• 23 %
  • It's too expensive
  • 45 %
  • *I* ahem, only use nVidia products
  • 15 %
  • *I* ahem, only use Intel HD 3000 graphics
  • 9 %
December 24, 2011 6:14:24 PM

Who ordered a 7970? My Sapphire 7970 will enter the country on Jan 20th then make it's way in to my adoring arms afterwards.

More about : ordered radeon 7970

December 24, 2011 6:18:53 PM

It looks very promising, but i will hold out a bit longer.
December 24, 2011 6:33:03 PM

Ill Pass On Radeon Until They Get Wide-Spread GPU Computing And PhyX Support Not That They Are Bad Cards Or Anything, I Like My Highly Overclocked GTX460SE Just Fine. However I Am Getting Myself A 24" DELL S-IPS Display.
Related resources
December 24, 2011 6:42:47 PM

hella-d said:
Ill Pass On Radeon Until They Get Wide-Spread GPU Computing And PhyX Support Not That They Are Bad Cards Or Anything, I Like My Highly Overclocked GTX460SE Just Fine. However I Am Getting Myself A 24" DELL S-IPS Display.

You will never see PhysX on ATI cards since its owned by Nvidia(Who bought out the creators of PhysX.).
AMD does have Direct Compute and other GPU computation options(OpenCL)

In fact they had some before Nvidia did(could use folding@home on ATI long before).
December 24, 2011 6:50:45 PM

I don't care, my 560 Ti is doing great in every game. Not planning to upgrade any time soon.
December 24, 2011 7:07:28 PM

they need to update current games and make games in the next year that can utilize all of my 6950 2gb and use a 4 core to its max. every game out right now is a console port that can look its best with a 5770
December 24, 2011 7:17:43 PM

dontcrosthestreams said:
they need to update current games and make games in the next year that can utilize all of my 6950 2gb and use a 4 core to its max. every game out right now is a console port that can look its best with a 5770

Well, not with a 5770, but point taken. Not just 4 cores, but also make use of 8 cores and HT.
Anonymous
December 24, 2011 7:54:19 PM

My Sapphire 5850 still do very good on my resolution 1280x1024. I'm not a serious gamer but always like to be upgraded. I very like ATi products but seriously till their "Gaming Evolved" sponsorship getting as mature as TWIMTBP, and also GCN Architecture as well in front of CUDA, And Many more things in case of softwares using them, Partners with major Software Developers like Autodesk and Adobe, Yes something replacing Agia Physics for game developers ......... :) 
Maybe have to wait 6 months and saving money and keep an eye on NVIDIA's as well and also NON-Reference PCBs from the two of them. Then I first choose my next MONITOR and renew my whole PC parts that I have had it for 2 years.... if that worth it.
Anyway this poll must had some other choices but I chose 3rd one ;) 
Anonymous
December 24, 2011 8:09:38 PM

Quote:
5850 at your resolution :pfff:  :lol: 

Meh :p 
December 24, 2011 8:45:49 PM

hella-d said:
Ill Pass On Radeon Until They Get Wide-Spread GPU Computing And PhyX Support

You're in luck. The new architecture and GCN just put AMD on par with Fermi for GPU computing. For Physx though you won't see AMD licencing it because Physx isn't needed for physics. There are some Physx branded effects in games like UT3 where you can break apart barriers with smoke and blow up signs but they're Phsyx only because of business and not technological limitations. Nvidia is guilty for that. Physx had a bright future when they got it and they used it as a weapon and now it's irrelevant and may go the way of the dodo bird. If you disagree then then I agree you disagree and I recommend googling physx supported games.

December 24, 2011 8:58:02 PM

intel hd 3000 FTW :p 
Anonymous
December 24, 2011 9:23:58 PM

woshitudou said:
You're in luck. The new architecture and GCN just put AMD on par with Fermi for GPU computing. For Physx though you won't see AMD licencing it because Physx isn't needed for physics. There are some Physx branded effects in games like UT3 where you can break apart barriers with smoke and blow up signs but they're Phsyx only because of business and not technological limitations. Nvidia is guilty for that. Physx had a bright future when they got it and they used it as a weapon and now it's irrelevant and may go the way of the dodo bird. If you disagree then then I agree you disagree and I recommend googling physx supported games.

Yes its a business move, but its a move & AMD have to move on faster.
December 24, 2011 9:51:29 PM

Hey is it legal to take your own topic off topic? Anyhow, I don't think AMD should get in to physics. I think current game developers are doing well enough.
December 24, 2011 9:58:19 PM

woshitudou said:
Hey is it legal to take your own topic off topic? Anyhow, I don't think AMD should get in to physics. I think current game developers are doing well enough.

What do you mean, "game developers"?

I wouldn't pay extra for PhysX, but it's nice to have... Take Mirror's Edge w/ PhysX vs. w/o: with PhysX, everything is just so damn entertaining - showers of glass flying around, etc. It's a business move, of course, there're physics engines like Havok which work just as good (Just Cause 2, for example), but it's not like buying AMD cards will stop nVidia from pushing PhysX - might as well have it :) 
December 25, 2011 2:12:37 AM

Is there really a point? Game developers will STILL cater to consoles, anyway. I'll stick with my newer GTX 460 SE for a while. It plays Crysis, I'm good. My CPU, on the other hand, is probably my system's bottleneck for gaming, an E6750. Unfortunately nowadays, a CPU upgrade is a major deal. New Mobo, new memory, then new CPU, not that I wouldn't mind a new mobo, because I know at least one of the DIMM slots are dead, anyway. I'll invest when Windows 8 comes out.
December 25, 2011 2:26:48 AM

my processor is my bottleneck, been with this build for a few years, AMD X2 5000+ Nvidia 9600gt. that 2.6ghz processor is keeping me back in skyrim, and UT3.

so now, im saving up for a new processor, Motherboard, and Ram.
Than once thats said and done, il be keeping a eye on graphics cards..
as of now though, my focus is on processors.
Im looking for a good motherboard to work for me into the next few years..
Trying to avoid pci slots, and only having 7x pci express, not wanting to spend $300 on a board though.
December 25, 2011 4:58:12 AM

JOSHSKORN said:
Is there really a point? Game developers will STILL cater to consoles, anyway. I'll stick with my newer GTX 460 SE for a while. It plays Crysis, I'm good. My CPU, on the other hand, is probably my system's bottleneck for gaming, an E6750. Unfortunately nowadays, a CPU upgrade is a major deal.

Yeah, it depends on who you are, I think. While it's true that many games are trending away from full-blown graphical extravagance, I have been asked to build four gaming PC's in the past month, "for Battlefield 3," and, "to play Skyrim." I don't think these cards are for the type of person who says, "It plays XYZ, so I'm good." I think they are for those people who ask how smooth and solid the frame rates are, and whether the image quality settings are maxed, and whether or not we could push for a higher resolution. These are still top considerations for some poor souls like myself, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Since I get the occasional hiccup playing BF3 or Skyrim on a GTX 570 at 1920x1200 with settings to my liking, a 7970 or SLI 570's is still not an exercise in futility for me. Your point is well taken regarding the CPU, tho. I am running a Core i5-750, and I would probably build a new system rather than upgrade graphics alone on my current system.
December 27, 2011 10:55:41 PM

HOW DO I ORDER OR SEE WHATS ALREADY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FOR A RADEON 7970?!

PLEASE DO TELL!!!!!
December 27, 2011 11:17:07 PM

OK ok ok...Jeez...So back to the Question?

Where Can I Find or get a 7970 Ordered? Not the Reviews which i have memorized!. But One to Get a price, specs and order. Thanks.
December 28, 2011 4:32:32 AM

trying to decide 2 6970s or 1 7970
December 28, 2011 5:07:45 AM

how does someone only use intel HD 3000?!?
December 28, 2011 5:01:13 PM

OK, so...does anyone know where or how to pre order a 7970?Not reviews but pricing and add to cart would be nice :) 
December 28, 2011 8:13:18 PM

esrever said:
how does someone only use intel HD 3000?!?

Works fine under Media Center and PowerDVD for bluray. Works for very light gaming. at low-med settings :) 
December 28, 2011 8:45:09 PM

lol my current pc is using a 256mb nvidea geoforce 6150 se intergrated card its terrible acer made a quadcore with 4 gigs of dual channel ram and up with the vid card massivly lol minecraft minimum settings minimized at low render distance rarley goes over 35 fps
December 29, 2011 12:43:09 AM

Right now my limiting factor is my HDD, so next upgrade is an SSD for boot/games. I don't see myself upgrading from the 5770 anytime soon. Like others have said, you can buy the latest and greatest GPU but what good will it do if the graphics aren't up to par? Now of course there are exceptions like if your running 3 or 4 monitors, or you want ungodly frame rates. But as of right now the 5770 allows me to play BF3@1920x1080 with max settings in a 64 person room without a hiccup, ATI has always been good to me.

But I'm not saying if I was offered a 7970 for $150that I would turn it down. :) 
December 29, 2011 1:03:31 AM

there overkill im sure all gamers know that lol
December 29, 2011 1:25:36 AM

robthatguyx said:
lol my current pc is using a 256mb nvidea geoforce 6150 se intergrated card its terrible acer made a quadcore with 4 gigs of dual channel ram and up with the vid card massivly lol minecraft minimum settings minimized at low render distance rarley goes over 35 fps

:bounce: 
?? How is that possible ??? :o 
I am using an Phenom Triple-Core (Not Phenom II) and with an 128MB Nvidia Geforce 6100 IGP and I can play Minecraft at Fancy with Normal Render Distance...
Even tho is it lags a bit when I also enable Smooth Lighting. :??: 

I EXTREMELY recommend to install OptiFine for Minecraft since it boosted my FPS from 31 to 65.

Hope it helps to decrease your Lag. :) 
_
Edit : Now that's what I call a off-topic. :D 

Edit 2 : Who uses Intel HD 3000? Everyone knows that everyone uses GMA 950...
December 29, 2011 2:15:39 AM

idk its terrible lol maybe i should install the drivers for it if it has any
December 29, 2011 9:47:18 AM

Radeon Xpress X1050 is the future. Ya'll intel 950s dont know how to render.
January 5, 2012 5:58:55 AM

Here's my attitude about this hype over the 7970. Yes it will be a great card, but experience has taught me, be patient. A video card is only as good as it's drivers, and right now this way to early to tell. Give the developers time to really tweak up the drivers, and greater stability plus performance with newer games will become evident over time. (Anybody remember the Rage nightmare? :fou:  ) Drivers, drivers, drivers. :sol:  Lastly I personally have my eye on the 7950, now showing a release date of February, rather than January. I am a huge fan of the Toxic Editions by Sapphire so I will completely hold out until they release one in this flavor. I am currently still running a 5850 Toxic, and have yet to find any game that can cripple it, at 1920X1080 things are quite stable and very enjoyable, at 60 to 80 frames per second games are still very smooth.

ASUS Sabertooth X58, I7 940, 6Gb Corsair XMS3 Tri-channel,Corsair CMPSU-850TX, Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition
January 5, 2012 9:23:17 AM

W/ 7970 I'm looking for sale of 69xx series... save some money
January 5, 2012 11:48:58 AM

Wow some people actually still talk about physx? Anyways, now that I'm done with BF3, there just isn't anything super demanding coming out for a while that has me all riled up. I'm going to wait for Kepler and see how all the chips fall. Would like to see what the 78xx cards can do, and how all the pricing ends up before I go for an upgrade. Can't say the thought of a 7970 doesn't get me going though either.
January 5, 2012 7:07:45 PM

I used to use a nvidia 9200 integrated got fed up with it being terrible then upgraded to the radeon hd 5450.

Would have gone with something better but im limited to my case size (hence the low profile card) and my 220w PSU
January 7, 2012 10:26:20 AM

I will want to get it within the month if only somebody can sell it below 300 SGD. Army pay is low to afford. I'm using a GTX 550 Ti, it won't be powerful enough for BF3 on max settings.
January 9, 2012 10:46:03 AM

i ordered a 7970. upgrading from a 5770. so its a pretty big upgrade for me. the rest of my system is still pretty damn good but the video was lacking. so it needed improved. i considered a 6970 but since Im never an early adopter nor have i ever had a top of the line graphics card i figured I'd take the leap.

finally i will have something that can properly drive my 3 27" monitors.
January 10, 2012 11:53:27 PM

woshitudou said:
Who ordered a 7970? My Sapphire 7970 will enter the country on Jan 20th then make it's way in to my adoring arms afterwards.

Im waiting for the windows xp drivers to come out... serious.
January 11, 2012 2:05:48 AM

what?? why are you still on xp?
January 11, 2012 2:19:37 AM

campdude said:
Im waiting for the windows xp drivers to come out... serious.

Unless you are on XP 64-bit, it is not advisable to order this card. It was 3gigabytes of video memory and XP will not address the rest of your system memory(It can address 4 across everything).

I hope you are just joking.
January 11, 2012 2:52:42 AM

yea im going with nuke, man you really need an os update
January 12, 2012 11:41:16 PM

nukemaster said:
Unless you are on XP 64-bit, it is not advisable to order this card. It was 3gigabytes of video memory and XP will not address the rest of your system memory(It can address 4 across everything).

I hope you are just joking.

I wasnt joking... i didnt know there was an error in having 3 gigs of video ram?

so looks like i should purchase a GTX 580 1.5 gigs? they have a 3 gig version that does have xp drivers.

I thought the system would page to allocate some of that stuff.

you can page as much as you want.
oh yes i do have windows xp 32-bit... too many games installed to delete and start a new operating system.
January 13, 2012 12:15:47 AM

If your games are on Steam, you can do a backup and restore, but will need to get your save games for any that do not have Steam Cloud.

Ok, well unless you need a card with very high vram(pushing more then 1920 x 1200), it may be something to watch out for.

In general 32 bit XP can address 4 GB of memory. This includes the memory on your video card.

Most users end up having trouble to get XP to see much over 3.25 or so(highest i got was 3.62). This is due to other memory addressing done by windows. You can page all you need still. but it is much slower then having more free memory.

That becomes an issue when you push a video card with so much memory

This system had 4gigabytes of memory and a 4mb video card. The average for even a 1gigabyte card should be close to 4 gigabytes.
January 13, 2012 11:40:29 PM

I just got word back from an e-mail that in two weeks the next version of the catalyst drivers "should" support xp.

I do not have slow paging on my computer because i have my pagefile on a ram drive.
(i have over 4 gigs of ram)

Looks like i might get this card if they do release the xp drivers which is looking more brighter than i thought.

A reason to stay with XP is because it has true DX 9 mode pure.
FarCry 2 actually has reduced foilage in the DX 9 version of Windows 7. The only reason its faster in Windows 7 is because again the reduced foilage in windows 7/DX9 or DX 10.

The only reason i know this first hand is because i ran FarCry 2 in both Win 7 and Win XP and compared them. I have both im not that backwards.. i just want both my operating systems to work. I also am avoiding installing older games on Windows 7 so that the Windows 8 upgrade will be more seamless.

---------------------------------------

Quote: from AMD:

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200468586]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

The installation CD the card comes with may have an XP driver, the next driver release from AMD, out in a week or two, should also support the HD7xxx cards in XP. They tend to ignore XP when they release the hotfix driver between official releases.
January 13, 2012 11:43:32 PM

do any of youguys know if a asus maximus iv extreme edition will run a 7970 in CX 2 cards alot of pple are telling me it will others are telling me it wont
January 13, 2012 11:49:07 PM

robthatguyx said:
do any of youguys know if a asus maximus iv extreme edition will run a 7970 in CX 2 cards alot of pple are telling me it will others are telling me it wont

Quote Link http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

Maximus IV Extreme

REV 3.0 - New P67 B3 Revision
The Best Overclocking Experience on Intel P67 with ROG Motherboard

Multi-GPU Technology

SLI/CrossFireX On-Demand

Why choose when you can have both?
SLI or CrossFireX? Fret no longer because with the ROG Maximus IV Extreme, you´ll be able to run both multi-GPU setups. The board features SLI/CrossFireX on Demand technology, supporting SLI or CrossFireX configuration. Whichever path you take, you can be assured of jaw-dropping graphics at a level previously unseen
January 13, 2012 11:55:11 PM

Having the page file on a ram drive is good. This will allow windows to unload things to let your programs/games use ram better(without the massive slowdowns). My only worry is about a game that needs more then the 1gig(that should be the max memory windows will have access to) of addressable space you will have left.

I would be interested in your results when/if you get one of those cards(pm me if you go this route).

Personally I would get the fastest 1GB card I can, since most games will not need any more. You still get the advantage of your ram drive, but get more ram to run your programs.
January 14, 2012 12:57:12 AM

thanks now i know i can lol
January 14, 2012 3:24:01 AM

I would get it... if its like $200 :) 
!