First Build: Couple of Basic Questions

Metal-Superman

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hey, I have a question! I’m building a computer and this will be the first time I have done it on my own... and I’m wondering if I matched up all the parts correctly. Could you help me make sure it’s okay and that I’m not forgetting anything? Oh, and I also have a couple other questions while I’m at it. Are liquid CPU coolers easy to install or should I stick with fans? I plan on buying a second GPU to SLI later on down the road (hence the 1000W PSU), but does it have to be the exact same model? I'll primarily be using this computer for gaming. Thanks in advance.

Rosewill THOR V2 Full-Tower Case
Intel i5-2500K 3.3 Ghz Quad-Core CPU
EVGA Superclocked GTX 560 Ti 1GB
G. SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Ram
Rosewill 1000W PSU
ASROCK Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 1155 Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
ASUS 24x DVD Burner
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel SC
Cooler Master V6 GT RR-V6GT 120MM CPU Cooler
(or could I use the… instead?) Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

-A 750W PSU would also be far more than enough for two Ti's, so you should just get a good one of those. XFX XXX 750W, $100 after rebate.

-That case is awfully expensive. Get it if you really like its look, but know that almost anything $60 or over will be fine.

-You'd be fine with a $35 Hyper 212 EVO, but if you want to go higher I've heard that the EVGA Superclock is actually the best at $50. You do not need liquid cooling.

-The SLI card doesn't have to be exactly the same model, but it does have to be a 1gb 560 Ti.

-The sound card is a waste of money. You won't be able to hear the difference.

With the extra cash from the suggestions above, get a 570!

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I love that case!
Overclocking up to 4.5ghz and you're fine with air. Over that and you may want liquid.
+1 on that PSU being OP. You could easily go down to 850w.
+1 on the sound card comments. If you are going to get a sound card, at least get one that has a nice front mounted panel with volume switches and things like that. Not to mention with a sound card and two GPUs its going to get awfully crowded in there.

Metal-Superman

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'll opt out on the sound card then. I had no clue the motherboard supported (on-board) audio. Would I still need a dedicated sound card for gaming, if I have a nice $250 pair of AD700 headphones and an Astro Mixamp? Oh, and I think I'll also switch out the CPU cooler for the EVGA Superclock, thanks to kajabla's suggestion! Thanks everyone! You've all been a BIG help. :)

You don't need a sound card at all. Some serious audiophiles say they can hear the difference, but I kinda doubt it. I haven't yet found anyone willing to do a blind test. I can't hear the difference with my Xonar DG, which was a waste of money as I don't need a headphone amp, but then it's cheap. Amplification is one of the few things that justify a sound card, but it's rarely necessary. If you strap on those monstrous headphones and can't get above a murmur, you can order a Xonar DG.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

You forgot include SSD for the OS take a look at this link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

Metal-Superman

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'm gonna hold off an SSDs for at least another year. There's a speculative price drop supposedly happening in the second quarter of this year. In the meantime, I have a rather expensive list of items that I want to get before that. The HMZ-T1 3D Visor is next on that list, if a newer model hasn't been announced by then. Also, I plan on buying a copy of Windows 7 as soon as all the parts come in.