Help! My DVD-ROM keeps Disappearing!

GinoS

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
For some unknown reason my DVD-ROM disappears from my system. I can find it in the BIOS but Windows XP SP2 will not see it. I suspect it may be a power supply issue. I used to loose a harddrive from time to time but after I put in a new MB and rearranged my power connections that problem went away. I'm not using any kind of RAID array.

I get the DVD-ROM drive back if I disconnect the power and SATA connectors to the DVD-ROM and then boot up the computer. I then shut the computer down, reconnect the SATA and power supply to the DVD ROM and it magically re-appears.

If it's not a PSU issue, maybe it's Windows XP.

Any thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

My system:

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 Duo at 6600
2 Gigs Corsair 533 RAM
WD 250 Gig SATA
WD 120 Gig SATA
Lite-On DVD SATA
Plexor PX755 A DVD-RW SATA
Antec Neo Power 480
Lian-Li PC-60

GinoS

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Sorry I forgot to put in my video card. Its a Radeon X850. So, my system specs are:

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 Duo at 6600
2 Gigs Corsair 533 RAM
WD 250 Gig SATA
WD 120 Gig SATA
Lite-On DVD SATA
Plexor PX755 A DVD-RW SATA
Antec Neo Power 480
Lian-Li PC-60
Radeon X850
4 case fans, two 80mm, one 120mm, one in 51/4 bay.

Thanks

Could be a "faulty" connection. Try unplugging the IDE cable from the motherboard and the drive itself, then plug it back in.

You could also try using a different IDE cable, in case the cable itself is faulty.

Your DVD drive could also be faulty as well.

I can't think of anything else.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Dude, what is the brand of the optical drive? I had a terrible problem with my sister's computer that I put a dvd-rom and cd-rw and there was a fix or two and it didn't work well at all. At the time I acquired a pacific digital burner cheap as hell from work because it was on clearance and the combo drive on my sister's computer sucked. I tried multiple cables IDE cables and it didn't work. I really don't have any fixes for you but just so you don't lose your mind i figured that I would give ya a heads up.