Computer resets a few times before booting windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijspieter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i have got the following problem:
i just built my new computer using only new parts exept for my hdd (hdd's are still expensive <-- flood in thailand)

these are my system specs:
mobo: asus p8z68-v pro
cpu: intel 2500k
(i think you won't need to know more)

the hdd i'm using is an old seagate (sata ii i think) wich makes annoying sounds... :(

now my problem is that every time i turn on my computer, the bios appears (wich doesn't even full screen, i have no idea why),
then the screen turns black and bios appears again and that might happen up to 3 times before windows is loading
sometimes i see (very short) a screen with something like "marvel controller...no hdd found...." and then the computer continues rebooting or starting windows
is all that just because i'm using an old hdd??

can someone please give me some explanation and maybe a solution?
thanks

Solution
I guess it could be a bad motherboard.

What all do you have in the PC right now?

Try disconnecting all your drives except the one boot drive and see if anything changes. That includes all CD/DVD/Blu Ray drives and all except 1 hard drive.
If you are at work, maybe you can ask your IT staff if you could borrow a 1333 stick and bring it back tomorrow, or something like that.

In the past, I used to be a network admin and I supported people's home PCs once in a while. From their perspective it probably really doesn't hurt anything if they are sure you will bring it back. Just tell them you will agree to sign for it and they would probably let it fly.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
-- There's just some brand of RAM even the popular ones are having bootup issues with some
popular ASUS mobo models particularly the PRO ones including those 1156 i7 sockets.
The best solution to eliminate those bootup issues you're having is to use the Asus MEMOK!
feature. Its a small button located near the RAM sockets where you can push it when you're
starting your bootup with that MEMOK, it will automatically adjust the BIOS settings related to
your RAM's timings, voltage settings, etc in order to properly load the files needed by the OS
(specially Windows 7) in the RAM to boot up properly.

- For additional info on how to use Asus MEMOK feature, read your mobo's manual. There's a
section there that further explains its features and use :)

Hope this helps...

arijspieter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i tried what you said and after holding the memok button for a few seconds, the computer resets.
i released and just watched. the computer did another reset and then i saw a flash of the "press dell to enter setup..." screen.
then came a bios screen i had never seen on my pc: "american megatrends...memok succeeded...press f1 for setup and save"
i did all that and the computer did antoher reset but the problem is still there... :(

this always happens:
i press power switch and computer start making the normal noises
i see the "asus motherb...press to enter setup..." and the computer resets
the second time i only see a flash of the "asus motherb...press to enter setup..." screen and then the following appears:
"marvel controller...no hard drive detected...press space to continue..."
without doing anything the screen disappears, the computer resets again.
now it normally goes to windows 7 but sometimes it even resets another time before doing windows 7

hard drive issue??

nebicanezer

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I had the same issue with my p8z68-v pro/gen3, after tons of google searching i found that i needed to do the following and it cleared up the "double boot" issue

Enter BIOS/Advanced Mode - Under the 'ADVANCED' tab go to 'Onboard Devices Configuration' and under the JMB storage controller disable the 'Display OptionROM in post'

This prevents the JMB storage controller (used for eSATA port on mobo) to report during post thus preventing it from interupting the splash screen and making it appear that it is loading twice.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

- Try these, maybe this would help.

1. Boot to BIOS, then set your mobo's settings to default.
* While in the BIOS, make sure you enable the following.
- Check if Asus T.PROBE feature is enabled if not, enable it.
- Make your boot sequence are HD(s) first, then Optical drive(s) 2nd, then USB drive(s) or other peripheral(s) 3rd and 4th.
* While in the BIOS proceed to step 2

2. Disable the ASUS Express Gate feature, its located somewhere but i forgot where it is but its easy to find.
* There are times Express gate feature interferes with the boot up in Win 7.

3. Save all the BIOS modifications you did and restart your rig and see if the problem still persist. If the restarts still there
dont modify the BIOS anymore, because its now set to default and let us know here, we'll try to find more solutions...

- Its not a hard drive issue but just asking, are you using two hard drives on any RAID configuration? Or just using one?
Also, whats the brand and model of the video card you're using?

arijspieter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i tried what you said but i can't find the express gate feature... *edit: i don't think it's installed
anyway, i did the rest and after the restart i got this screen: "reboot and select proper boot device..."
i just pressed alt+ctrl+del and the computer didnt show it anymore but the old problems are still there

when i boot using intel hd3000 graphics:
this used to work really good as i tested this last week a couple of times
now everything seems to work perfect with integrated graphics till the windows loading screen dissapears and my screen turns black (and stays black: "no dvi signal")

i'm using a single hdd: an old seagate
as soon as hdd prices lower, i will buy a new hdd

my graphics card: ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5

arijspieter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
no it didnt. when i first booted my new pc, the first thing i did was a format and then a clean win7 pro install on it (without making extra partitions)

btw: a few hours ago my screen turned black while i was using the computer and after a few secs everything was back OK but i got a message: NVIDIA Display Driver stopped working....

arijspieter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i changed to my old GTS 250 but it's still not working...same problems
i tried the iGPU again (integrated) and evrything worked fine!!

maybe it's the nvidia drivers...i dont see anything else anymore
on this computer i have the newest nvidia drivers and on my old pc (the pc wich runs with the gts 250) i have older nvidia drivers...
the old computer works fine and never has any display problems
the new computer has a boot problem and the display driver sometime crashes...(display gone for like 1 or 2 seconds and message)

am i right with that??
thx for help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.