Is my GPU broke or is it something else?

Sedare

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello,

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it seems GPU oriented enough.

Every time I get into game in WoW, and I've even tested this with MW2, the screen glitches out. All sorts of artifacts occur with green stripes and what not and I can't alt-tab out or ctrlaltdel either. I basically have to do a hard restart.

However, when this happens, the HD light is still blinking like mad, and if I have Teamspeak on, it sometimes intermittently brings talk through to my speakers.

So my question is, is my GPU dying/dead? Can a GPU function to drive a display whilst being unable to play games due to other parts of the card being engaged? I'm typing from the same machine now, no problem.

I've reinstalled WoW, but the problem keeps occuring. I just don't know what is going on.

I have an 8800GTS 512. I don't really have the money for a rebuild, let alone a replacement.

Do any of you have any insights or suggestions?

Rest of the machine:
680i Mobo
4gb of ddr800
2.4 Q6400 (maybe, can't remember) quad core
2 HD, 500 and 750 GB respectively
Vista 64 Ultimate

I know it's an older system but I feel it 1. fulfills the needs for now, and 2. I can't make any big purchases as I'm saving for my wedding in March.

Thanks for any help.

Sedare

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
as soon as I posted this the computer glitched out. I'm posting in safe mode now. I think it may be a driver issue. I'm re-downloading it now and will re-install. Hopefully this will solve the issue and I can limp by on this machine for some more time. :)

Sedare

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I went and bought a Geforce 520 GT 2GB of Ram at Best Buy for 85 bucks after tax. It's a bit pricey IMO. I installed and updated drivers and was able to walk around in WoW and talk to friends. Problem solved? I'm not sure.

I've gone to http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=548&card2=650

to do a comparison and it just seems the 8800GTS 512 is better than what I bought despite its age. It kind of annoys me, but what are you going to do. I suppose I'll just use this new card for now then use it as a PhysX card when I do a system rebuild.

I figured my 8800 was ready to die though. I've been getting BSOD's and other issues for ages.