Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Which is the best barebones for an upgradeble rig?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Barebones
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 3:13:45 AM

Hey, im gonna choose between 2 barebones for my next rig. I wanna make sure its upgradable, and i want the best CPU, so i dont have to change it very often. Which one has the best CPU and most futureproof motherboard? im thinking of outfitting them with an Nvidia Kepler when it comes out.

More about : barebones upgradeble rig

a c 100 B Homebuilt system
a c 85 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 6:02:17 PM

I'd honestly hesitate to recommend either one. Both include junk PSUs and either horrible or no video cards. You can probably do better picking components yourself. I know HD prices are ridiculous but they'll drop in the next few months - they're already starting to.

For $350 you can certainly do way better. Try this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $49.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair CX430 - $44.99 ($10.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M - $69.99
CPU: 2.4GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 - $69.99
RAM: PNY Optima 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $19.99
HD: 250GB Seagate Barracuda ST - $79.99
Optical: LG DVD Burner - $16.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 - $64.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $421.99 - $45.00 MIR = $376.99
Score
0
Related resources
February 23, 2012 6:33:34 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd honestly hesitate to recommend either one. Both include junk PSUs and either horrible or no video cards. You can probably do better picking components yourself. I know HD prices are ridiculous but they'll drop in the next few months - they're already starting to.

For $350 you can certainly do way better. Try this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $49.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair CX430 - $44.99 ($10.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M - $69.99
CPU: 2.4GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 - $69.99
RAM: PNY Optima 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $19.99
HD: 250GB Seagate Barracuda ST - $79.99
Optical: LG DVD Burner - $16.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 - $64.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $421.99 - $45.00 MIR = $376.99

ok. there is no reason to put a gpu as part of the price, i was gonna buy one separately anyways. i can upgrade the PSU if necessary. im just concerned with the setup you gave me. The processor sux alot.

i found another one than i seem to kike. It is less than $450. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
it has a 2500k, which seems like an really good CPU to balance a future kepler GPU. i would obviiously need to upgrade my PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i just want to make a somewhat futureproof rig, and a pentium isnt going to help me do that. my other rig im buildidng is a quick budget rig. for that, imma use http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... and probably pair it up with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for a sub $400 rig.

wat do u think? :) 
Score
0
a c 100 B Homebuilt system
a c 85 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 7:19:11 PM

Quote:

ok. there is no reason to put a gpu as part of the price, i was gonna buy one separately anyways. i can upgrade the PSU if necessary. im just concerned with the setup you gave me. The processor sux alot.


Actually it doesn't - even the dual core Pentium G620 outperforms an octo-core AMD FX-8150 and even outperforms a Phenom II 1090, check it out: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Quote:
i found another one than i seem to kike. It is less than $450. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] &CatId=333


That one is *SLIGHTLY* better but even then you're better off picking your own components - you're not really going to get much future-proofing out of a $350 barebones kit, I know from experience. I'd rather pay the extra money and buy one part once than go cheap and have to buy the same part twice. You have to think of it in terms of time v. money.
Score
0

Best solution

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 7:27:50 PM
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 7:31:27 PM

mahin1islam said:
ok. there is no reason to put a gpu as part of the price, i was gonna buy one separately anyways. i can upgrade the PSU if necessary. im just concerned with the setup you gave me. The processor sux alot.

i found another one than i seem to kike. It is less than $450. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
it has a 2500k, which seems like an really good CPU to balance a future kepler GPU. i would obviiously need to upgrade my PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i just want to make a somewhat futureproof rig, and a pentium isnt going to help me do that. my other rig im buildidng is a quick budget rig. for that, imma use http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... and probably pair it up with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for a sub $400 rig.

wat do u think? :) 


the 7770 isn't very good for the price and is beaten by the 6850 and even the 6790 which cost less. Buying a barebone combo and then upgrading the psu doesn't make any sense. Why are you putting a dedicated gpu in your budget rig? SAve the money and get a i5-2400 with the combo i showed you. Your pinching every penny on your gaming rig then spend $150 on the gpu of your budget rig?
Score
0
February 23, 2012 8:17:06 PM

Quote:
the 7770 isn't very good for the price and is beaten by the 6850 and even the 6790 which cost less. Buying a barebone combo and then upgrading the psu doesn't make any sense. Why are you putting a dedicated gpu in your budget rig? SAve the money and get a i5-2400 with the combo i showed you. Your pinching every penny on your gaming rig then spend $150 on the gpu of your budget rig?

Actually...i think your combo is genius, and i will probably follow it's guidelines (Thanks btw). i just want to make a few tweaks
CPU: i3-2125 ($150)
MOBO: dunno much about that. ill take ur suggestion ($55)
RAM: i like ur suggestion 4 that 1 too :)  ($20)
PSU: Corsair CX600 (i need to prepare for a better GPU) ($50)
Case: how about a cheaper one? is $50 really neccesary?
HDD: this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($80)
Optical Drive: sure...watever works :D  ($15)
over all about $420, which seems just right.

wat do u think about that? is there any other adjustments i should make? any other comments or suggestions?

Also...is that motherboard alright? i dunno much about MOBOs, but will it be compatible w/ all sandy bridge CPUs, and will it work with Nvidia Kepler? also...is that PSU good 4 kepler.

thx 4 ur comments! :D 
Score
0
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 8:59:06 PM

mahin1islam said:
Actually...i think your combo is genius, and i will probably follow it's guidelines (Thanks btw). i just want to make a few tweaks
CPU: i3-2125 ($150)
MOBO: dunno much about that. ill take ur suggestion ($55)
RAM: i like ur suggestion 4 that 1 too :)  ($20)
PSU: Corsair CX600 (i need to prepare for a better GPU) ($50)
Case: how about a cheaper one? is $50 really neccesary?
HDD: this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($80)
Optical Drive: sure...watever works :D  ($15)
over all about $420, which seems just right.

wat do u think about that? is there any other adjustments i should make? any other comments or suggestions?

Also...is that motherboard alright? i dunno much about MOBOs, but will it be compatible w/ all sandy bridge CPUs, and will it work with Nvidia Kepler? also...is that PSU good 4 kepler.

thx 4 ur comments! :D 


the i3-2125 only has a better integrated graphics not worth the extra money if your getting a dedicated graphics card. the i5-2400 for a $180 is a much better choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., Since it's quad core it will be much more future proof.

For the case you can get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . It's $20 although the coolermaster case is really good value and has better much airflow.

The motherboard is okay. it doesn't have pci-express 3, if you want that you need to spend at least $120 on the motherboard. Keep in mind that kepler is pci-e 3 and although it will work with pci 2 fine, if you really want a "futureproof" motherboard you need a X68.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 9:07:49 PM

If your building a budget computer just for browsing and light gaming. You can go with the amd llano APU's which have integrated graphics. It's not great but more than enough for light usage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $65 cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59 mainboard

psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and you can use the case and ram from the gaming build.

with the money you saved building the budget build you get this motherboard instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which has pci-3 and support for the ivy bridge processor as well and use the rest of the parts and the i5-2400. When you put in the Kepler GPU you'll have a really good gaming computer, instead of two half-asses ones.


Score
0
February 25, 2012 3:19:39 PM

Quote:
the i3-2125 only has a better integrated graphics not worth the extra money if your getting a dedicated graphics card. the i5-2400 for a $180 is a much better choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., Since it's quad core it will be much more future proof.

For the case you can get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . It's $20 although the coolermaster case is really good value and has better much airflow.

The motherboard is okay. it doesn't have pci-express 3, if you want that you need to spend at least $120 on the motherboard. Keep in mind that kepler is pci-e 3 and although it will work with pci 2 fine, if you really want a "futureproof" motherboard you need a X68.


ight. i decided to go for the original i3 2120 that you said, i dont have the money for an i5. i pretty much agree with all the parts listed above except for the case and PSU. i decided that the $50 dollar coolermaster case is a bit too much, and i came across this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

what do you think? is it good?

as i said earlier, i will go for the corsair CX600 psu ($50) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... because i will need to prepare for a future GPU.

so, is the case i selected good?

thanks for all your useful comments.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 3:33:07 PM

Best answer selected by mahin1islam.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 5:31:39 PM

The case is fine.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 9:47:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0