Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD fx4100 w/MSI mobo

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 4:28:43 AM

I'm new to the whole PC building and I was wondering if the following would work...
AMD FX 4100 3.6ghz (3.8ghz turbo)
MSI 990FXA-GD80
(2x2GB) 4GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Corsair TX650w
1x WD 1.5TB black caviar 6.0gb/s 7200rpm
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1x 200mm (red LED) COOLERMASTER fan

I have yet to build it and open it because my friend said i should ask you guys before opening anything

More about : amd fx4100 msi mobo

February 23, 2012 4:42:28 AM

The fx series seems to have alot of problems and honestly nothing beats and i5 2500k for gaming and normal computing. Its definitly worth it to spend the money. If not get the i3.

The board your looking at isnt the greatest brand to be honest, not bad but you could do better especially for $195. I recommend a Asus or gigabyte, Asus more. Just go with the 68 series boards and you will be good.

The ram is fine aslong as its low profile, without the tall heatsinks. The tall ram doesnt fit with the hyper 212. Reccomended for gaming is 8gb. Ram is cheap enough now that you might aswell get as much as you can. Its always better to get 2 high GB then 4 lower. So get 2x4gb if you can.

560 is a great card, especially if you plan to sli them later. 570 is a better bang for the buck but it all depends on your budget.

Other than that everything looks great.
Score
February 23, 2012 4:43:16 AM

If you intend on gaming on this, do yourself a favour and get something from Intel. Even the $60 G620 matches the FX4100 at stock. Get a $180 i5 2400 + $120 Z68 board for the money.

The rest looks good.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 23, 2012 4:51:57 AM

Hello there.
First of all (at least this is the way i was doing it back then) check all your parts for compatibility. For example go to motherboards web page and check ram sockets cpu socket and compatibility list of cpu`s. Then the VGA compare for example GeForce GTX 560 Ti good card (but my mobo can support SLI if i need more performance or should i give more $ for a better card). Basically you choose your way you want to drive to. Have a nice day and think about it. Maybe spending $150 -200 is a good idea maybe is bad. By the way the system looks cool if is possible to hit 6gb of ram is gonna be even better.
February 23, 2012 5:01:44 AM

Thanks for the feed back I constructed it pretty fast and went with AMD because the technology they use on the cpu isnt fully utilized in windows7 and windows 8 will fully utilize these cores and it was $75 from new egg and that isnt bad for a CPU and I may stand corrected because after building it with no debug leds or any sign of errors I dont get any display image to my monitor and it works with every other device in my house except my $950 PC which is listed at the top and it is not even picking up the card but the mobo says its fine and since the 990fx has to be flashed before it can utilize the AM3+ chipsets which i have no other cpu to use to install a proper bios, I'm stuck and I'm kinda now regretting getting AMD or at least the fx series. Any help would be appreciated
Score
March 1, 2012 8:42:30 PM

Best answer selected by DEH_HAMBURGLAR.
Score
!