Upgrading a Gateway?

LOL123

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hi guys,

My friend has a Gateway dx4840-03c and i did some research and it has a 300w PSU and the ATI 5570 GPU , he likes gaming and he really needs to upgrade, I feel that the amount of RAM (6GB) and CPU which is the i5 quad are substantial.

I am just curious on what his possibilites are, i know we defentily need to change the PSU and thats not that costly, also the 5570 is single slot so will it matter if i choose a dual slot GPU?

I have been thinking of the 6870 as it really is the perfect card for him, as it provides him with all the power he needs himself.

Should i think about installing new fans? or getting a new headsink for the CPU?

I want to make this computer into something that will last another year :)

Thanks!

PS: ill be helping him build it so its the advice on parts i need.

Oem systems by gateway or dell aren't designed for upgrading. They have a proprietary windows install tied to the original motherboard. Changing motherboards requires a new windows coa sticker and dvd. You may be able to change the power supply and video card, but I wouldn't recommend doing anything else. First, check the motherboard for any proprietary power supply connections. Go to newegg.com and check on some photos of ps connectors. I recommend antec, ocz, or corsair power supplies. The antec 650 earthwatts is around $80, but check for rebates on other models. 500 watts might be adequate if it has around 38 amps on the 12v rail, the most critical reading for your video card. I can't recommend a specific brand of video card, though I use powercolor. Asus has good ratings for most of their video cards, so you might check some of them out. The 6850 or 6870 are both good choices.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Back in the day I had a Gateway and dropped a 550w PSU and a 9600GT GPU in it and I was golden for WoW. However, later down the road I ended up having heat issues because the big box store PCs just aren't built for heavy duty cooling.

I definitely wouldn't recommend dual GPUs. Have a careful look at the case, and if it looks like you can upgrade your airflow somehow, a new PSU and card would be doable for most moderate gaming.

I wouldn't worry about the CPU cooling....you should be worried about the temp inside the case first. If its hot in the case, the CPU cooler won't do any good. CPU cooling is for overclocking (and require a cool area in the case).....case fans are for case heat.

LOL123

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks for the advice but yeah i wouldnt put dual GPU's in , was talking about Dual Slot GPU, but imma just pick up a 550W or 500W then pop in hopfully the new 7870 when it comes out

Thanks!