Is the performance hit bad if you run a PCIE 2.0 card on PCIE x16 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kresge2000

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Ok well my brother has a motherboard with pcie x16 not 2.0 and if he got something like a 6770 would there be a big difference in perfomance. Like instead of 50fps you get 30?

Solution
There should be no noticeable difference in performance as 16x PCI-E 1.1 is still enough bandwidth for that card. You can only see the small difference in synthetic benchmark results but not that much. The real question is if the motherboard is fine with PCI-E 2.0 cards (early 1.0 boards were not up to standard and may need a BIOS update if it works at all) and if the CPU can keep up ^_^.
There should be no noticeable difference in performance as 16x PCI-E 1.1 is still enough bandwidth for that card. You can only see the small difference in synthetic benchmark results but not that much. The real question is if the motherboard is fine with PCI-E 2.0 cards (early 1.0 boards were not up to standard and may need a BIOS update if it works at all) and if the CPU can keep up ^_^.

Solution

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

True.

I had an issue once trying to upgrade a video card, it fried my motherboard, I end up building a whole new system because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.