Sign in with
Your question

AMD 6770 screen flickering

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2011 10:07:45 AM

Hello everyone,

So i went to my local PC store and decided to buy a 6770 + a 700 watt psu with 50 amps on the 12v. Before i had to pay for anything, the employees there were kind and said that they will try to put everything together and see if it works, only then i have to pay. So a few hours later the store called me and said that everything works, the card fits into my pcie 2.0 slot, fits into my case and works with the new psu BUT, the screen keeps flickering. They said that the problem might be that the card is pcie 2.1, my mobo is 2.0 ( Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ). So i came home with my old components, and started doing some research online, and i found out that 2.1 GPU's should work with 2.0 mobos No Problem!

So i started thinking, could the screen flickering problem be, that i forgot to uninstall my current Ati/Amd radeon HD 5550 drivers (it even is OC and i didnt reset it to normal clocks). ( They said the flickering started right when they started the PC). So because its holidays right now, the store will be opened again next tuesday. Then i plan on going back there and giving it another go, but before i go there, I would like to ask the experts here for some advice for what could the problem be so i can give them some suggestions aswell.

And i know that installing a GPU is easy, but since i need a new psu aswell, im gonna let them do it (Only costs me like 5 euros ).

Thanks,
Martin.
December 24, 2011 11:07:16 AM

are you on the current drivers for the 6770?
December 24, 2011 11:19:09 AM

Nope, since i didn't install the card myself, i took my PC to the store with the 5550 drivers installed, they installed the 6770 and the new psu and said the screen flickered,otherwise it works, and the store was about to close so they put all of my old stuff back in the PC and gave it back to me (They didnt even install the 6770 drivers i believe, otherwise i wouldnt have my old catalyst version and 5550 OC settings).

I know its partly my fault because i was just excited and forgot to uninstall the drivers, but could that cause the flicker?

Thanks
Related resources
December 24, 2011 11:23:25 AM

the card was not on the correct drivers so just install the current drivers.
December 24, 2011 11:25:09 AM

Yea, the store opens again on tuesday, when i take it there i will uninstall the drivers and let them try it again. So it's a high possibility that drivers were causing the flicker? If that's the case, i'm really happy because at first i thought my Mobo won't be able to take the 2.1 pcie card.
December 24, 2011 3:04:42 PM

yes, they should work. Why don't you right now uninstall old drivers, and download newest from AMD web site and try them instead of hitting on the hardware??
December 24, 2011 3:21:27 PM

Yeah bro just plug the card in yourself, its exactly like playing with legos, just fit it in the slot and screw it in, nothin to it :D 
December 24, 2011 3:48:02 PM

Hmm...so i should first uninstall the 5550 drivers, THEN plug in the 6770 and Then install drivers for it? Or first uninstall 5550 drivers, then install 6770 drivers and then plug the card in.

And i don't really "have" the card right now, it's in the store and if the drivers really are the issue, then i will get it on tuesday, if the drivers aren't the issue, the card and my pc will remain in the store for a few days until they can figure out a solution for this.

And do you guys think my Intel Dual Core E5400 2,7ghz OC to 3,4Ghz won't be TOO big of a bottleneck for the 6770? I would buy a 6850/6870 if the cpu wasn't a big bottleneck, but im afraid if i buy anything more powerful than a 6770, i wouldn't see the full power of the card anymore.

Thanks.
December 24, 2011 4:14:19 PM

the flickering was caused with the older drivers when the gpu changes clocks between idle/media/full3d... newer driver versions fixed this, whether it was by just changing the clocks themselves or other software optimizations is a bit unclear for me. Anyways with recent drivers you shouldn't get any flickers...

you should first uninstall the drivers, reboot (or just power down), change the card, and install the latest driver version. If there isn't any amd card plugged in the driver won't install...
December 24, 2011 4:20:02 PM

Oh okay, thanks, I'll be sure to do that. But do you think my cpu isnt too big of a bottleneck for the card? Will i still see fps improvements over my 5550? My cpu is Dual Core E5400 2,7ghz Oc to 3,4
December 24, 2011 4:24:20 PM

yeah, you will see a big improvement. There shouldn't be any bottlenecking for most games, some might, like TESV Skyrim but it's bit of a mess anyways...
December 24, 2011 4:56:12 PM

Thanks, appreciate it! Now i can't wait till tuesday when i should get the card.:-)
!