Solved

Amateur Gaming Build

Hi everyone

I'm new to TomsHardware and have been browsing for a while researching for a gaming PC build of my own.

My knowledge on these matters is mediocre at best, I've built some PC's but haven't kept up to date recently.

Please can you look over my First draft below and give me any comments on components you think may not work, are unnecessary in price or performance, or are out of my scope in terms of their gadgets that I wont be able to take proper advantage of. Thanks!!

CPU: i5 2500K - which I will overclock a little, but nothing out of a noobs control.

MB: Either the ASUS P8P67 Pro
OR ASUS P8Z68-V

With the motherboard I'd like to be able to SLI in a couple years time, apart from that I dont mind about SSD and the other bells and whistles that I will never use. I can't seem to decide between 67 and 68... please help!

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB - This seems to be the entry level 'good' card.

RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4) 1600 with heatsink - I know GSkill (is that the correct name?) is more popular, but my country doesn't import that brand. I have Kingston or Corsair only.

PSU: Corsair TX 750W (Sli Ready)

Cooler/Heatsink: I have one chosen, mid range.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb. 32mb cache SATA 6.

** I will be buying ALL components new, Screen and mouse etc. but I need some advice on the compatibility of the core components above, I'd hate to order them and have some issues...
South Africa imports a lot of these components so they are a little expensive for us, adding close to 50% on to the price of a 'Mid range gaming PC'.

I've found the most difficult task in finding a suitable Motherboard and Memory thats compatible with the Board and CPU. Overall I'd like to get the best value, and leave space for future upgrades, like more RAM and GPU.

The PC will be used for gaming primarily, and very little media work, apart from HD movies...

I appreciate any response to this very long introduction!!!

Lance
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amateur gaming build
  1. Best answer
    Go with the ASUS p68 board. Its fully compatible with the new ivy bridge CPU coming out if you ever plan to upgrade. Plus it has a nice automatic overclocking feature in case you dont want to mess with it manually.

SSD's are nice for the OS, but its up to you whether the cost is worth it for a quick start up time.

560 is a great entry card especially if you want to sli two of them together. But depending on what games your looking to do you might being sli'ing them sooner than later. evga is a great brand for GPU. The gtx 570 is a better bang for you buck in my opinion and will give you a little bit more time before you need to SLI.

Your going to need a after market CPU cooler if you plan to OC, the hyper 212 is a great one and its only about $30. Not sure how much it would be in S. Africa tho.

Get RAM without the tall heatsinks, you need low profile RAM to fit with the CPU cooler. The heatsinks make the RAM to tall to fit.

Other than that is all looks good. 750w is plenty for 2 560's, but i would say 850w for 2 570's
  2. Thank you your advice is brilliant!

GPU wise I can't afford the 570, (converting, its another 120USD for me)

I've noticed the chat about low profile RAM, I will look through my price list again and find an alternative,

Wow OK the CPU cooler I had in mind is double the price of the one you mentioned, having no idea in this department I wanted to be safe, so I will look again and see if there is a good midway option.

For interest sake, the Hyper 212 is 43USD (converted) here.

As for the motherboard, Ill take your advice, although I have read some threads of issues with the auto OC function not performing well, but its a small detail I can address when the time comes.

Thank you
  3. I have one more concern, in the write up for the ASUS P8Z68-V, it says:

3 x PCI-e 2.0 (16x+4x)

If I were to SLI, would it be (16x/8x) or (16x/4x) and is there a large difference here in performance?
    I could possibly be completely off track with this, I've seen other boards advertised as (16x/8x in Dual GPU)

So thats where my concern comes from.

Any info appreciated!
  4. Yeah the 560 is a great card so no worries there just all comes down to your budget. Either way you will be happy.

I personally have this RAM in my build with the Asus p68 mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173 good brand, not a bad price, and looks great with the blue on the mobo.

There not reason to spend alot on a cpu cooler. The hyper 212 is the most popular one there is because it works great. Honestly for the performance it does it should be more expensive.

Well the auto OC isnt going to work as great as if you did it yourself. It tends to give you more performance than you actually need than if you did it manually. But alot of people dont know much about fine tuning an OC or just dont want to deal with it. So its a nice feature for a basic overclock that you know will be stable and give you good performance. I personally think it works great. Alot of people who give it bad credit, are people who really know how to OC a CPU to its full potential..so of course they wont be happy because they can do it better them selves.
  5. Best answer selected by LanceSurge.
  6. Thanks again

Cheers
  7. lancesurge said:
    I have one more concern, in the write up for the ASUS P8Z68-V, it says:

3 x PCI-e 2.0 (16x+4x)

If I were to SLI, would it be (16x/8x) or (16x/4x) and is there a large difference here in performance?
    I could possibly be completely off track with this, I've seen other boards advertised as (16x/8x in Dual GPU)

So thats where my concern comes from.

Any info appreciated!

If you have one graphics card in the top slot your using 16x. If you have one in the top and one in the middle you will be using 8x on each card. Most motherboards are the same deal. Not 100% about the 3rd one 4x slot one to be honest. I know you can put a graphics card in it but im not sure what the difference is. I have that board and plan to sli two gtx 580's together and dont plan on putting a 3rd one in unless i will the lottery so never looking into it that deeply. I did watch a few videos/ reviews about the difference on 16x and 8x, but they had alot of mixed reviews on if there was really that much of a performance difference. Some say there isnt, some say there is a little bit. Either way its a great board and is highly recommended. So i wouldnt worry about it to much. There isnt really a need to sli over 2 cards anyways unless you got alot of money and want to show off. By the time you would actually need to sli 3 cards, there would already be a card that would be more powerful. two gtx 560 in sli are a little bit more powerful than a gtx 580. So it gives you an idea on how much technology advances in just a few years.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems