New budget WoW build

lhillbery

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi all,

This is my first build. I'd like to think I'm decently technically savvy, and I think I'll enjoy the challenge, so please don't try and deter me from actually attempting this. That being said, any and all help is very welcome, and please excuse my "noobishness".

I'm looking to make a computer simply to play World of Warcraft, and to do homework when I do end up going to college. I'd love to play on high graphics, at a good frame rate, and if possible, on my 52" CRT 1080i. My budget is about $500, excluding keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. I can go to $600 if it will significantly improve performance. I'm based in Florida, and would prefer newegg.com.

On a low note, I think that I could get away with not legally 'purchasing' the OS...

I have little regard for hard drive space. The vast majority of space used will be the game itself (about 30 GB).

I understand that WoW isn't a very demanding game, so builds like http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html could be adapted to better suit my needs, right?

Again any and all help is very much appreciated,

Luke

lhillbery

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I agree, I do like that build, but I believe there are some changes that could be made (and that's what I need help on) considering it is only for WoW. For example, the 500 GB HD is unnecessary, right? and I think the 6870 is overkill, but I very well could be wrong. World of Warcraft benchmarks are way below that of current and more demanding video games. So confused :/

Also, do I need an optical drive at all..? To install the OS?

braien334

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
You don't need the optical drive to install the OS, you can install it off a flashdrive.
500GB is far from too much, sure it depends of what you do, but it's always good to have extra space on your hard drive.
You may think that 6870 will be a overkill, but do you really think that you will be playing WOW for the rest of your life, maybe you will start playing some other game, that card is powerful enough to play most of the games on the market right now.

Hope that helped.