Sign in with
Your question

HELP! NEW COMPUTER JUST BUILT NO PICTURE!

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 11:13:31 PM

I just got done putting togethor my pc, and theres no picture, no bios.

The fans work, the cpu fan is going, the gpu fan is going, case fans, power supply fan. theres no strange noises, the front power button works, the dvd drive button works.

ive inspected and everything looks secure.

Am I doing something wrong? this is my first pc i've built so i assume the bios is in the motherboard and i can reach it without any additional software.

Im doing it through the dvi/vga, the inputs are on the graphics card not the motherboard.

my build:

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
4 core fx-4100 3.6ghz (bulldozer)
Raidmax 630 watt PSU
HIS radeon 6850
Corsair 4gb x 2 1600mhz ram
hitachi deskstar 250gb 7200 rpm
and a basic sony dvd drive

literally everything is working but no display, i wore an anti static wrist band, avoided carpet. Im freaking out cause i saved money for almost a year to afford this.

More about : computer built picture

February 22, 2012 11:53:54 PM

if you could acces bios see if you have the f 3 version needed for this processor
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:04:33 AM

i cant get to the bios, because my monitor wont pick up a signal!
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 12:08:17 AM

what are you using as a display? Monitor or TV? I know this sounds dumb but if its on a TV, maybe you have it on the wrong input? have you connected one end to the computer and the other to the display device and are in all the way? Are you using DVI or Vga? If DVI is it the input with the + or the - on the prongs on the input.

I hope you dont find my questions over basic but you never know. Sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:08:46 AM

also did you try more then one cable?
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:22:13 AM

ive tried 2 monitors. ones a tv ones a real monitor, i have tried VGA and hdmi, and nothing works.

Someone said something about POST on another forum, whats that?
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:29:17 AM

Aluwolf said:
ive tried 2 monitors. ones a tv ones a real monitor, i have tried VGA and hdmi, and nothing works.

Someone said something about POST on another forum, whats that?

POST is an acronym and it stands for Power On Self Test, on booting up you should see a listing of CPU, RAM amount and HDD's that are in the system or a splash screen of the motherboards manufacturer.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:27:25 AM

Back up a step and change your video output back to the MB. Boot it up and enter the bios to change video management to the card from the MB. Save and power down. Restart with the video out coming off the video card.

Ideally though, forget the card for now. Just get the PC working with updated driversetc then add the card and it's drivers.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:30:18 AM

:hello: 

I think the OP solved the problem (posted a similar thread here somewhere and it turns out the RAM wasn't seated properly).
m
l
February 23, 2012 4:56:13 AM

lol *** happens. Hopefully he got it working then
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:44:39 AM

Yeah it was the ram, but now im having trouble getting ubuntu to install. (fun fun fun fun) I just want to get this thing working.
m
l
!