Tweak UI

I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
to the \all users\shared documents default.

Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
Tweak UI was doing this anyway).

Thanks,

Mark
5 answers Last reply
More about tweak

    Hi Mark,

    Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.

    SOLUTION
    Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    it. The value which present there by default is
    "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    say 'D:\SharedDocs'

    Change the value here as well.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders

    To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
    with Shared Documents, try this:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    In the right-pane:
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path

    Important:
    No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    One space in between (Common Documents)

    Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting the
    shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
    the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
    folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
    disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
    However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
    drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
    to the \all users\shared documents default.

    Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
    Tweak UI was doing this anyway).

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Thats done it.........

    Thanks

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
    >
    > SOLUTION
    > Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    > it. The value which present there by default is
    > "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    > say 'D:\SharedDocs'
    >
    > Change the value here as well.
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    > Folders
    >
    > To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
    > along
    > with Shared Documents, try this:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane:
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
    >
    > Important:
    > No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    > One space in between (Common Documents)
    >
    > Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
    > the
    > shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
    > the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
    > folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
    > disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
    > However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
    > drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
    > to the \all users\shared documents default.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
    > Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    You're welcome.

    --

    Thats done it.........

    Thanks

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
    >
    > SOLUTION
    > Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    > it. The value which present there by default is
    > "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    > say 'D:\SharedDocs'
    >
    > Change the value here as well.
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    > Folders
    >
    > To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
    > along
    > with Shared Documents, try this:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane:
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
    >
    > Important:
    > No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    > One space in between (Common Documents)
    >
    > Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
    > the
    > shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
    > the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
    > folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
    > disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
    > However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
    > drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
    > to the \all users\shared documents default.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
    > Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    Hi Ramesh,

    I have experienced similar problems with Mark, who posted the original
    message. I have followed your instructions and have also successfully solved
    the problem. however, ever since the target of the folders have been changed,
    the shared documents folder has also gone missing from my computer. do you
    know any way to solve this problem?

    Thanks,
    Hongyue :)

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thats done it.........
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi Mark,
    > >
    > > Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
    > >
    > > SOLUTION
    > > Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > > Shell Folders
    > >
    > > In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    > > it. The value which present there by default is
    > > "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    > > say 'D:\SharedDocs'
    > >
    > > Change the value here as well.
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    > > Folders
    > >
    > > To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
    > > along
    > > with Shared Documents, try this:
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > > Shell Folders
    > >
    > > In the right-pane:
    > > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    > > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    > > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
    > >
    > > Important:
    > > No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    > > One space in between (Common Documents)
    > >
    > > Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
    > > the
    > > shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
    > > the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >

    > > "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
    > > folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
    > > disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
    > > However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
    > > drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
    > > to the \all users\shared documents default.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
    > > Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mark

    Do you have TweakUI?
    + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
    Apply | OK
    ================

    Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

    The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes