kenneth

I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit and
every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was cheating.

I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
too.

Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I remember
on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against cheating.

How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
gamertag.)

I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if I
have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during regular
play sessions.

Kenneth wrote:
> I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit and
> every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was cheating.
>
> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
> would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
> too.
>
> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I remember
> on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against cheating.
>
> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
> gamertag.)
>
> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if I
> have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during regular
> play sessions.

One of my friends told me that some people cheat by hitting the standby
button on their modem. I'm not sure what it does for other users, but
that could be it.

Swi

"Kenneth" <Noname@domain.com> wrote in message
> I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit
and
> every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was
cheating.

> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
> would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
> too.
>
> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I remember
> on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against cheating.
>
> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
> gamertag.)
>
> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if
> have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during
regular
> play sessions.

Sounds more like symptoms of lagging rather than cheating. When people are
lagging, instead of seeing them smoothly move from one place to another,
your system will plot their location, they'll appear to run in place while
your system tries to figure out where they are, and when the new location
data finally arrives, they are actually no longer where your system thought
they were, so it repositions them abruptly. In the brief time that I was on
Xbox Live, I never saw it--it was more prevalent in PS2 games such as SOCOM.

Cheating is more along the lines of players taking more damage than they
should be allowed to sustain without dying, having access to weapons that
never seem to need reloading, or positioning themselves in a place where
they should not be able to go. The latter two are easier to spot, but the
former is often a judgment call...since everyone who gets toasted *swears*
that they should have killed the person who killed them first, and therefore
think that their killer must be cheating.

Kenneth wrote:
> I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit and
> every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was cheating.
>
> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
> would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
> too.
>
> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I remember
> on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against cheating.
>
> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
> gamertag.)
>
> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if I
> have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during regular
> play sessions.

Get used to cheating as it is pretty common in most online games. Best
bet is to find some people you know to play with or something similar if
you want to really avoid it. Far too many people out there that think
winning is everything or having the highest ranking/stats are the most
important things in life. Seems alot of people have forgotten it is just
a game they are playing...

Android wrote:
since everyone who gets toasted *swears*
> that they should have killed the person who killed them first

Only cause it's true. ;)

robin

"Kenneth" <Noname@domain.com> wrote in message
>I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo
>2 rumble pit and every now then I would hear guys yell that
>one of the players was cheating.
>
> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then
> all of sudden I would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy
> in front of me just disappear too.
>
> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go
> on as I remember on the bungie website that they take
> steps to guard against cheating.
>
> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did
> report the gamertag.)
>
> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest
> pretty quick if I have to go up against cheaters. Its bad
> enough I get spanked during regular play sessions.

That sounds more like a lagging game. I've read about a
cheat where if you hit the standby button on certain models
of modems it sends all the other players into the blue
screen, meanwhile the cheater can run around killing
everyone while they are in blue screen. I don't know if
this is urban legend or not, but if you come back from a
blue screen in a different spot with map default weapons
instead of the ones you were carrying, then that would be a
sure sign that happened.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

From what yov jvst described sovnds more like a lag issve then cheating. I
know there are cheaters on that game, Bvngie themselves admit it. However
lag can cavse the problems yov describe.

--
ItsKanetastic29 (formerly Union Kane)
"Kenneth" <Noname@domain.com> wrote in message
>I jvst had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rvmble pit and
>every now then I wovld hear gvys yell that one of the players was cheating.
>
> I also noticed that sometimes I wovld walk/rvn and then all of svdden I
> wovld jvst be somewhere else. I saw a gvy in front of me jvst disappear
> too.
>
> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I remember
> on the bvngie website that they take steps to gvard against cheating.
>
> How can people cheat and get away with it (althovgh I did report the
> gamertag.)
>
> I'm new to the whole online thing and covld lose interest pretty qvick if
> I have to go vp against cheaters. Its bad enovgh I get spanked dvring
> regvlar play sessions.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I wovldn't say that. There are some no dovbt. Most of the cheating is
taking advantage of glitches in the software.

--
ItsKanetastic29 (formerly Union Kane)

> Get vsed to cheating as it is pretty common in most online games. Best bet
> is to find some people yov know to play with or something similar if yov
> want to really avoid it. Far too many people ovt there that think winning
> is everything or having the highest ranking/stats are the most important
> things in life. Seems alot of people have forgotten it is jvst a game they
> are playing...

I wovldn't say that. There are some no dovbt. Most of the cheating is
taking advantage of glitches in the software. I agree with yov thovgh.
Bvild a nice short list of friends. It's too easy to make a lot of
"friends" on Halo 2.

--

"USAF LM" <MMMmmmmm@spam.eat> wrote in message
> Kenneth wrote:
>> I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit
>> and every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was
>> cheating.
>>
>> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
>> would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
>> too.
>>
>> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I
>> remember on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against
>> cheating.
>>
>> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
>> gamertag.)
>>
>> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if
>> I have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during
>> regular play sessions.
>
> One of my friends told me that some people cheat by hitting the standby
> button on their modem. I'm not sure what it does for other users, but
> that could be it.
>
> Swi

No, the standby modem cheat puts everyone else at the screen that says
"reconnecting to game, synchronizing game," or whatever while the cheater is
free to keep playing and kill whomever he pleases.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Kenneth" <Noname@domain.com> wrote in message
>> I just had my first experience with cheating. Was in Halo 2 rumble pit
> and
>> every now then I would hear guys yell that one of the players was
> cheating.
>>
>> I also noticed that sometimes I would walk/run and then all of sudden I
>> would just be somewhere else. I saw a guy in front of me just disappear
>> too.
>>
>> Are all these symptoms of cheating? If so, how can it go on as I
>> remember
>> on the bungie website that they take steps to guard against cheating.
>>
>> How can people cheat and get away with it (although I did report the
>> gamertag.)
>>
>> I'm new to the whole online thing and could lose interest pretty quick if
>> have to go up against cheaters. Its bad enough I get spanked during
> regular
>> play sessions.
>
> Sounds more like symptoms of lagging rather than cheating. When people
> are
> lagging, instead of seeing them smoothly move from one place to another,
> your system will plot their location, they'll appear to run in place while
> your system tries to figure out where they are, and when the new location
> data finally arrives, they are actually no longer where your system
> thought
> they were, so it repositions them abruptly. In the brief time that I was
> on
> Xbox Live, I never saw it--it was more prevalent in PS2 games such as
> SOCOM.

Wow, you never played the first Ghost Recon after the patch, did you?

TRENDING THREADS