Your question
Closed

Random blackouts from time to time

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2011 7:34:34 PM

I just built my first computer and everything seems fine except at random times, my display 1 (i have dual monitors) has a black screen for 3 seconds, then it appears again for 2 seconds, then it's black again for another few seconds. After doing that for like 3 times, it stops and works like nothing was wrong. Then, maybe about 5-15minuetes later the same thing happens.

Here are my specs:
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
Intel Core i5 2500k
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 8GB
OCZ modXstream 600w

Oh, one other thing, my OS is windows 7 64bit except i just used the 3 backup disks from my acer laptop (which runs win7) and surprisingly it read and worked and so now im using acer-windows7 OS. (might be the cause...)

Please help, it's getting REALLY frustrating...(it flashed blackouts twice just while typing this post :(  )

thanks in advance!

More about : random blackouts time time

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 7:44:17 PM

Check the monitor connection to the video card as it might be loose. If that's not the case, try updating your drivers. If neither of these help, check the GPU's temps - you may be overheating or something (above 70C (unsure on this) is cause for concern).
December 24, 2011 7:48:34 PM

the screen that blackouts is using hdmi cable and also where do i check my gpu temperature, i got everest but im not sure where to check on there either. i jus installed latest XFX 6870 driver
Score
Related resources
January 3, 2012 10:57:40 PM

i know why now, it was my hdmi cable that was messed up, got a new one and it`s fine now
Score
January 3, 2012 11:01:28 PM

Best answer selected by hikurashi83.
Score
!