Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Nee Help On Budget Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 22, 2012 11:34:38 PM

This is what I have so far and it comes up to $570 before rebates. Now I am missing a motherboard, psu, and optical drive. I will not be doing any overclocking and was hoping to keep this under $700 before rebates. Any thoughts on what I should do for the mobo because I read a lot of negative reviews about each one. It gets really confusing. Also if you have any other parts to switch out below please let me know :) 

-Seagate Barracuda 500gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
=$84.99

-Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
= $189.99

-G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB) 1333Mhz CL9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
=$39.99

-XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
= $169.99

-Rosewill RNX-N250PCe (RNWD-11005) Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 150/300Mbps 2T2R 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WPA, WPA2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
=$24.99

-COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
=59.99
February 23, 2012 12:11:01 AM

I can go up to $800 if I have to. Also, this has been a question of mine that I really need to know. If something fails on the computer, How do you know what fails to send it in? Does the mobo have lights showing what fails or something?
Score
0

Best solution

February 23, 2012 12:18:05 AM

Quote:
I can go up to $800 if I have to. Also, this has been a question of mine that I really need to know. If something fails on the computer, How do you know what fails to send it in? Does the mobo have lights showing what fails or something?


Yes - most modern motherboards have LED lights and functions like beeping noises that will tell you where there are problems.

Quote:
This is what I have so far and it comes up to $570 before rebates. Now I am missing a motherboard, psu, and optical drive. I will not be doing any overclocking and was hoping to keep this under $700 before rebates. Any thoughts on what I should do for the mobo because I read a lot of negative reviews about each one. It gets really confusing. Also if you have any other parts to switch out below please let me know :) 


In choosing a motherboard you just have to go for it. If someone can find something to complain about, they'll complain about it. Where a lot of the problems lie is with either installation or overclocking. If you leave it alone, it will be fine. If you take your time and really properly install it, it will be fine.

Most of your build looks good - the HAF 912 is the best case in its' class and is an absolute steal for the price. The only thing I might swap is the video card - a lot of people don't like the design of the Double D, this might be a better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Share
Related resources
February 23, 2012 3:07:46 AM

You can combo the corsiar 600 builder series with a 500gb seagate hard drive and save $20.
ComboHere
Another option for a motherboard would be an asrock h61 to save some. Although I personally like Asrock Z68 mentioned above
AsrockH61M/U3S3
Promo Code available for i5-2400 available until 2/27 (EMCNHHJ32) $10 off
Otherwise you can look for i5-2400 combo'd with a dvd rw that usually saves $10-11.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 8:25:33 AM

Thanks Guys for the quick response!
Now I have to ask, what is the difference between the video card I posted and the one you posted?

And that combo deal looks great. How did you find that?

And that z68 motherboard looks perfect! Does it beep and light up in certain areas where there is a problem?
Score
0
February 23, 2012 3:34:02 PM

DaKeD said:
You can combo the corsiar 600 builder series with a 500gb seagate hard drive and save $20.
ComboHere
Another option for a motherboard would be an asrock h61 to save some. Although I personally like Asrock Z68 mentioned above
AsrockH61M/U3S3
Promo Code available for i5-2400 available until 2/27 (EMCNHHJ32) $10 off
Otherwise you can look for i5-2400 combo'd with a dvd rw that usually saves $10-11.


I would not get H61 on a desktop system - the expansion options will be severely limited and very frustrating in the long run. Go Z68 - you will have more choices for CPU and RAM options, more SATA ports for HD expansion and the ability to SLI or Crossfire your video cards.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 4:30:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I would not get H61 on a desktop system - the expansion options will be severely limited and very frustrating in the long run. Go Z68 - you will have more choices for CPU and RAM options, more SATA ports for HD expansion and the ability to SLI or Crossfire your video cards.


I am going to get the Z68 but I have a few questions.

What is the difference between the video card I posted and the one you posted?
Does the Z68 beep and light up in certain areas where there is a problem?
Score
0
February 23, 2012 5:17:28 PM

Quote:
What is the difference between the video card I posted and the one you posted?


The main difference is the one you posted is a dual fan solution for cooling where this one is a single fan solution. I've read numerous reports saying that dual fan solutions can actually obstruct your system's air flow. This might be a better choice. Sapphire is also a good brand with an excellent reputation - I've owned several of their video cards and never had a single problem (my current workstation is using one).

Quote:
Does the Z68 beep and light up in certain areas where there is a problem?


Yes - the Z68 boards have LED lights and speakers built into them where before you had to use a wired speaker to diagnose POST problems, it mainly depends on which manufacturer you go with.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 6:27:13 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
What is the difference between the video card I posted and the one you posted?


The main difference is the one you posted is a dual fan solution for cooling where this one is a single fan solution. I've read numerous reports saying that dual fan solutions can actually obstruct your system's air flow. This might be a better choice. Sapphire is also a good brand with an excellent reputation - I've owned several of their video cards and never had a single problem (my current workstation is using one).

Quote:
Does the Z68 beep and light up in certain areas where there is a problem?


Yes - the Z68 boards have LED lights and speakers built into them where before you had to use a wired speaker to diagnose POST problems, it mainly depends on which manufacturer you go with.


Thank you for all your help so far G-Unit!

Can you tell me what the difference is in these motherboards?

This is the Z68: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a P67: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is one better?


Also, The Wifi I selected below. Will it work after I install it? Is it compatible with the mobo and then I can hook up to my wireless router?
-Rosewill RNX-N250PCe (RNWD-11005) Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 150/300Mbps 2T2R 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WPA, WPA2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] %20Adapter
=$24.99
Score
0
February 23, 2012 8:59:16 PM

ksteven813 said:
Thank you for all your help so far G-Unit!

Can you tell me what the difference is in these motherboards?

This is the Z68: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a P67: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is one better?



No problem.

The Z68 enables onboard video and smart SSD caching, the P67 doesn't.

Quote:
Also, The Wifi I selected below. Will it work after I install it? Is it compatible with the mobo and then I can hook up to my wireless router?
-Rosewill RNX-N250PCe (RNWD-11005) Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 150/300Mbps 2T2R 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WPA, WPA2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] %20Adapter
=$24.99


Yeah that should work fine. You could just get a USB wifi adapter just to be on the safe side - they're all I've ever used.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 8:06:35 AM

Best answer selected by ksteven813.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 8:07:11 AM

g-unit1111 said:
No problem.

The Z68 enables onboard video and smart SSD caching, the P67 doesn't.

Quote:
Also, The Wifi I selected below. Will it work after I install it? Is it compatible with the mobo and then I can hook up to my wireless router?
-Rosewill RNX-N250PCe (RNWD-11005) Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 150/300Mbps 2T2R 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WPA, WPA2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] %20Adapter
=$24.99


Yeah that should work fine. You could just get a USB wifi adapter just to be on the safe side - they're all I've ever used.


Excellent! Thanks for all your help!
Score
0
February 24, 2012 2:06:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!