like the Nvidia graphics cards because they're all I've even known, but could be swayed to a AMD if the price/performance is right. Would like a TB Hard Drive as this will be my

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900

Additional Comments: I want it to be able to run SWTOR like it is it's job. (Because it will be, ha.) Also, we have wireless in my house, do I need to buy a wireless adapter or is it on the Mobo?...I know newb question, but I seriously don't know.

Parts I have picked out:

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seems to be THE budget case. And the blue LEDs are pretty friggin cool...

ASUS M4A87T AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
Should I spend more on a Mobo or is that money better spend elsewhere with what I want to do with this?

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Seems to be pretty pimpish for the money.

2X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Had the GTX 560 in there but read that the 560Ti is loads better and I can't afford the 570 and up. Is this overkill though? I want this system to be able to play games at as close to max settings as possible. I like to play games the way the designers intended.

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Rosewill gets pretty good reviews and I don't wanna spend a crap ton on a power supply. Also is 600W enough to power this? Might wanna add some stuff later so...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
I'm not a super speed guy, my stuff doesn't have to load yesterday. Might upgrade to SSD in the future, but for now this is fine.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

That's all I got. Again, thanks for any help you guys can provide!!!

P.S.:If you guys could recommend some ways that I could save some money as well, that would be great. I'm right at my limit right now and didn't want to HAVE to spend that much if I didn't have to.
February 22, 2012 11:47:28 PM

If you actually care about gaming get an Intel processor. I would suggest the I5-2400 or the I5-2500. This will force you to get a different mobo. I would suggest a p67. Also Best Buy has a set of 2 4 gig ram sticks (total 8 gigs) for $22. That is twice as much as you spent on ram. Also you only need about 550 watts so your psi should be fine
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:05:38 AM

The 600 PSU seems like it would be fine, AMD recommends a 450+ watt PSU at min. Although, if you are going to SLI you will need a larger PSU.

Someone may disagree but, the GTX 560TI will run SW: TOR pretty well.

You're going to need more RAM 4-6 GB will do. You're MOBO supports Dual-Channel so make sure to buy that kind.

I feel that an Intel processor would make it better, but you might have to buy another MOBO.

Feel free to add-on.

m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 12:10:48 AM

You will want a different brand on PSU. Don't cheap out and buy one not very good.

Intel processors are worth the extra money when they run circles around the AMD.

Lastly I would want that 560Ti as you have. Don't switch down.
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:12:03 AM

I'm leaning toward the AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB when going against the 560TI but by not that much. It is a bit more expensive, depending on the model/custom cooler but not by much and the same goes with the performance.

I'll go with more ram too. I'll go with the Core i5 2400 instead. Sandybridge is just too good.
m
l
February 23, 2012 3:52:18 AM

If possible I would get an 560 Ti over that card though. Would even pick up a 560 Ti over an 6950, don't think its worth the extra money for the about the same performance.
m
l
!