Status
Not open for further replies.

gaupz

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
In my AMD VISION engine control center i see i can turn my core clock of my amd 5850 GPU from 725mhz to 775 mhz...just wondering if i can wreck my GPU by doing this? my fan is at 65% and in bf3 @ high settings i run about 50-55 degrees Celsius.... I did infact try and turn it to 775mhz but my screen flickered a bit so i turned it back to 725

Solution
775 MHz shouldn't be a harm for your card, and as long as you're stable with the right clocks and settings you won't wreck your GPU.

For Overclocking your GPU you start to bump up Core, Memory, clocks by low value, say (50 MHz) then you test your OC stability (play games and make load on GPU).
If no problems happen (crashes,freezes, BSODs) then you're fine and you can bump those a little bit higher.
Repeat it many times until you reach the limits of your OC (until you crash or you get BSOD)

Note 1: Check temperatures after each OC you do.
Note 2: Don't mess up with voltages as long as you're stable. IF you're unstable bump up voltages a little bit high but i recommend you to ask first.
775 MHz shouldn't be a harm for your card, and as long as you're stable with the right clocks and settings you won't wreck your GPU.

For Overclocking your GPU you start to bump up Core, Memory, clocks by low value, say (50 MHz) then you test your OC stability (play games and make load on GPU).
If no problems happen (crashes,freezes, BSODs) then you're fine and you can bump those a little bit higher.
Repeat it many times until you reach the limits of your OC (until you crash or you get BSOD)

Note 1: Check temperatures after each OC you do.
Note 2: Don't mess up with voltages as long as you're stable. IF you're unstable bump up voltages a little bit high but i recommend you to ask first.

Solution

gaupz

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I don't want to OC my card id just like to know the proper way to set it @ 775mhz with out harming it, should i increase by 10mhz each time? do i have to change my memory clock? why did it flicker my screen after i changed it from 725-775mhz?

When you set it to 775 you're actually overcloking your card, for the complete performance boost you have to overclock your memory clock.

Maybe your OC was high, each brand has it's own PCB features and designs, different brands have different OCing potentiality, try to jump from 725 to 750, then increase it a little bit by 10 MHz each step, here's a great guide will help you understand some facts...
http://icrontic.com/article/overclocking-the-radeon-hd-5850

Mine runs 775/1125 no problem. It'll just run hotter and it'll still run 157/300 at idle.

I need to run my fan at 60% though when gaming to keep the card under 75c. (it's still summer here so it's still warm)

I always buy XFX video cards, then I don't have to worry about whether I wreck the gpu, it's got a lifetime warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.