Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Great Photo Spots in Victoria, Australia??

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 31, 2005 1:56:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Hi there

Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria (Australia) with
opportunities to take pics in all photographic styles, but particularly
landscape??

Thanks!
Frank C.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:56:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

I have a few favourites, but they're kinda secret. ;)  I can give you
some generic ideas though...

- Pick an area you like, then ask some locals if there are any
interesting spots to visit.

- Go for a drive and keep a keen eye out for any signs pointing to
features. They won't necessarily be huge green or brown vicroads signs.
Don't be afraid to explore side roads either. I've discovered a couple
of great locations this way.

- Buy a Vicroads country Melways which may also have some hints (it
shows rivers and mountains, for example) and as a bonus you'll never
get lost.

- If you find a major feature, look around for other things too. Here's
somewhere I visit occasionally and I've only ever concentrated on the
waterfall. Last time there was very little water, so I had to find
other things of interest... and I'm amazed that I had never noticed
them before:

http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/20050513_0674.jpg
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

The High Country of the Alps.........but dress warmly at this time of the
year !!

"Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au...
> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria (Australia)
with
> opportunities to take pics in all photographic styles, but particularly
> landscape??
>
> Thanks!
> Frank C.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:00:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

The 12 Apostles :) 

=bob=

"Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au...
> Hi there
>
> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria (Australia)
> with
> opportunities to take pics in all photographic styles, but particularly
> landscape??
>
> Thanks!
> Frank C.
>
>
June 1, 2005 12:05:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

The Grampians
The Great Ocean Road
Cape Otway

"Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au...
> Hi there
>
> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria (Australia)
> with
> opportunities to take pics in all photographic styles, but particularly
> landscape??
>
> Thanks!
> Frank C.
>
>
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:25:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au...
> Hi there
>
> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria (Australia)
with
> opportunities to take pics in all photographic styles, but particularly
> landscape??
>
> Thanks!
> Frank C.


The Hume Highway, leading to Sydney.



(sorry - couldn't resist)



--
Jeff R.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:45:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in
news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au:

> Hi there
>
> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria
> (Australia) with opportunities to take pics in all photographic
> styles, but particularly landscape??
>
> Thanks!
> Frank C.
>
>

I always enjoy the 12 Apostles, and there are plenty of spots around Vic.

Here are some I prepared earlier

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=17963

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:Xns966B6D236A257nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
> "Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in
> news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au:
>
> > Hi there
> >
> > Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria
> > (Australia) with opportunities to take pics in all photographic
> > styles, but particularly landscape??
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Frank C.
> >
> >
>
> I always enjoy the 12 Apostles, and there are plenty of spots around Vic.
>
> Here are some I prepared earlier
>
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=17963


There's some really nice examples of using sunlight there.
Great work, Michael. Congrats.

--
Jeff R.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:52:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Jeff R" <contact.me@this.ng> wrote in
news:42a0fb44$0$23801$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au:

>
> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:Xns966B6D236A257nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>> "Frankc" <frankc01@dodo.com.au> wrote in
>> news:429c34b0@news.comindico.com.au:
>>
>> > Hi there
>> >
>> > Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria
>> > (Australia) with opportunities to take pics in all photographic
>> > styles, but particularly landscape??
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Frank C.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> I always enjoy the 12 Apostles, and there are plenty of spots around
>> Vic.
>>
>> Here are some I prepared earlier
>>
>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=17963
>
>
> There's some really nice examples of using sunlight there.
> Great work, Michael. Congrats.
>
> --
> Jeff R.
>
>
>

Why thankye muchly

Mick
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:Xns966B80A6042EBnmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
> "Jeff R" <contact.me@this.ng> wrote in
> >> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=17963
> >
> >
> > There's some really nice examples of using sunlight there.
> > Great work, Michael. Congrats.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff R.
> >
> >
> >
>
> Why thankye muchly
>
> Mick

Welcome.

In that last half hour before sunset (rarely sunrise), when all the treetops
go golden brown and the bare sandstone just *glows*...

Where a scrubby bush scene suddenly takes on Hans Heysen-esque
proportions...

When the sulphur-crested white cockatoos go screaming overhead like
amplified banshees...

When I'm prompted to think yet again: "Gadzooks, I'm glad I live here.."

When the *really* good light only lasts for about 5 minutes (if that)....

How is it that I'm *always* without my camera?

====

I'm guessing, Mick, that you were not there at that time by *accident*, no?

--
Jeff R.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Jeff R" <contact.me@this.ng> wrote in message
news:42a11773$0$16857$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>
> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:Xns966B80A6042EBnmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
> > "Jeff R" <contact.me@this.ng> wrote in
> > >> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=17963
> > >
> > >
> > > There's some really nice examples of using sunlight there.
> > > Great work, Michael. Congrats.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jeff R.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Why thankye muchly
> >
> > Mick
>
> Welcome.
>
> In that last half hour before sunset (rarely sunrise), when all the
treetops
> go golden brown and the bare sandstone just *glows*...
>
> Where a scrubby bush scene suddenly takes on Hans Heysen-esque
> proportions...
>
> When the sulphur-crested white cockatoos go screaming overhead like
> amplified banshees...
>
> When I'm prompted to think yet again: "Gadzooks, I'm glad I live here.."
>
> When the *really* good light only lasts for about 5 minutes (if that)....
>
> How is it that I'm *always* without my camera?
>
> ====
>
> I'm guessing, Mick, that you were not there at that time by *accident*,
no?
>
> --
> Jeff R.
>
>
>

I usually try to plan my visits for the right time of the day.

Mick
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:11:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

>> Can anybody recommend great photo spots in country Victoria
>> (Australia) with opportunities to take pics in all photographic
>> styles, but particularly landscape??

I just received the latest issue of "Royal Auto" the RACV magazine and there
is a good article on the Otway ranges, some of the best photo ops in the
"WORLD".

Closer to home you could try the Dandenong's, at this time of the year
(Autumn) the colours are fantastic.

Next go to Gippsland and drive through the Stresleki ranges ( the range of
hills between the Princes Hwy and the South Gippsland Hwy) mostly farming
but some fantastic valleys and creeks.

Wilson's Prom is usually another good spot but I'm not sure how much damage
was done by the recent fire.

Now going North West into the "Big Desert" not the sandy waste land most
people expect but lots of scrub covered dunes and twisted and knarled stumpy
trees, amazing wild flowers during spring, not like West Australia and you
need to look for them but they are there.

If in about 200 years you have photoed out these spots then give me a call
and I can tell you more.

Remember Anyone can look but only a few can SEE.

First go to a library and find a book on art composition and pick out a few
basic rules and apply them to your photographs

Good luck and good shooting
Perrian
!