Tweak UI

September 30, 2004 11:53:51 AM

I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
to the \all users\shared documents default.

Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
Tweak UI was doing this anyway).

Thanks,

Mark

More about : tweak

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:33:12 PM

Hi Mark,

Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.

SOLUTION
Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
it. The value which present there by default is
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
say 'D:\SharedDocs'

Change the value here as well.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
with Shared Documents, try this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane:
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path

Important:
No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
One space in between (Common Documents)

Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting the
shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o HhY7orpEHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
to the \all users\shared documents default.

Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
Tweak UI was doing this anyway).

Thanks,

Mark
September 30, 2004 9:21:43 PM

Thats done it.........

Thanks

> Hi Mark,
>
> Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
>
> SOLUTION
> Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
> it. The value which present there by default is
> "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
> say 'D:\SharedDocs'
>
> Change the value here as well.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
> along
> with Shared Documents, try this:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane:
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
>
> Important:
> No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
> One space in between (Common Documents)
>
> Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
> the
> shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
> the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o HhY7orpEHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
> folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
> disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
> However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
> drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
> to the \all users\shared documents default.
>
> Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
> Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 2:48:42 PM

You're welcome.

--

Thats done it.........

Thanks

> Hi Mark,
>
> Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
>
> SOLUTION
> Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
> it. The value which present there by default is
> "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
> say 'D:\SharedDocs'
>
> Change the value here as well.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
> along
> with Shared Documents, try this:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane:
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
>
> Important:
> No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
> One space in between (Common Documents)
>
> Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
> the
> shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
> the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o HhY7orpEHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
> folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
> disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
> However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
> drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
> to the \all users\shared documents default.
>
> Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
> Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 7:03:01 AM

Hi Ramesh,

I have experienced similar problems with Mark, who posted the original
message. I have followed your instructions and have also successfully solved
the problem. however, ever since the target of the folders have been changed,
the shared documents folder has also gone missing from my computer. do you
know any way to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Hongyue :)

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thats done it.........
>
> Thanks
>

> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Redirecting "Shared" folders using TweakUI in XP does not help.
> >
> > SOLUTION
> > Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> > Shell Folders
> >
> > In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
> > it. The value which present there by default is
> > "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
> > say 'D:\SharedDocs'
> >
> > Change the value here as well.
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> > Folders
> >
> > To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
> > along
> > with Shared Documents, try this:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> > Shell Folders
> >
> > In the right-pane:
> > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
> > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
> > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
> >
> > Important:
> > No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
> > One space in between (Common Documents)
> >
> > Credit to Keith Miller, who pointed out that this function (redirecting
> > the
> > shared folders) of TweakUI does not help. Logoff and login back. See that
> > the Shared folders are now redirected successfully.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >

> > "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o HhY7orpEHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I am using Tweak UI to change the target folders on some of the special
> > folders such as "shared documents". I have several partitions on my hard
> > disk which I use for various things one of which are shared documents.
> > However, although I can change the settings to map to this partition (E:\
> > drive) it does not work and also the seting does not stay there it reverts
> > to the \all users\shared documents default.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I am happy to play around in the registry (but thought
> > Tweak UI was doing this anyway).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 4:16:02 PM

Do you have TweakUI?
+ My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
Apply | OK
================

Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes